Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buying future clothes

I am having surgery in the dead of winter. I know some of my winter clothes will fit me at first. My question is....what type of clothing Should you buy in the losing phase.

Edited by cindyw41

Depending how

Much and how fast you lose, the

Best way is to have your clothe taken in during the losing stages. I had most of my pants taken before buying anything new. I didn't want to look sloppy. When you're home just w

Ear comfortable clothe. Sweat pants etc.

I think I am going to have some of my winter clothes tailored.

It is something you have to play by ear I think. There is no way to tell how much or how fast you will lose, or where.

I am still planning on getting through the next few months with dresses and belts and jackets.

Spring/Summer I plan on getting new form fitting clothes.

I wore loose clothes so the pants continued to "fit" for 2 months post-op. When they started to fall off, I just hit the local Goodwill and bought 8 pairs of various sized pants (you can get good brands!) for $3 each. Now I have grown out of most of those so I need to make another trip. Your sizing will change so randomly that I wouldn't suggest putting a lot of $$ into clothing at this point!

Agree with @deetz71. So far I have worn things until they are just too big to get away with, then I hit Goodwill or Ross to get low cost options. I don't get much at one time though cos they only last me about a month before I need smaller items. I will enjoy building a new wardrobe when I am at goal. Good luck!

A lot of great ideas! I'll get some tailored and shop at those store but I can't wait to go on a shopping spree and throw all of these "fat pants" out.. my closet will never be the same! :)

So far, I'm been able to mostly "shop" in my own closet. I have a lot of old clothes, some of them rarely or never worn, in sizes ranging from 20W down to 10. I kept all the smaller sizes hoping to fit into them again someday. I've bought a few things on sale at Target to supplement--a couple t-shirts, a pair of jeans.

I just retired a pair of pants because my kid pulled them down trying to get me to pick him up. That has been my MO, I wear them until they fall off and then I go to goodwill or the Salvation Army and find something else. I also have a couple of events coming up that require me to look decent so I will go buy something then but I don't want to spend money on clothes until I am close to my goal weight.

As I struggled with increasing weight, I never once threw anything out (unless it was ripped or otherwise beyond repair), because I always had high hopes that I would return, whether that be by D&E or surgery. I am just lining everything up in order of decreasing size, and I am not graduating myself down a size until the bigger garment absolutely does not fit by any standard, partly because I really like loose-fitting clothes regardless of what size I am. I also don't love shopping (not because of fat stigma), so I hope this process can happen with minimal expenditures on clothes (except when something is extremely compelling, then I'll buy whatever is slightly smaller than the size I am walking into the store to give it the longest life).

I have been over weight 20+ years so there isn't anything left of the former me. If there was it would be so out of style lol

I just retired a pair of pants because my kid pulled them down trying to get me to pick him up.

Hopefully it didn't happen in the middle of the grocery store or something! :D

Yes Goodwill! I can't tell you what amazing deals I find on high end brands! Ann Taylor, Lucky Brand, J Crew, American Rag, my new favorite Free People, all of them for $3-5 a piece!

As I increased my fatness, I didn't throw any of my stuff away. Fortunately it was mostly black polo shirts, with the occasional colour (shocking, I know) thrown in..

The beauty of not throwing anything away is that, as my fatness level decreases, I'm getting back into my 'old' stuff, which is virtually in 'as new' condition...

Trousers are a different story tho... I've not bought any new ones at this stage and the ones I have are all now looking like I'm in an MC Hammer video..( If that's lost on anyone, Google 'U Can't Touch This' and admires some baggy arsed pants!!)

I've purchased a couple of 'future' items of clothing. A 2015 Parramatte Eels NRL jersey and a couple of shirts, which are too small for me at the moment. As I'm not a massive fan of the scales, I just try the jersey on every week or so to see if I'm getting closer to getting into it..

And I am!!

I've lucked out here. My best friend had VSG last year, I just got to raid her closet. Then we have another friend that had the surgery about 7 months ago. Try and see if you can find friends, maybe through a local support group, and set up a clothing swap.

Also, I love my Goodwill, and on the first Saturday of the month everything is 50% off.

Our other friend is a lawyer and has really nice, high dollar, suits. She had those tailored. Sometimes that's really expensive, so unless it's something you really love or very expensive, it may not be worth the money.