Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do We Need Protein Drinks?

I've been aiming to consume a minimum of 60 grams of Protein per day. I try to do this by eating solid Proteins because it is my understanding that they stay in your pouch longer and help you feel full longer.

For those of you that use Protein Drinks, is it because your restriction doesn't allow you enough solid protein? Does the Liquid Protein keep your hunger at bay for 3 hours?

Just wondering if I should be adding protein drinks to my daily intake.

You understand correctly. Solid Protein does keep you full for so much longer than a Protein Drink.

Protein drinks will do like any other liquid, and go straight through the band. The will not keep you full. Protein Drink are really only useful in the weeks after surgery when you cannot take in solid protein.

I know, for me, when I have counted protein grams (I don't count protein, carbs, or calories) I always appear to get enough without the need for a protein supplement.

This question has been known to incite riots on some boards!:) There are vastly different opinions among both bandsters and doctors regarding Protein Drinks. Some say that they are merely liquid calories with no purpose in our diets. Others swear that they keep them feeling full for hours and are a godsend for those who cannot eat when they first wake up! Personally, I do not use them because I have been able to consume Protein in solid form since about 4 wks post-op. I say discuss this question with your doctor and explain to him why YOU feel you can benefit from them. Everyone is so different and you must do what works for you. Good luck!

Everyone is different, what works for one might not work for another.

I use Protein shakes regularly and I like them. If I drink one in the morning I'm not hungry for several hours. At 120 calories, 23gms Protein, and 2gms carbs, it's perfect for me. But again, everyone is different.

Hmm, I'd say no, they're liquid calories and not really deserving of a place in our diet - but if they work for people, who really cares what others eat if you're happy with your own diet and progress?

I loathe the very idea of relying on a processed food like that though. I'm a food snob and wouldnt drink Protein shakes any more than I'd eat freezer meals like Lean Cuisines - taste like complete crap, full of salt, sugar and unhealthy additives. I place Protein Shakes in the same category, artificial sweeteners, flavours, genetically modified soy Proteins, not appealing to me. If I feel like shake, I'll make a fruit smoothie with an egg in it.

Nor do I believe we need 60 to 80 grams of Protein every single day.

I'd guess for people who cant do Breakfast they're a godsend. But I'd still think you're better off blending fruit, yogurt, milk and an egg for some real food.

i am one of those people who can't eat alot in the morning so i always have a Protein Drink. Mine has 35g of Protein. it will usually keep me full for about 4 hours. And they are pre made in a can so they are real easy to to grab and go.

Nor do I believe we need 60 to 80 grams of Protein every single day.

I'm with you on this one... to a point.

I think if someone is losing a lot of weight quickly the Protein is important. If they are not losing weight quickly I tend to agree with you. I think it's a bit much.

Per my doctor while actively trying to lose weight, 60 grams of Protein is what I require. I love the protein drinks for two reasons: I can get in my protein easily and fixing them gets me out of the kitchen quickly when I'm feeling tempted to raid the refrigerator and/or the pantry. As others have said, it's up to the individual and also what their doctors say.

A shake every Breakfast for me. With Fiber added and fruit. Containing ny liquid vitamins, flax oil, yogurt. Come on these can be made healthy. Soy milk, all organics, and I always get a bannana a day in this way. I think the fiber really just blows up (psyillium silk powder) which keeps me full 5-6 hours most days. Its taken a long while to master the recipes for me though. All are indeed different. One shake taste like crap to me but good for another.