Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5'8 and 498 pds and 50 years old. I was approved for lap band but changed my mind and surgeon. The new surgeon says sleeve is best for me because I have no health issues except apnea and aching joints. I am blessed that way. I like the sleeve because it has less side effects that rny but people are telling me it isn't as effective because it isn't as restrictive. I know this is just a tool and I am so ready to change this body and my life. What do you guys think?

The data point I used to go with the sleeve was the Cleveland Clinic data on 4 year results. Nearly the same results without many of the side effects and difficulties with bypass. https://weightloss.clevelandclinic.org/sleevegastrectomy.aspx

I originally thought that I wanted the band because I liked the idea of it not being permanent. However, after researching and speaking with my surgeon, I decided to do the sleeve. I couldn't be happier already with the sleeve (im 4 months out). Some of the things that were pointed out to me about the band were:

- While it can be more restrictive, it can also be less restrictive if you aren't getting it adjusted constantly

- One person I spoke with who had it said in the first year they had to have it adjusted 20-25 times. (imagine all those appts)

- The statistics of gaining weight back are larger (no pun intended)

I think that either surgery is a step in the right direction. It is what will work best for you. I am extremely happy with the sleeve. No complications and I feel GREAT!

I had the band. Note I said had. It was fine for the first 2 years. Then we couldn't get it adjusted any longer so that I wasn't throwing up everything including liquids. I had a revision to the sleeve on June 1st and I do not miss that band at all.

I don't miss throwing up. I don't miss having that port in my body that would slide across a nerve and give me a major sharp stabbing pain. I don't miss those giant needles being stuck into my stomach. I don't miss having to go for adjustments to the fill all the time.

I don't have quite as much restriction with the sleeve, but I also don't have an appetite. I don't get hungry and don't think about eating all the time.

With the band after surgery I could not eat chicken. I don't care which part or how you cooked it, it would not stay down ever. Now I can eat chicken again. I haven't had problems with any foods so far.

I am so glad you are NOT going with the lapband. Some tough talk here, you are pretty high BMI and the band is completely unsuited for that situation in my opinion based on my personal experience of being the not so proud owner of one of them for a decade....

I was a BMI of about 52 when I revised from the band to sleeve. The first surgeon thought I was too high of BMI/failed history for the sleeve and I should go with RNY.

I chose a different surgeon who did think I was a good candidate for the sleeve and i have done very well (I revised to sleeve in Dec 2011)

If I was higher BMI, I would seriously consider the RNY or the DS procedures. I don't know much about it, but there is a new DS technique that seems to have less side effects and for people with alot to lose, the DS is by far the most effective. It is also the procedure with the most "issues" including defieciencies so it is about tradeoffs...

Anyway, do your research because failing and revising to another procedure is really tough, physically, emotionally etc. Really learn about the options and chose the one that has good research to back it up being successful for your goals, amount of weight loss desired etc. Good luck!!!

I am 5'8 and 498 pds and 50 years old. I was approved for lap band but changed my mind and surgeon. The new surgeon says sleeve is best for me because I have no health issues except apnea and aching joints. I am blessed that way. I like the sleeve because it has less side effects that rny but people are telling me it isn't as effective because it isn't as restrictive. I know this is just a tool and I am so ready to change this body and my life. What do you guys think?

@@OKCPirate that link did NOT lead to research showing comparable results.... in fact it looks like pretty dated info as they were essentially "testing" the sleeve.

Remember, even with less restriction, the part of the stomach they remove produces the majority of the huger hormone gherlin. So you feel full faster and more satisfied.

I'm pre-op (11 days to surgery), but this was a major plus for me in making my decision.

@@CowgirlJane - yep, I thought the link was on that page, here are some better numbers:

https://asmbs.org/resources/studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and-effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-surgery-procedure

I can't seem to find my original links today, hopefully others will be able to find the studies.