Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post VGS 08/26/2015

I am a 45 y/o female. I am a conglomeration medical problems. They all culminated in a trip to the ER in an ambulance for a strained back due to coughing caused by congestive heart failure.

I knew that day that I had to do something about my weight. I slept 1-2 hours a night due to sleep apnea. I heard of this surgery that could help 80 percent of the problems wrong with me. I could not be cured because nothing cures bone growth or arthritis, but it could slow the progression of my disease.

I had a consultation with Dr Awad in Palm Springs, and found my BMI to be 53 and weighed 270. He thought it would be simple to get my insurance to pay for my procedure. They fought it. Finally, after running and jumping through all the fiery hoops they threw at me, I was able to set a date for my surgery 6 months after I first spoke to the surgeon.

I had my surgery done 08/26/15 and I am sleeping now. I did not have any problems for my first 3 weeks, but now that I have reached the 4th week I have problems. I have difficulty getting fluids and Proteins in on the same days, and I am having difficulty eating enough times in a day to keep my hypoglycemia under control. I wake up sick, nauseous, and vomiting from not eating for more than 6-7 hours just from sleeping. Sleep was supposed to be a good thing.

The bariatric team is great. I can not complain about how they have supported me through the last 40 pounds. I still have 90 more to go.

I am a 45 y/o female. I am a conglomeration medical problems. They all culminated in a trip to the ER in an ambulance for a strained back due to coughing caused by congestive heart failure.

I knew that day that I had to do something about my weight. I slept 1-2 hours a night due to sleep apnea. I heard of this surgery that could help 80 percent of the problems wrong with me. I could not be cured because nothing cures bone growth or arthritis, but it could slow the progression of my disease.

I had a consultation with Dr Awad in Palm Springs, and found my BMI to be 53 and weighed 270. He thought it would be simple to get my insurance to pay for my procedure. They fought it. Finally, after running and jumping through all the fiery hoops they threw at me, I was able to set a date for my surgery 6 months after I first spoke to the surgeon.

I had my surgery done 08/26/15 and I am sleeping now. I did not have any problems for my first 3 weeks, but now that I have reached the 4th week I have problems. I have difficulty getting fluids and Proteins in on the same days, and I am having difficulty eating enough times in a day to keep my hypoglycemia under control. I wake up sick, nauseous, and vomiting from not eating for more than 6-7 hours just from sleeping. sleep was supposed to be a good thing.

The bariatric team is great. I can not complain about how they have supported me through the last 40 pounds. I still have 90 more to go.

Hey there. Sorry to hear about all the trouble Kalira. Have they told you why you've been feeling so awful when you wake up in the morning? Have you mentioned this to them?? I sure hope you start feeling better. My surgery date was 9/2 also with Dr. Awad! Small world! :D

I put in a call to the Dietitian yesterday. I am still waiting for the response. Dr. Awads team is really great,and at least we come into the surgery with our eyes open unlike some of the people I have heard do not get to have a team on their side or a binder that tells you exactly what you need to do each week.

I am hoping that we can come up with something because waking up with morning sickness when you can't get pregnant is worse than being asked if you are pregnant when you are just larger than the average supermodel.

Got the call back from the dietitian. Typical questions were asked "Are you still taking the acid medicine?" "How often do you eat?" "What were you eating?". I am going to try eating later in the night. I was eating about 630pm and nothing after 830pm and then eating again around 600am. This may be too long to go without eating. She suggested having a Protein Shake before bed, or something with Protein to try to last me through the night. I am going to try that and see how it goes.

Finally made it to week 5. Adding the gluten free/ fat free crackers have helped so much in making me feel better about eating. Sometimes you just need crunch. I spread my chicken salad, or tuna salad and mini pieces of cracker, and it is nice to have something to chew the 30 times that they recommend. How do you chew puree? Added some mozzarella cheese to ground turkey too. I am tolerating each thing pretty well. Since adding the Protein later (around 9:00pm) I do not wake up vomiting. This is also a plus. I just have to keep working at the things they want.

That's awesome Kalira. I'm glad you are finding your balance! I'm 3 weeks and 3 days post op. Next Wednesday, I start "soft foods" ... honestly, you can't really chew puree but we have to eat SLOW and make it last. Careful with crackers. Not a healthy choice...maybe add in something like edamames for crunch and Protein?

These are brown rice crackers. o fat, <1g sugar and have 3 grams of Protein, and no wheat flour, per 13 crackers. so not too bad. I break the small crackers into 4s and i only have about 4 of them= 30 calories. It is not too much of a slide but after eating mealy mush for 6 weeks, had to do something. My diet plan folder says I could at week 5 so I definitely did. I put a straight tuna salad with a small amount of 0 sugar dill relish and non fat mayo. Tonight is back to a plank of 2 oz of albacore tuna fillet and lots of Water, but the crackers were a good little break. I am staying away from bread even though it says toasted bread is okay. Bread just is not appealing right now.

