Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irritated with Family Dinner

I'm so irritated every evening when my family eats dinner. I room with my brother, his wife and daughter. Tonight it's the smell of fried fish. I'm 4 weeks out. I know they can eat whatever they want but it really bugs me... I hate that finding something tasty to eat has been such a chore. I'm so over this stage!

I'm totally venting but I also don't like having the attention or like what I eat is on display.. For instance was out with friends this week and I ordered omelet at restaurant and they thought it was big deal that I had 3 bites and felt full. It gets old explaining your new eating habits.

Edited by ShareeB

I totally understand this feeling being just over 4 weeks out myself. And add to those feelings the feeling of baking or cooking for family and either taking a risk trying it as you cook or not even being able to eat what you make at all. Gets old gets old really fast and starts to hurt.

But is it us or is it society? Society is the problem if you ask me. The way we all revolve around food for socializing. It's hard but we all have to figure it out and how to handle these changes - not going to be easy at all but nothing worth it ever is.

You're doctor can give you a card that says you just had surgery. This will allow you to order off the kids meal. Later on you'll be able to eat a bit more but not now. This is your new life. It took me a while to get used to it too. I'm 9 months post open & have lost 130 lbs. 90 more to go. Your friends should be supportive.of you. If not find new friends. Grilled lean meats & veggies is the norm now. Start an exercise program if you haven't yet. Walk a couple of miles at a park 4 times a week. Join a gym. Your body will thank you. It takes time to retrain your old habits. You can do it. Good Luck

I totally understand this feeling being just over 4 weeks out myself. And add to those feelings the feeling of baking or cooking for family and either taking a risk trying it as you cook or not even being able to eat what you make at all. Gets old gets old really fast and starts to hurt.

But is it us or is it society? Society is the problem if you ask me. The way we all revolve around food for socializing. It's hard but we all have to figure it out and how to handle these changes - not going to be easy at all but nothing worth it ever is.

Yeah. It's an adjustment. Every event revolves around food

You're doctor can give you a card that says you just had surgery. This will allow you to order off the kids meal. Later on you'll be able to eat a bit more but not now. This is your new life. It took me a while to get used to it too. I'm 9 months post open & have lost 130 lbs. 90 more to go. Your friends should be supportive.of you. If not find new friends. Grilled lean meats & veggies is the norm now. Start an exercise program if you haven't yet. Walk a couple of miles at a park 4 times a week. Join a gym. Your body will thank you. It takes time to retrain your old habits. You can do it. Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions I walk 2 miles a day about 5 times a week. I just can't seem to think I would be happy with grilled meat all the time... You have made great progress, way to go!

No one likes to eat or cook anymore than I do. I was a great cook. Reason I weighed 410 lbs. I didn't think I'd like grilled chicken, Turkey,etc all the time either. But you can reprogram your thinking. Once the weight starts falling off & it will you'll realize the healthy diet is the only way to be successful & keep it off. Kudos to you for walking as much as you do. Keep it up. Over time the walking will really pay off. Cook things you will enjoy. You're more apt to stick with it. You made a decision to change your life. Healthy eating habits has to be maintained. Once your 3 months out you can eat just about anything. Your stomach will stretch & you'll be able to eat more food. Your stomach will hold about a cup of processed food by then. New eating habits have to be learned. They will become a habit over time. Take your supplements, get your Protein, drink lots of Water, exercise,& eat right. You're going to like the new you in 9 months. Don't get discouraged. Good times are ahead.

No one likes to eat or cook anymore than I do. I was a great cook. Reason I weighed 410 lbs. I didn't think I'd like grilled chicken, Turkey,etc all the time either. But you can reprogram your thinking. Once the weight starts falling off & it will you'll realize the healthy diet is the only way to be successful & keep it off. Kudos to you for walking as much as you do. Keep it up. Over time the walking will really pay off. Cook things you will enjoy. You're more apt to stick with it. You made a decision to change your life. Healthy eating habits has to be maintained. Once your 3 months out you can eat just about anything. Your stomach will stretch & you'll be able to eat more food. Your stomach will hold about a cup of processed food by then. New eating habits have to be learned. They will become a habit over time. Take your supplements, get your Protein, drink lots of Water, exercise,& eat right. You're going to like the new you in 9 months. Don't get discouraged. Good times are ahead.

I'm going hold on to your words and in 9 months look you up and give you and update ????