Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am planning on doing the gastric sleeve but I have no idea how to go about it ... I don't know how to start the process and insurance and all that other stuff ... Need help please !

I would say your first step is to call your insurance company and verify that wls is covered. If it is get the requirements from them.

A hospital near me had a bariatric program. I contacted them first and I had to either go to a seminar or watch a video. After I did that, they checked on my insurance and recommended a surgeon. My insurance did not cover it which I was prepared for. But if they had, the hospital bariatric coordinator would have let me know the requirements.

During a scheduled follow-up with my primary care physician, I asked him if he thought I would be a good candidate for a lap band. I knew I did not want a bypass and I had never even heard of a sleeve.

He gave me contact information for the Bariatric Clinic at Loyola University Medical Center. They had me watch a 20 minute video on line which explained the various options on bariatric surgery. I asked for a sleeve and the doc agreed that I would be a suitable candidate.

I found out of this forum because it was suggested in the documents they gave me.

Also talk to your primary physician. Are you having any obesity related issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, joint pain, etc? Insurance may not cover wls unless you have exhibited obesity related issues especially at only 20 years old. Ask your dr what he/she thinks of you having wls surgery, because you will need him/her in your corner to do it. Do you have a family history of obesity, diabetes, etc? My family is the poster child of obesity and heart disease.

Research research research. I can't stress that enough. You need to research the different types of surgery, the short term and long term risks involved, what the day to day life is for post surgery patients both in losing mode and maintenance mode. Are you good about taking daily pills every single day? After surgery, Vitamins are not optional and are essential to keeping you healthy. This is a tool, not a solution. You can gain weight even after sleeved if you don't continue to follow the eating plan and make good choices. Drinking is almost prohibited due to how quickly alcohol enters the bloodstream post surgery. Losing weight rapidly will increase the likelihood of loose skin, even at your age. You can't expect to have a bikini body just because you lost weight.

Basically, this is a serious decision you need to make and before you do so, you need to take the time to do your research.

I've done some research.. I have a 3 year old and well let's say I won't have or haven't had a bikini body in a whileeee . So no I'm not expecting that ... I have really high blood pressure . It runs in my family .. My cousin suffers from obesity.. I've been looking into several options for about a year now . Just looking into options.

first step, call your insurance and make sure they will cover it, and if they do what steps you need to take, they will explain everything to you.

Then what I did was google bariatric surgery centers in my area. I found one that sounded good, and then did some googling about the doctors that they have. Once I liked what I saw I called them and made an appointment for a consult. They will explain everything else to you

three months after my consult I had my surgery (the time may be longer depending on your insurance)

by the way, if you are in NJ I can recommend a GREAT doctor

Edited by Sophie74656

I did mine the other way around.I check my policy online to verify it was covered. I think looked at hospitals in the area that performed the surgery. I attend informational seminar for both. The one I was leaning towards I found out a friend of mine had gotten her bypass done at. I spoke with her about her experience and decided to go with her doctor. I actually didn't tell my primary until after I had received my approval letter. I attended the seminar in May, met with surgeon in June, received my approval in August and surgery in September.

I knew people around me that had the surgery, I picked their brain for every piece of info. I went online to find a facility who does weight loss surgery & then called my insurance to get info on it bejng covered.

It's a 50/50 chance your insurance will cover it. Check your enrollment guide & then call them. The member services line is always there to help. Then once they say it's covered get tge the name, date, time & reference # from the representative you spoke with. Keep records of that info. Oh! If you go into a new year & have that open enrollment which usually is every Oct or Nov, please make sure that it's still covered & document.

Then call the facility get the info on any procedure the do for weight loss. If anything you can go on their website & will have demonstrations.

You will have a seminar required to go to which is the best source of info for you. They give everyone time to ask the surgeon that day all the questions you can think of.

I went to 5 seminars before I found the surgeon perfect for me. Mine is awesome. He listens, is helpful, wants me to succeed in the weight loss.

Oh, family not with you on this journey...Their loss, message anytime. I love helping people. Besides that you need a network of people through this process.

Good luck, hope to continue seeing you on here. I'm Melissa also. ????

I first made sure my policy covered bariatric surgery. After that I immediately made an appointment with my doctor to start the ball rolling. ????