Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much is too much 21 days after surgery?

Hi, I would like to ask how much other people are eating 3 weeks after surgery? I am still on thick liquids for another 4 days as per my surgeon's instructions, but I feel I eat too much sometimes. There are days when I drink Water and have some low fat milk in the morning, ( 1 cup) but at night I can easily fit 2 full cups (2x 250ml) of home made thick Soup (blended vegies and chicken stock home made) over 30-40ml. Is this normal ?

I lost 10 kg since the day of the surgery (21 days) but now it has stopped. I dont count any calories or even amounts. Should I start counting the amount of thick Soups? or even calories?

For example, I have a cup of low fat milk with nesquick in the morning, then 1-2 hrs later, 1 cup liquid yoghurt, low fat, then some Soup, then some low fat youghurt and then the Soups again, every 2-3 hrs. until the night, and so on. I dont tolerate too much Protein powder apart from the Atkins high Protein drinks.

I am worried that my weight loss stopped because I drink too much soup, but the soups are made of vegies only ( carrots, onions, leeks, cauliflower, marrows,) apart from the chicken stock which is made with chicken legs with the skin on for some fat! \we need some fat for the absorption of Vitamins.

What do other people do 3 weeks post surgery?

Thank you

i meant over 30-40 minutes eating the 2 cups of soup

I dont really count the Protein grams as I cant tolerate it. Whatever I get from the milk and yoghurt should do for now until I will start eating solids.

I would find a Protein shake you like and substitute that for some of the Soup. A lot of Soups are very high in sodium and it could be leading to Water retention? Have you tried Syntrax nectar Protein Powder? It is more like a flavored water instead of a chocolate shake.

I hit the same stall at 22 days. I don't think we should worry too much about it as I've read on here that it is not uncommon at this stage. I do wonder if you are getting enough Protein. I count mine in an app on my phone and it makes me feel good to see that 80-100 grams of Protein number. But if you have energy and feel okay, don't worry about the stall. Good luck.

at just over 3 weeks out i am on soft foods, so an average meal would be egg salad on a crusket light cracker nearly a whole egg, so about 90 cal a meal. volume wise that's maybe more than most can handle at this point but my surgeon and NUT very happy at my progress and say i'm healing up very fast. But realistically calorie wise only hitting the 300 a day mark. sometimes upto 400. My team aren't as obsessed with very high Protein numbers and want me to aim for 50gms a day (I can't do Protein powers or dairy so have to manager with real food). i'm only half of that at the minute but they are happy for me to work my up over the next few weeks.

I feel well, no pain, more energy etc.

oh yes also on the 3 week stall on day 6 or 7, saw a slight movement down this morning - but i'm not worried. it's typical and i'll take it on the chin.

Edited by MsTwist