Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating 4 days post op

Faith is absolutely right, an informed patient is a compliant patient. The guidelines weren't established to jerk us around.

I also refer to the band as my tool to aid in weight loss. One day my husband saw me eyeing up a scrambled egg!

He said "You better let that concrete set before you use that tool!"

Sometimes he's smart!

Good luck Wagnerd!

Wagnerd,

I just needed to know if you were the least bit afraid when you ate the solids.

Curious and curiouser:omg:

Everyone thinks "oh it went down fine so it must be okay" You have no idea what's going to happen a few years down the road, from the band not healing properly on the stomach during the first 4 weeks.

Just remember if you have erosion or a slip, you'll have to pay to have your band removed.

Here is some really good advice, and again I am going through this whole liquid stage myself, and I know it is very hard but you have made such a huge commitment by having this surgery, you owe it to yourself to stick to the plan. I don't know about other doctors, but my diet was Clear Liquids for the first week, then I advanced to Jello pudding and creamy Soups for week 2, then starting week 3 I go on the "mush" diet until i get my first fill. I was told that during the mush diet I cannot eat anything that a infant < 12 months old could not eat. Is this pretty much the same diet as everyone else?

Please let me know

Thank you Faith for taking the time to care! I am preband and did not learn the "reasons" for the food stages until I joined this forum. Yes - I did meet with my surgeons dietician but she just went over the stages and never explained why! I have learned so much from your post and others and appreciate your efforts to educate us. I hope in the months ahead that you will still be here reaching out to help us newbies because you are Awesome!!!

Thanks!!!:ranger:

Thank you all for you kind comments.

I'm just a fat woman who feels that if I am going to go so far as to have surgery to deal with my weight issues, I need to be as informed as possible. I'm going to take time to learn the hows and the whys. If I'm having surgery, I'm going to look up the approach and technique and ask my surgeon what approach he uses.

Someone said it earlier, an informed patient is much more likely to be a compliant patient.

If you can't be compliant after you know why you need to be, then maybe you need to consider some behavioral therapy before you go so far as to have surgery. I'm not talking about being perfect, everyone makes a mistake now and then, but I am saying if you don't think you can follow the rules in general, then you need to really think over what you are doing and why, and get some help so you will be successful.

Hello

The truth is that I wasnt afraid because I didnt know that there could be damage by doing it. I guess I thought that you shouldnt do it because you wouldn't be able to do it. But after reading more about it, the same night I posted the original post, I stopped and have taken nothing but liquids.< /p>

I appreciate all the advice given by all of you and I have gone back to liquids. I didn't know "why" i should stick to liquids, all I knew is that this was what was expected of me. I have researched more and now I understand and will try a lot harder to be better. I hope this post helps others as it did me and I'll keep everyone posted as to how everything goes. Thanks again to ALL OF YOU for your support!!

Wagnerd, I would urge you to mention this to your doc's office at your first post-op visit. They need to know that not explaing the reasons behind it is setting folks up for problems.

I'm glad you are back on track, keep us updated!

And please remember that you probably won't get great restriction with your first fill, either. It can take two or three or more fills to get to that sweet spot. And sometimes people get their feeling of restriction two weeks after the fill is put it, our bodies are strange and wondrous machines.

Make sure you follow your doctors orders. You can rip out your sutures if you eat too quickly after being banded. There is a reason why our doctors keep us on liquids then mushies then solids. Please follow your doctor's orders.

OMG do NOT eat pizza darling!! For goodness sake here is why; (1) you will never loose weight eating pizza, lap band or no lap band, and (2) it will really hurt! I ate a small ham sandwich too soon post op and thought it would kill me for a few hours. I had to walk and walk and walk to distract myself from the pain. The whole internal area is raw and sore and trying to heal around this strange band that's been sutured onto it. It's not healed yet. Survive on the liquid drinks and do a bit of pudding or Jello if you must. I did OK with chicken noodle Soup too. I understand the crazies you get on liquid diets, but trust me you are about to give yourself a very painful and potentially expensive lesson by scarfing down pizza, breads, or anything else of substance this soon. Please don't!