Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet, too few calories?

Yesterday I started my 10-day pre-op liquid diet. My NUT indicated I am allowed up to 4 Protein shakes and Clear liquids only (including SF popsicles and SF jello).

I am drinking 3 Premier Protein Shakes, 2 cups chicken broth, 2 Vitamin Water Zeros (20oz each), 48 ounces Water, 2 SF popsicles, and 1 SF Jello per day. I am not physically hungry (which surprises me), but I do have "head hunger" (which I try to ignore). My total stats for the day are:

Calories: 520
Carbs: 31g
Fat: 9g
Protein: 93g
Sodium: 1785mg
Sugar: 7g
Does this sound OK? It seems terribly low to me, but maybe that is what it is supposed to be for the short time I am on the diet.
I contacted my NUT, but she hasn't responded yet.

You're actually getting more calories in than I was on my post-op diet. It's a drastic reduction in calories from the average person's diet before surgery but it's only for a few days, and losing a few extra pounds before surgery is very helpful to reduce any fatty liver issues that you might be having, which in turn greatly reduces the risk of a number of complications during and after surgery. I know it's not exactly fun (I felt weak and sometimes even a little faint) but it will totally be worth it in the end. I lost ten pounds in the week before my surgery from drinking only Protein Shakes, Water, low fat milk, and a small meal high in Protein two days of that week. Good luck! There doesn't seem to be anything out of order happening with your caloric intake, but perhaps your nutritionist will decide to change it up. Otherwise, keep up your hard work and you will soon be feeling the benefits. :)

I can relate I'm on day six of

liquid diet and although I'm not physically hungry my head tells me I am. This is hard. But I will make it and so will you, best wishes. See you on the other side.

The "head" hunger stinks but I have to say, it felt kinda good that I was able to identify that I wasn't physically hungry I was just tired and wanting comfort food. Not too many months ago I wouldn't have been able to identify the difference.

I am on day 3 of my 14 days drinking 5 shakes a day plus Water. I have already dropped 14 pounds! This is really rough but I keep reminding myself that it's not forever and all of my efforts will be worth it. Yours will be too! Hang in there and best wishes! :)

Day two of my 14 day liquid. Head hunger is VERY difficult to ignore but so far so good. How am i going to make 12 more days of this!!! Omg. Could have choked my family this evening......they frigging ate chinese food.....will the head hunger be easier to manage post surgery because of pain? Lord, God, please help this go quickly and give me the strength to abstain. Good luck everyone.

People say the first three days of pre-op diet is the worst, then it gets easier. They also say that the whole pre-op diet is the worst, and that after surgery it is easier.

Here's hoping that's so!

@@toasty, I certainly found that to be true. You're simply not hungry, or at least a lot less hungry after surgery. It gets better soon. :)

@@India928, it does get easier after the first three days. The head hunger dies down. I hear it's a great way to prepare ourselves for after the surgery. Keep it up! You can do it!!