Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

17 days out...I think I'm depressed

Hi everyone! I'm Tina from Ga. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that's s having the same issues as me. I am 17 days postop and I am having a tough time...nothing seems to agree my stomach... I mean nothing I have a tough time with Water. Currently down 27 lbs. Every time I drink or eat anything I get this intense pain in my stomach that's lasts for a few minutes. I'm currently on a blenderized diet which for me consists of yogurt, soups....and that's about it. And half the time those are non tolerable. Anyone else having this issue?

I would talk to my surgeon if I were you. My plan is very different where I had 2 weeks of clears, and I'm not on 2 weeks of full liquids. Then it's 2 weeks of puree and then 2 weeks of soft. You might have to take a few steps back and go back to clears or full liquids again. Call your surgeon. Every sleeve is different and every person is different.

As far as the depression goes. I suffer from depression and anxiety normally. The first week was hell. You have to remember that there are so many hormone changes that go along with losing weight. Maybe consult with a therapist and see if there is something they can do to help you. I would be lost without my meds.

Good Luck! I promise it will get better. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It just takes time.

I'm picky and miserable by nature, so the surgery only made it worse ;)

food is such a big part of social gatherings, satisfaction, daily decision-making, and self-reward. So yeah, depression is pretty common among a lot of us. Personally, I didn't feel better until I was out and about again at work/school. But connecting with people on the internet who are going through the same stuff as you can help take the edge off of things.

Once you start feeling physically better (and yes, I promise, it will happen), things will gradually get easier.

I will say though, if you are still having *extreme* pain immediately after eating, check in with your doc. I had a lot of pressure/discomfort after eating for the first month, but I only had pain if I overdid it. Like you, I also couldn't tolerate anything, and I was already picky before. The first month is the worst!

Thanks you guys for the replies.... I hope every thing gets better...when I called the doc....well the nurse she too gave me the advice just to back down to clears....but even Water hurts but only time will tell. I'll keep ya posted.

This is the new world. From now on eating will not be the same as it was. You will learn how to avoid misery from food habits and choices but you will forget from time to time until the new world gradually sinks in. I hate when that happens. But most of the time I can avoid pain and nausea. You learn to listen to your body and heed it's messages. You know it's worth it. Relax. Eat/drink more often and less. Good luck.

@@tinatina119 I had a hard time with Water also. I still have a harder time with plain water and I am 15 months post op.

One thing you can do is experiment with different temperatures of water. Some people do better with warm herbal non caffeinated tea, some do better with ice cold water.

I had to either add flavored drops to my water or drink some type of Vitamin water. I went through a ton of different types and flavors before I found what works for me- I drink either peach or black cherry flavored propel water.

Also, sip really small sips. I used a medicine cup and made three sips from it. It took sipping all day to get my fluids in.

Hang in there it will get better. The first month or so is tricky because you are learning how to eat and drink again. Good luck you can do this!!

I am 20 days post op and I have good and bad days. As each day goes by the good days are starting to outweigh the bad. Most of my issues are emotional in that I sometimes feel depressed also. I am struggling with getting my 60 grams of Protein and each day is a challenge. I am so tired of Protein shakes so I don't want to drink them but I am forcing myself because I have to. And when I can't reach that Protein requirement I get sad and so frustrated with myself. Basically, I feel very much the same as you described. I think what can help you stay positive is to concentrate on your successes with the weight loss and take each day as a new day to do better ????.

As for the pain your are experiencing, I agree with most of the comments in that you should notify your surgeon. Good luck and great job on the weight loss!

Also, when I had trouble with Water, I found that ice worked wonders for me!

Edited by sll5046