Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less and less fill as I lose weight...is this weird?

I have asked this before but I think I didn't get much response last time. My fills have ranged from 3.4 at the highest to about 1.6 now. It seems the more I lose the tighter I get. I have had alot more unfills than fills. It seems like my "pouch" can't hold anything w/o PAIN. I don't want to complain because I love my band and I have lost weight with it but I don't think it's working the same for me as everyone else. I never feel full. It's really a black and white situation for me. I am either so tight it hurts to eat/drink or wide open and can eat anything. It seems to be taking less and less of a fill to be tight. Anyone else with these symptoms?:)

I had a band replacement surgery 8 days ago for similar reasons. It sounds to me like you have swelling in your band which is why you are tight. For some unknown reason, I had that happen to me immediately after I gave birth in March. It never recovered and got so bad that I had severe reflux, night asperations and got to the point where I only had liquids for about a month until I had surgery to get a bigger band.

Here's the thing, in my case we have no explaination for why it happened. But what I didn't do was commit to only liquids for a long enough period of time to figure out if it could have gone down with a good rest. I was already completely empty, so I couldn't get an unfill. Everytime I felt better, I'd start eating, then get stuck, then barf, then more swelling.

If I were you, I'd get a complete unfill and give your band a complete rest for a few weeks.

My doc is Dr. C who answers questions here. You might want to run it past him. In hind sight, when I realized it wasn't going to improve the way I was doing it, I wish I would have just done liquids for a week, then mushies, until I saw real improvement.

The good news is I LOVE MY NEW BIG BAND!

Hope this helps.

Oh, and one more thing. If you're not getting enough Protein, that can cause swelling in your body. Check to make sure you're getting at least 65 grams, otherwise, add some extra Protein Shakes.< /p>

Laura, that is really strange. Typically when you lose weight you need more saline in your band. You may want to ask your surgeon what is going on.

I have your same issues. I had an unfill May 08 as I had ketosis (diabetic related due to not being able to eat properly) and dehydration. They unfilled me as I had to have IV's twice and now take B-12 shots. I figured better too loose than too tight and let my band slip. Besides I needed to heal up and be able to eat some real nutrients. Just like you.............it is either too tight and I am miserable or too loose. I keep praying to hit my sweet spot with the next fill. It is scheduled for Aug 13 and I have been loose since May 08. I have gained probably 10 pounds in 9 weeks. Now I will have to work hard to get it off again.

What is up with us? Why can't we eat 3 small meals like they told us at seminar?

Frustrated to the Hilton!