These are brown rice crackers. o fat, <1g sugar and have 3 grams of Protein, and no wheat flour, per 13 crackers. so not too bad. I break the small crackers into 4s and i only have about 4 of them= 30 calories. It is not too much of a slide but after eating mealy mush for 6 weeks, had to do something. My diet plan folder says I could at week 5 so I definitely did. I put a straight tuna salad with a small amount of 0 sugar dill relish and non fat mayo. Tonight is back to a plank of 2 oz of albacore tuna fillet and lots of Water, but the crackers were a good little break. I am staying away from bread even though it says toasted bread is okay. Bread just is not appealing right now.

Ohhhh where did you find those crackers?! That's not bad at all. I was actually surprised...I found some 0 calories 0 fat 0 sugar 0 carbs and they are sitting in my fridge. I want one...but still on puréed so I will wait. lol unless I puree a pickle but there's NO nutritional value in a pickle. :-(

Nope, no nutritional value in a pickle but after 4 weeks of liquid and puree, when I went to soft, I went to the vlasic dill pickle relish. Just a 1 teaspoon of the relish (o calories) in the 2 oz of tuna makes such a difference. I like the relish because I did not have to hone my chopping skills to get through the pickle skin. It was already done.

I found the brown rice crackers in the gluten free section of our local grocery store I was looking on line and all the brown rice crackers appeared to be comparable but I found Harvest stone brown rice sesame and flax crackers. I split them into 4s and chew until they are suitable.

Nope, no nutritional value in a pickle but after 4 weeks of liquid and puree, when I went to soft, I went to the vlasic dill pickle relish. Just a 1 teaspoon of the relish (o calories) in the 2 oz of tuna makes such a difference. I like the relish because I did not have to hone my chopping skills to get through the pickle skin. It was already done.

I found the brown rice crackers in the gluten free section of our local grocery store I was looking on line and all the brown rice crackers appeared to be comparable but I found Harvest stone brown rice sesame and flax crackers. I split them into 4s and chew until they are suitable.

Which grocery store? I believe we live in the same area as you had your surgery with Dr. Awad too!

I don't remember where I picked them up. I live in Yucca which is about 30 minutes from Dr. Awad's office. I just buy things from the grocery lists they gave me in the diet plan section of the VGS folder they gave us. I try to do the shopping 1 week before I hit the milestone week. I shop at Stater bros, Vons, and Wal-mart so I can not remember where I picked them up at. I am pretty sure that any of the reduced fat crackers would do. I just liked the fact that the brown rice crackers were reduced fat and had the Protein.

I am really looking forward to 10/6/15 when I can start adding textures other than crackers and dry toast.

Awesome! I start soft foods on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to that. :)

It has been 6 weeks since I got out of the hospital. I have lost 44 pounds. On Tuesday, the doctor told me I could start incorporating textures into my diet. He also told me I could try to drink more than 4 ounces of fluids an hour to try to get my full amount of fluids in.

I went out and had a toasted club sandwich on toasted wheat bread. Bread is stil not my friend. I was only able to eat a quarter of the sandwich. The other quarter I took off the bread and ate only the turkey and bacon. I learned that bacon is not my friend either.

I have been able to handle almost all cooked vegetables, almost all dairy except non-lactaid milk and yogurt, and almost all meats except bacon and sausage. I am leery about trying steak, chicken breast, and pork chops.I have stuck to fish and ground meats for so long. I did try one of my sister's french fries. That was a mistake. it hurt behind my sternum when I tried.So, I guess all fried foods are still out.

I am still on the journey, and this stomach of mine is definitely keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Awesome Kalira!! I've lost 71 pounds since June 5. Since surgery 9/2, I've lost 37 pounds. I'm doing great as well. Only meat I like is chicken breast. I've also tried turkey/beef Jerky and I chew it to a purée and I love that too. :) Still do not feel hungry at all and have to remind myself to eat. As for "soft" things, I like yogurt, cottage cheese, lentils, pintos n cheese from taco bell :-P, string cheese, SF popsicles and Jello. liquids, I do 64 oz + a day mostly pure Water because I love water and also diluted Powerade zero. I will not be having any bread, rice, Pasta or fried foods AT LEAST until I'm where I want to be weight wise. ;) And yes, miss. Tammy keeps me in check too! Although, I haven't gotten sick or thrown up NOT EVEN ONCE!! But I also chew VERY WELL and eat VERY SLOW. So that's a big help.