Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NBC: Dateline Obese Special Report

In Dateline's hour-long report, "Weighing the Risks," NBC's Al Roker reports on his health since his documented gastric bypass surgery; and the dangers and benefits involved in the procedure for obese people of all ages, from teens to adults.

I thought it would be to all of our interest, it will air tonight at 8PM Eastern time, 5 PM Pacific.

Dan

Thanks for notifying us. I got to see the second half, which I thought was pretty realistic. I still am amazed, though, that there is not more about the Lap-Band on TV and in newspapers. I did see it mentioned on one program. It was about a woman who had it and "had" to have it taken out due to unbearable heartburn. I'm sure she had an inexperienced doctor and I wonder what the real story there was.

Nancy

I watched it and thought it was interesting. I emailed them at msnbc immediately afterwards and recommended they do a segment on the band. I tried to be interesting and informative so who knows if I'll even get a response... Teresa

I found it really shocking that there wasn't even a MENTION of alternatives to bypass surgery. Even the vaunted Christine Ren didn't mention that bypass is only ONE of the various surgeries available. Particularly since one of the stated points of the piece was to highlight the risks, and they talked about teenagers taking this step, it would have only been responsible to mention that there are other things to try before something so drastic.

I was really disappointed.

That is one aspect that shocked me too Alex. I couldn't believe they didn't even mention other types of WLS. I only heard them mention the by-pass but I know people who have had the RNY and the duodenal switch too, not to mention the mentioning of the band. I wish they would do an hour long segment on the band. Oh-well...

Well, the RNY is the bypass, so they covered that. And the DS is even more drastic, so I'm glad they didn't mention it. But this is one of my pet peeves: to call the piece about "weight-loss" surgery as though there's only one kind, and fail to mention any alternatives. That is terrifically sloppy journalism. It should have been called Gastric Bypass Surgery, since they didn't make any attempt to cover any other kinds.

Teresa, your idea of writing to them was a great one. Here's the letter I just sent:

I was very disheartened to watch Al Roker's piece on bypass surgery last Friday. There was no discussion whatsoever of other types of bariatric surgery--irresponsibly so in light of the fact that more and more people, including teenagers, are taking this very serious step. Someone watching your show could easily conclude that there is only one type of surgical procedure available to people suffering from severe obesity.

Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is profoundly safer than bypass and equally effective in improving the health of people suffering from weight-related problems. Weight loss is moderated and, as with RNY/bypass, requires that the patient make substantial changes in his or her life. Perhaps you avoided discussions of banding because as yet, only one manufacturer distributes the band in the U.S. But at the very least it would have been appropriate and helpful to say that there ARE other surgical options available, and that people doing research should be sure to inquire about them.

The goal of any weight-loss surgery is to improve the life and health of the patient, and there is no question that banding can help that happen with exponentially fewer risks to the patient. Dr. Christine Ren is one of the most respected band doctors in the country. Since it's inconceivable that she did not bring this procedure to the attention of Mr. Roker or your producers, the obvious conclusion is that it was excluded for some reason.

I am very concerned--as you should be too--that some members of your audience will make an unnecessarily risky decision because of your editorial choice.

Alex you are right on with everything you posted. In regards to Dr. Christine Ren I am surprised!!!!I saw her speak with her partner Dr. Fielding on 10/14 and they both wholeheartedly agree that they rarely do the gastric bypass any more unless there is a specific reason because it is just too dangerous. T When she was on Oprah it was the same thing they ONLY talked of the bypass . I think it is a trade off great PR for their practice and them personally to be on national TV but the producer tells them to stick to the topic at hand which is wrong wrong wrong!!!! Considering the major risks with bypass the public and people out there like us who were in need of help watching need to know there is a lap-band out there as an alternative!!!!!!! It really is irresponsible on NBC's part to say the least......You cannot talk about one and not the other when you speak of weight loss surgery.