Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Due to operate Dec, but overwhelmed with choice

Hi folks, I'm a teacher and I'm scheduled for over the school Christmas holiday. I feel very confident in my doctor, Dr Lederman, but I'm concerned I didn't research enough which procedure to do, especially now on this forum and realizing there are so may different procedures. I like the idea of the forceful help in behavior mod of the R n Y gastric bypass, though the lifetime restrictive diet and "punishment" is getting me nervous. How do people decide which procedure?? I've got almost the comorbid elements, you name it. I'm a 59 year old, 6 foot 265 pound man.

The "punishment" of the RNY is greatly overstated. I chose the RNY based on my doctor's suggestion and because I too liked the idea of the forced behavior changes, though i wouldn't put it quite that sternly. :) I am 6 days out from my surgery, and I am already feeling a lot better. I'm still sore and tired but I can walk more and more often, sit up and sit down by myself, etc. As for the restrictive diet, it's actually not as restrictive as, say the VSG. People who have the VSG can't eat Peanut Butter or Jerky, or a whole list of other things. People with the band possibly need adjustments, and there's the possibility of slippage. The RNY diet is essentially a diet every person should be following, surgery or no surgery: good amounts of Protein, low sugar/fat/cal, plenty of Water. After a certain amount of time recovering, your pouch would be able to handle a lot of foods you used to like, only in much smaller portions (which is important for health and maintaining a healthy weight anyway). There are certain foods you should never eat again, but that's the way with any person, with or without surgery. If you eat something spectacularly bad for you, your body will say NO WAY and you'll learn pretty quickly to steer clear of it or suffer the consequences. I also wanted the RNY because it greatly reduces the hormone that is produced by your stomach, called ghrelin, that is what causes a lot of people to overeat in the first place. Less hunger hormone, less hunger.

When all is said and done, your doctor and your own research, as well as what seems right and more comfortable for you is what is going to matter. There are lots of choices because people have lots of different lifestyles, medical histories, and health issues. RNY works for me because I definitely want to be held accountable for what I put into my body for the rest of my life, and in my mind, if i'm going to have my abdomen cut open and my guts rearranged, I want the most bang for my buck and I want it to be a permanent change. It's still only 6 days since my surgery but I can tell you now I have no regrets. Good luck! Hopefully the experiences and opinions of others here will help you with your decision. Regardless of which surgery you go for, or if you decide against it entirely, take care of yourself. :)

Edited by Cervidae

RNY surgery has been around for a while so it has a good track record. Of the available surgeries, RNY allows one to lose the weight the quickest. I choose it because it had the lowest rate of revisions. If I go under the knife once, I certainly do not want to go under it again. If you have severe acid reflux (GERD), this is the procedure for you. The sleeve will only make this condition worse. I had the RNY surgery 27 months ago. Two days after surgery when I left the hospital, I was off all my blood sugar medicines and haven't taken any since. Two weeks after surgery I took myself off all my blood pressure medicines because my blood pressure was dropping too low and I haven't taken any since. My Gerd is gone along with sleep apnea. No more profuse sweating or frequent urination. The only medication that I take now is for my Asthma. I consider this surgery to be a good decision.

Wow, thanks Cervidae and James, I needed that...! I have to say your two responses really cut through some of my fears and reinforced some of my positive feelings about the RNY. My doctor, too, seems to be recommending RNY and I tend to agree, many of my reasons being what you folks just delineated.

I love what you said about a serious tool to help in eating what I should have been eating anyway; don't know about you guys, but I've started trying to eat really well many times, trying the five or six small meals concept, trying vegan, etc and I liked them but just couldn't maintain them. I really welcome the chance, the chance to try again with a new powerful tool. Plus I've been walking pretty consistently for a few months and that's heartening.

It's been scary the last few years as the co-morbid elements racked up; the high BP, Cholesterol, diabetes II, the damn C-Pap, crazy joint pain; man, enough is enough. I mean sure, It's about emotional over eating for me, but I've had the best treatment in place for over 8 months now on my own with therapy and walking so I think I'm ready to do this thing!! Thanks again, pete

Wow, thanks Cervidae and James, I needed that...! I have to say your two responses really cut through some of my fears and reinforced some of my positive feelings about the RNY. My doctor, too, seems to be recommending RNY and I tend to agree, many of my reasons being what you folks just delineated.

I love what you said about a serious tool to help in eating what I should have been eating anyway; don't know about you guys, but I've started trying to eat really well many times, trying the five or six small meals concept, trying vegan, etc and I liked them but just couldn't maintain them. I really welcome the chance, the chance to try again with a new powerful tool. Plus I've been walking pretty consistently for a few months and that's heartening.

It's been scary the last few years as the co-morbid elements racked up; the high BP, Cholesterol, diabetes II, the damn C-Pap, crazy joint pain; man, enough is enough. I mean sure, It's about emotional over eating for me, but I've had the best treatment in place for over 8 months now on my own with therapy and walking so I think I'm ready to do this thing!! Thanks again, pete

That is definitely a really good start, because the tool of surgery is a huge and helpful one but it doesn't erase a lifetime of bad habits and crappy coping skills, which I know all of us here have or had at one point. When you start this whole process, the nutritionist is going to have you doing essentially what you're doing now, only they are going to document it to show themselves, your insurance, and you just how important these new habits. are. Healthy new coping skills and ways of life PLUS the surgery are what set you up for long term success. You can do it. :D Also be aware that most insurances require a certain amount of time seeing a nutritionist as well as a certain number of years of documented obesity. So all this preparation you've been doing is going to serve you very well in the upcoming months. Be patient, do your best, and prepare yourself for a lifetime of working to be healthy and achieving your goals. It's all worth it!

I love this post. It really outlines the reason that I have finally decided to go forward with the RNY. just as @@Cervidae mentioned, it's a serious tool, and it wasn't until I finally started thinking about this procedure in this manner that I realized it was something I wanted to do. I've always called myself a healthy person despite my weight, but the last couple of years I've seen my blood pressure start to go up, my cholesterol slowly creep up, not to mention all the aches and pains that comes along with being 43 but are made worse by the excess weight. Don't even get me started on the sweating. I've started the process two other times in the last 3 years and I was never ready. This time around, I feel I'm finally mentally and physically ready to make this change, and follow all the rules that will make it successful for me. Lastly, the tract record and research on RNY is far greater than any other procedure out there. I think that also helped me in this decision.

Good luck @@Pedro Valle-Inclan! September will be my 3rd pre-op diet month. I'm also looking at a late December/early January date.

Hi folks, this exchange has been so helpful, I can't even tell you. The good news is I have most everyone in my life on board; brother, friends, even somewhat holistic minded GP, all except my ex wife/best friend, who thinks it's "too early" - like I should see if the good steps going on in my life now, like solid therapy, walking, better diet, etc will do the trick, but she doesn't realize how many times I've been here before, things going well, losing weight and all, only to have it all come crashing down again. I've lost a good 250 lbs or so in my life, in 50 lbs increments that always have come back. Enough. Plus in truth, even if they weren't all on board, I'd now do it anyway.

Yes, I was a bit unnerved reading that 1.5 people in 200 die with this procedure, but not enough to stop me.

So I do have a question or two for you good people:

I'm a bit concerned with the post-op pain situation, as I'm a fairly long term recovering addict.Will it be possible to grit one's way through it?

And when you say years of documented obesity, isn't that easy with my GP's years of taking my weight at office visits that clearly show the story?

Anyway, most importantly, I'd love to continue to hear of your progress in these post -op days and months, thanks, Pete