Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing some advice!

Well hello there everyone!! Long time no chat! I hope all are doing well.

Ok we have a problem! I got my band June 7/07. Went through the post stages. Some struggling with the puree. Some major cheats that lead to some pain. But got over it.

I do not get my first fill until July 23/07. Right now I am sooo back to my old habits. I am eating bad and am not happy with myself. However all the same feelings I had before the band of food addiction is here. Now believe me I am not going all out with the bad foods. A bunch of kids I work with today wanted to go to McDonalds. I said no. So I am having some self control.

I keep trying to convince myself all will change when I get the 1st fill. Now the question is is that true.

Will this band REALLY make me feel full. Will it stop the feelings of temptation? Will it stop me from eating bad foods to allow me to lose weight?

Now I know if I dont want to work the the band then I will have trouble. Of course that is not my intention. I guess the fear for me is last week I did gain 3 lbs back. I was not shocked due to the way I was eating. I also know this is not the lose weight stage.

I guess I am super scared that the fills wont do the trick for me bc I will not intenally sneak things here and there. Its the addiction that I know some if not all understand.

All this said I am being positive and really just want the fill to start bc to me its kinda like nothing has changed until I get restriction.

Did anyone go through the same sort of situation at my stage of post op?

Relax. The weight will come. Right now you must concentrate on following the rules to allow yourself to heal and the stitches around the band to build up scar tissue to anchor it solidly. I can only suggest what I have been doing. I forgot about the scale and concentrated on changing one bad habit. It take 3 weeks to change a bad habit if you are consistant in practicing the good one. Once you feel in control then start on exercise that you like. By then you should have your fill and can start measuing your food. The full feeling is almost the same with everyone. You feel a pressure in your throat like a marble is caught there. If you eat more, the pain begins. You must stop when you feel the "marble". If you don't you probably will have to PB. Hope others will give you some advice but this is the course that I have been taking. Doddie

Wow I had my surgery June 12 and my first fill is July 24 and I HAVE EVERY FEELING AND QUESTION AND FEAR THAT YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It feels like a big let down like nothing ever happened like it was a dream all of the excitment and anticipation is gone and the old compulsive eating habits start returning, I feel comforted just knowing this must be fairly normal to feel this way.I also did cheat on solid food on the 16 day post op but I got scared that I might be messin something up and went back on liquids for the remainder of the 21 days needed for the liquids.

I have also found my self the last week or so eating what is probably too much because I feel very full, not painfull but close and I worry maybe It is streching the new stomach although that was never emphasised by my dr. I think the nutritionist mentioned it once. Thanks for posting I think we will do just fine! I mean I think 90% of the people who have lap band surgery are just exactly like us and the vast majority do lose their weight and love their band!!!

Hello Miranda:

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I was banded June 01 and my fill is July 16 and let me tell you now that I'm on solid foods it's not that easy. One thing I discovered is that my cravings are still there and my bad habits are back but I'm overeating a lot less. I have not lost a lot of weight since I've started on solids but friends who are banded have told me that once the restrictions happen your bad habits will be curtailed or ELSE!! :biggrin1: They advised me to enjoy this time pre-restrictions..so I'm going to tell you what they tell me..DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP - YOUR TIME WILL COME. Hope it helps you to know you're not alone. :)

Cheers.

What you need to remember is that the band does not start really working until you have the proper amount of restriction! Everyone is different and for some of us it takes 2, or several fills to get to our "sweet spot". When I was banded over a year ago it took me 4 months and my 4th fill to hit my sweet spot. Until then I could eat almost anything and was hungry but I was determined to diet until I reached restriction and still managed to lose 25 lbs. in that period.

Best wishes,

Donna

VBG/87 Revised To Lapband/06 By Dr. Cobourn

251/148/125 goal

Wow it was good to hear pple going through the same thing.

Okay was not a good day either. I did eat the McDonalds i stayed away from yesterday. At this point I am eating alot of the wrong things.

I just read the fact about the stomach streaching. I didnt even think about that. Now I am freaking that I have done that!!! Ahhhh.

I am soo back at the same size servings and all. Ok this needs to stop!!!

I JUST WANT THE 1ST FILL.

Linda I feel ur pain. After the surgery I was like ok now what? Then nothing. All of that to just go back to eating bad. I know its my own doing and its only me who can stop. However its hard to stot such an addiction when nothing seems to be happening when u over eat.

Hmm maybe I will call Rosanne to give me crap. I am soo joing the gym next week! Its time to get to crunch time.

Guys,

I went through the exact same thing! Firstly - what Donna said about the fills is exactly right - it takes some time to find the right restriction and the band to do it's job.

Secondly - just because we are banded, does NOT mean that we have lost our addiction to food or compulsion to eat certain foods. My understanding is that it helps once we reach our "sweet spot". but we have to do some of that work ourselves. Why do we eat? What triggers our eating? Are you finding comfort, solace, stress reduction from over eating? Do you use food (like I do) to displace feelings of anger, helplessness, lonliness? I personally feel that understanding the root of why I have used food is very important and will allow me to identify those feelings and make proactive changes.

