Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV Lap Swimming

I am a lap swimmer again.

Years ago, when I was in much better shape, I was a regular lap swimmer. At my peak I swam a mile a day.

For the last few years I have mostly been doing deep Water aerobics for exercise.

Last week, I added some back stroke into my routine. Yesterday, I was doing a few laps of backstroke and thinking how great it would be once I was able to become a lap swimmer again. After about 15 minutes, I realized I WAS a lap swimmer again! Because, I was swimming laps without a struggle and actually enjoying it.

I am on my way!

Yay! In my opinion, swimming is the most perfect excerise. Cardio and resistance without all the stress on the joints.

I really should join a place that has a pool....

I'm waiting to get cleared on my one month to swim, I swam a couple of years ago for exercise, I'm assuming you started slow and increased? I never thought I'd say I'm looking forward to exercising.

I'm waiting to get cleared on my one month to swim, I swam a couple of years ago for exercise, I'm assuming you started slow and increased? I never thought I'd say I'm looking forward to exercising.

Definitely start at your own pace and don't push too hard. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself.

I have always loved swimming and have had a pool in my backyard for most of my adult life. Not really into doing laps, but I love to swim underwater and dive down. It is AMAZING how much longer I can hold my breath underwater now. Makes sense of course that I don't have to supply oxygen to an additional 105 lbs of me, but AMAZING to me nonetheless.

@@Inner Surfer Girl - "I am still way too buoyant to swim under Water but maybe that is in my future, too!"

NSV for me was sinking like a rock in the Water, muscle doesn't float so well. Downside is I do have to really kick to stay up ;-) Congrats on getting back in the pool. That's great.

Edited by OKCPirate

Nice! I need to get back to swimming.. My son swims in the winter, so I will be joining him while he has practice.

A quick update.

Since the weather is turning colder I just joined our local wellness center. I used my PCP's referral to join, so I have to go at least 12 times a month. I am keeping my finger's crossed that we don't get snowed in too much this winter.

I have an initial appointment with a trainer on Monday to do an evaluation. I am kind of looking forward to it!

That is really awesome.

Swimming is tremendous in terms of what it does for your body without damaging joints. You couldn't pick a better form of exercise. Outstanding.

I wish there was an aqua center near my house.

My local gym has been toying with the idea. They have the real estate to add one. I've got my fingers crossed........

Proud of you. Swimming is perfect.

My son does the swim team in winter, so he will have practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning on also swimming while he does his laps!