Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I saw your post then decided to register so my profile is not even up yet. I met with Dr C yesterday (Jul 2oth) I am also scheduled for Aug 15 at 1:20. We may end up in the waiting or recovery room together

Hi Everyone: I was wondering if it is possible to indicate what type of band you have. I have a Fr. Midband and 4ccs is a minimum with the average fills being 6 - 8 ccs. When I hear about .2 cc it is a lot for some bands and not much for others. I draw a lot of support from this website and the information is sometimes saving me a lot of pain. Doddie

I've got a 4cc-er... Andrew's is much bigger. Seems more understandable that that little of an amount would make a difference in mine... but yeah... these things ARE weird!

The aspiration: I don't know if its the correct term, but what I'm talking about is when I wake up in the middle of the night, fluids having slipped back up my esophagus, and I've inhaled and choked. I don't think you can stop it from happening. I think it's a matter of being too tight. The best way to avoid it would probably just be taking your fills slow, so that you avoid getting too tight. I never had the problem for the longest time, then BAM, tight fill... and they started. (this ended up with me getting my first defill)

Oh yeah... also, making a point of not eating near bedtime can make a difference. But ... once again, I USED (prior to defill) to be able to eat right up til I went to bed! It's probably a good habit to get into anyways :car:

I saw your post then decided to register so my profile is not even up yet. I met with Dr C yesterday (Jul 2oth) I am also scheduled for Aug 15 at 1:20. We may end up in the waiting or recovery room together
I am at 9:20 a.m. on August 15th. That would be totally cool if we see each other.

Lisa

I've got a 4cc-er... Andrew's is much bigger. Seems more understandable that that little of an amount would make a difference in mine... but yeah... these things ARE weird!

The aspiration: I don't know if its the correct term, but what I'm talking about is when I wake up in the middle of the night, fluids having slipped back up my esophagus, and I've inhaled and choked. I don't think you can stop it from happening. I think it's a matter of being too tight. The best way to avoid it would probably just be taking your fills slow, so that you avoid getting too tight. I never had the problem for the longest time, then BAM, tight fill... and they started. (this ended up with me getting my first defill)

My band is the Inamed AP Large band which holds a total of 14CC. I now have a fill of 5.1CC. I am still getting some reflux issues, but not nearly as bad as when I was 5.5 and 5.3CC.

I am taking it easy for a couple if days to see if I can get my stomach to heal a little and hopefully the reflux/aspiration will go away.

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Are you doing anything like cutting off eating and drinking for a good time before bed?

Hey Andrew,

Are you doing anything like cutting off eating and drinking for a good time before bed?

I have been trying to, but I dont have a hard & fast rule about it. I try not to eat or drink about 2 hours before bed which is about 8:00. Sometimes it is tough though as we eat late occasionally.

I am not sure if it has helped or not or if it was the defill that I had on Friday.

I am taking it easy and have done liquids the last couple of days to get my stomach to settle down from being too tight. I am hoping that will help and then I will be able to get back to eating right until bed time.

I had found that a glass of milk before bed seemed to help.

If I come up with anything I will let you know.

Andrew

Oh, I've tried everything... I love the ice cold glass of milk thing, but it's still gotta be hours before I go to bed, unfortunetly. I'd love to get to be able to eat right up until just before I go to bed, cause sometimes, you just have to!

I hope the defill works out for you!

That would be awesome to connect live at Dr C's office. Are you going to the luncheon at Kelseys on Saturday the 28th? I have taken the morning off work and I am throwing out all the clothes that are slightly big on me, as I know in a few weeks they will be hugely too big and unwearable. lol

Hello Everyone

I am scheduled for August 15th. I think it is good Karma because it was my grandmothers birthday. I live in Oakville, and would be interested in meeting local bandsters, who are willing to share their wisdom and experience. Perhaps a coffee at Starbucks or Tims?

Oh, I've tried everything... I love the ice cold glass of milk thing, but it's still gotta be hours before I go to bed, unfortunetly. I'd love to get to be able to eat right up until just before I go to bed, cause sometimes, you just have to!

I hope the defill works out for you!

I would love to eat up until bed time too. I know what you mean, some days I metally go over what I eat & I think that I should have some more to try & stop myself from losing muscle mass.

I also like to have desert around 8:30 - 9:00 after the baby goes to bed. Those costco Healthy Choice Ice cream bars are a favorite, or just a glass of wine beer to unwind.

