Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out 3 weeks after RNY

My husband and I are supposed to be going out of town to a college football game 3 weeks after my surgery. According to the time line I should be on pureed foods by then. What can I eat that's not starchy but a pureed consistency?

I would check the Soup menu.

Refried Beans, some Soups (roasted red pepper, butternut squash, etc), scrambled eggs are some ideas. I could also have tuna during purees, so maybe a tuna melt...

Things I was allowed at the time-no sugar applesauce, grits, oatmeal, plain mashed potatoes. I would bring things that you can eat with you. Just get Water when you go out? Eat before or after?

@@red37 I would have to order something. Hubby already thinks that I won't be any fun after surgery cuz I won't be able to eat whatever. I might try like baked fish or something and mash it up maybe at the restaurant and just do Water at the game. Thank you :)

I would go for Soup, b but if "the man" insists then fish with mashed potato sounds l like the next best option.

@@soonergirl619 I don't mean to criticize your husband, but I think you need to set some expectations with him about your eating timeline after surgery. Three weeks after surgery, your diet is still pretty restricted (pureed), and you could hurt your pouch (or throw up) by eating foods too advanced too quickly. Just the facts.

Eventually, you should be able to eat a wide variety of foods and going to restaurants will be easier. But early on, I think the expectation should be that you can't eat in restaurants very easily if at all. I would hope he can support you with that at least during your early weeks after surgery.

I would agree with the others: Soup (with all solid stuff removed if at a restaurant) or take your own foods. If you do eat at a restaurant, be careful of hidden sugar and fat.

@@toasty thank you very much. He has very reserved feelings about doctors in general. I think once I have it be should be better. I will be very careful in what I choose to eat. Didn't come this far to screw it up. Just trying to plan. I will probably be packing my food for the trip but might have to do at least one restaurant trip. Thanks again for the advice.

I had to evacuate for a hurricane about 3 weeks post-op. I ate tiny pieces of chicken chewed very very well, and scrambled eggs. I tried to make sure we went to places that had Breakfast all day. Honestly at that stage, you will only be able to eat 2 maybe 3 bites of food. If your husband insist you order something to keep up appearances, do the fish, some mashed potatoes, just fiddle around with it on your plate after you are done. If you are dining with people, they will notice. To this day people still feel the need to comment on me 'eating like a bird'.