Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are "don'ts" of being banded? No coffee, alcohol, etc? I know there are things that some people do or don't tolerate that may be different, but I was more wondering about things I won't be allowed to ever eat, drink or do with the band. What are the rules?

Don't panic when you get the golfball feeling, or get stuck. First time I panicked...ran around like a nut - cried, screamed...you name it. Recognize the feeling, and just go with it. It WILL go away. My most recent 'stuck' lasted about 2 hours! Not incredibly painful; just extremely uncomfortable. I've not yet PB'd...but I HAVE slimed. Be prepared for THAT. Though everyone is different, for me...my mouth just turns on like a faucet. Drool just pours out of me. LOL...I've actually gone outside and just stood in the grass, just to be funny. But the ONLY reason that has happened to me, is b/c I've been lazy...and not chewed well enough, or took to big a bite.

I've had wine, vodka - just be careful. I get drunk much 'harder' now. Not necessary faster - I've just gotten a worse drunk on than before. Don't know why. And THAT is scary - so I am very careful. Don't want to vomit.

My doc allowed me coffee before I even left the hospital... I drink coffee every day, so no problems there.. the ONLY thing he said we have to give up is WHITE DOUGHY bread, due to the gluten level. The one thing I can not tolerate is refried beans.. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY. Each doc is different. He even gives us our pop back after the first month.

As with all band issues, each doc and nutritionist has different rules. Mine say NO carbonated beverages... ever!! And no bread, Pasta or rice unless the bread is whole wheat and toasted is better than not. Also whole wheat pasta is ok if it goes down. The issue is the swelling of the food. Bread and pasta and rice tend to get stuck. Not something I want to experience so I avoid all of that stuff.

Hi!

This is a harder question than it seems, because the answer is different for each person...AND because the answer changes for each person at different stages of being banded. You'll get all kinds of answers, and then you'll have to figure out the answers that are right for you. Even still, it helps to have some guidelines to go by...I stay away from carbonation, because first of all, it's not all that great of a food to begin with, and it feels weird in my pouch. I have had it, but if it is served on ice and has lost some of its fizz. I prefer Water or tea or coffee. I have had no problems with salad, but others have. I can eat some bread, if I chew carefully. In fact, there is no food I just simply cannot have. The defining characteristic is in my BEHAVIOR. If I eat carefully, chew well, take some time between bites and eat small bites, I can eat almost anything. Portion size is important, too.

Good luck to you as you discover what works for you!

Cindy

There isn't anything i don't allow myself to eat or drink. I can't tolerate carbonated beverages very well but i do have a few sips every once in a while. My theory is its all about moderation. And for me one day Pasta might get stuck and on anotrher day i don't have any problems. My dr did say to stay off of the carbs but i do eat them in moderation. So i don't think there is really anything that you won't be able to ever have again for the rest of your life.

Don'ts:

Rice

Any type of dough

Shrimp

Carbonated everything.

Lima Beans

Natural skin hot dogs.

(WHICH SUCKS BIG TIME, MY UNCLE OWNS A OLD WORLD GERMAN BUTCHER SHOP)

I can't eat link sausage. It got stuck so bad it scared me but I finally pb'd and for the first time I realized why it is called a PRODUCTIVE burp! I cannot eat bread of any kind, even whole wheat. It always gets stuck and is out of my diet now indefinitely. Beer and pop do not set well, however, wine once in a while is okay. I'm not a big drinker anyway so that's no prob. I have no desire for pop though I used to drink a lot of diet cokes, etc. per day. Now I drink iced tea, Water and crystal lite. A lot of folks on this board say they can eat complex carbs fine. So can I..I can eat and eat them...I always want more. So, for now, while I'm trying hard to reduce, I am trying to stick to lots of Protein as a first priority which is what my doctor suggests anyway. He says Protein first, veggies next and fruit if still hungry.

Good luck on doing whatever is right for you.

Don't panic? (Oh, that was the Hitchhikers Guide... Sorry, lol)

Everyone eats different stuff at different stages. I don't personally eat meat (by choice, not because I cannot) I don't drink carbonated crap, even the diet stuff, I don't eat processed foods, I don't drink alcohol. I don't do a lot of things.

What I do do that should be common for all bandsters (and non bandsters), is exercise regularly. Everyone needs exercise.