About the only thing that I have really found to work are Zantac 150's.

I think I may talk to the clinic about the reflux. Even last night I was out in the yard building the fence until about 10:00 and had to have some Water. What a pain.

Andrew

<p><p>Gaffer and Andrew, I am with you. I am starting to be very frustrated. I was banded in March 2007 and have lost 38 pounds for the last two months. I have been, too tight twice, two defils and now had a small fill a few days ago and today I was in agony again. I guess I am destined to weight 270 pounds! At least you have both had some significant weight loss.Dr. C is so wonderful and so is his staff. I desperately need more guidance with my diet. I eat what I can because I am starving and too tight. When I am not too tight I eat until I am full and make healthy food choices but do not lose weight. I have to admit that I have not exercised regularly enough. I have had so much discomfort in my stomach that it has been too distracting. Anyone have any dietary support outside of the clinic? Someone who is experienced with either having the band themselves or working with other patients who are banded. thanks for the posts and for listening to me vent

Wow Gaffer you hit the 100 lbs. Good for you. You must feel alot better. Don't get to discourage mitcha it is not a race as this is a lifelong journey and there might be some bumps along the way.We all have been on plateaus for 2 months at a time.It is discouraging but you may be losing inches too.Does Dr C provide a nutrictionist(sp) in his services? You need to exercise along with your diet.I go to aquafit . I really enjoy it.Don't be so hard on yourself mitcha,you are doing good.

<p><p>Gaffer and Andrew, I am with you. I am starting to be very frustrated. I was banded in March 2007 and have lost 38 pounds for the last two months. I have been, too tight twice, two defils and now had a small fill a few days ago and today I was in agony again. I guess I am destined to weight 270 pounds! At least you have both had some significant weight loss.Dr. C is so wonderful and so is his staff. I desperately need more guidance with my diet. I eat what I can because I am starving and too tight. When I am not too tight I eat until I am full and make healthy food choices but do not lose weight. I have to admit that I have not exercised regularly enough. I have had so much discomfort in my stomach that it has been too distracting. Anyone have any dietary support outside of the clinic? Someone who is experienced with either having the band themselves or working with other patients who are banded. thanks for the posts and for listening to me vent

It sounds like you are still too tight and you may want to go get some taken out and let your stomach rest for a while. 38lbs since March is nothing to sneeze at & you should be proud of yourself. For me, the key really has been the exercise. I believe to maximize your results you need to exercise. Not only does exercise help me lose the weight, but when I am sticking to my workouts the whole thing stays together. I make better food choices and find that I am not eating as much crap.

I had to go last night to get another defill. From talking to the clinic & my fill Dr. what they think is happening is that my esophagus is irritated and has not really had time to fully recover, despite my defills. I was very happy at 5CC, but now I am at 4.5CC to let things recover for a while. I guess I will have to be more mindful of my diet with less restriction. I will evaluate in a month & see about going back to 5CC.

I dont know about anyone else, but for some odd reason I see a defill as a bit of a defeat. I know I should not feel that way, but for some reason I do. Oh well, time to build a bridge & get over it.

Wow Gaffer you hit the 100 lbs. Good for you. You must feel alot better.

Yes, I hit the 100lbs lost mark a couple of weeks ago. It feels pretty good mentally & physically. It has kinda kept me going through this rough patch with my fills/defills. At least I am still losing weight which is important to keep me motivated.

I have about 45lbs to lose to get to my goal, so I hope to make it there by Christmas. I know these last 45lbs will be the hardest. I may also adjust my goals a little. If I were to be at 15% body fat I would weigh about 220lbs so I will have to see as I get down there.

Andrew

Hi: Having fills and defills can't be good for your stomach. As some posts have said get off the fill/defill treadmill. Get a looser fill and leave the band alone. The band is a tool to help you feel full. Start looking at your eating habits if you are not loosing weight. Ice cream is not a mushie diet for instance. I have 4 ccs and a small amount of restriction. I only PB when I don't chew my food. I am striving to change my eating habits and to make better choices leaving the band to remind me when I am full (a marble in my throat, hiccup,pulsating feeling in the stomach). I only have lost 38 lbs since Feb. but that is OK because I have the rest of my life get to a normal weight. I guess my point is you are on the treadmill and suggest you start looking at your eating pattern and choices. Doddie