I see a huge similarity in many of us that we have that "let down" feeling while healing and before the fist fill. I think we need some support in that area. A meeting or at the very least some info pre/post op on this phenomenon so we know what to expect. I have spoken to a number of people who have questioned their decision to be banded at this point! That is very de-motivating at a time when we are most vulnerable.

So....hang in there, spend this time as Donna said, working on things like eating and chewing as a bandster, honestly examining your thoughts and feeling around food and looking forward to a good and healthy future.

Let's keep posting about this!

Susan,

I was banded on the exact same day. We have that in common, however, I have almost double the amount of weight to lose as you do! Anyway, I feel the exact same way as you all do. I have had one fill and the only good it's done really is to ensure I get more kinds of food STUCK! I have to consistently fight with myself NOT to fall into my old eating habits. Not buying the junk is a good start, however, I want to pig out even on the good stuff!

Okay...this is more important...I troll you guys' thread sometimes because I like the way you all communicate with each other. Also, you sound like fun people. I am a voyer!!!!!!!!!!! I admit it. Soooooooooooo...to ease my conscience, I think you should make me a token Canadian. After all, I have relatives in the Seattle area and I have crossed the Canadian border many times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that should qualify me!!!! And..like I said before, I have been to Victoria three times, too!!!! Let me know if you think I qualify. If I don't I'll just keep spying on you all and try to get over to Vancouver and Victoria as much as possible until you think I do.....................

Anxiously awaiting your replies! Also, if you guys ever come to Reno, where I live, I would make you honorary Nevadans, and specifically Renoites!!!!!!! You would absolutely flip out at our ghost towns, sage brush and 108 degree (our temp. Thursday) weather...what an extreme challenge it is to garden here!!! Seriously though, if you've never been to Lake Tahoe and its surrounding mountains, you would love them. After all, I do hail from the most mountainous state in the U.S. and the biggest little City in the world!!

Sallie

Uniqueone,

Stick an "Eh" on the end of every question and you automatically become an honourary Canadian - oh yes and you have to add the letter "u" into many words where an "o" is present.

WELCOME!!!!

My highest weight was 287 when I started WW July 2005 - lost 60+ lbs and gained 40 back - that was when I said enough - I can't continue to gain and lose and gain and gain so I started researching and decided to go with the band.

It is a struggle every day to relearn and rethink. I am finding it a little easier to eat more consciously and less is getting stuck. (Although I did PB some of my Breakfast this morning - I think because I ate too much).

I had posted on the general discussion about how I miss taking big bites and the feeling of my mouth filled with food. To feel almost like I am pigging out, so I have started taking bites that are a bit bigger, chewing, chewing and swallowing a little bit, chewing more swallowing more etc. I find this is helping with my desire to eat more. Ah the things I do to trick this crazy mind!

Location, Location: I am way further east than Vancouver - Ontario in fact and specifically Toronto. Although I have been to Vancouver a couple of times. I have been to Las Vegas once but not to Reno or Lake Tahoe which I hear is spectacular! I am not sure how I would deal with that kind of heat being a Northerner! I would need a personal air conditioner!

So my dear, now that you are Canadian, please continue to join in our little group - just don't suggest any products or stores that can only be found in the US because we get a little tesy about that! LOL!!!!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Susan

I personally don't think we say "aboot"... at least I don't ! It's a myth!

Hey you two. How you think you pronounce words and how others hear you are two different things. I never thought I had an accent until travelling in the deep south. Everytime I said something I was immediately asked if I was English or Canadian. It was so funny, because here I was thinking the southern accent was strong but at the same time they were thinking what accent I had. LOL

Susan,

that was a good reply on fills. I just had my third fill on Thurs. and I am now feeling restriction for the first time. I was begining to think it was a myth. Now I definately think and chew before I swallow.

Sallie, you are welcome to the great northern site. We like Americans to keep Canada green, by spending your greenbacks.:):D I was in Vegas last Feb. the highs were only 50F and damn cold at night but we had a lot of fun. (my DW and I) I did my share of keeping Vegas green.:phanvan I am living about 60 miles west of Toronto but I did live on the left coast for a couple of years when in the navy.

I just heard on the news that they had hail the size of baseballs in Sask., they need that in Nevada.

Good Luck losers.

I am sooo glad to hear others are having the same issues as I am, getting back into a fewof my bad habits. I was banded on June 2 and lost 16lbs, gained 2 back and started to freak out, I thought I was doing well but as soon as I started introducing solids back into my menu, I gained 2lbs lost 2lbs and then gained it back again. I don't get a fill until July 17th, and I don't want to gain any more weight back.....HELP!!!!any suggestions I'm open to any advise from bandsters or I am I just over reacting.

I am struggling myself so can't give any advice. Had two fills and have some restrictions, but I am PBing again which means I am eating and gulping my food. Not good. So I have put myself back on Glucerna (meal replacement for diabetics) untll my sore stomach gets better then I start all over again tracking everything I eat on the Sparkspeople website. Others use Fitdat but that is what I am suggesting start tracking and go back to square 1. doddie