Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chickie, talk to me!!

Hey, Chickie, I saw on another post you have PCOS and have converted to vegetarianism. I too have PCOS, but my doctor has never given me any medication for it. What have you done through the years that has helped you? I know Atkins has been the only thing that's worked for me in the past. Are you happy with your band? I'm worried that with PCOS that even the band isn't going to help.

Linda

I am thrilled to bits with my band. I have lost about 110% of my excess weight, and feel fantastic (I don't look bad either! lol) So thrilled may be an understatement.

What have I done that worked for *me*? Well, for a start, I started eating low GI (The Glycemic Index ) . After trying all the low fat, low carb, low everything diets that are supposed to help with PCOS symptom management, Low GI worked really well for me. I think the reason it was eaiser to stick with was because I wasn't cutting out *all* carbs. I was just replacing them with better options.

It kept my blood sugars and insulin lower that with just medication alone.

Insulin Resistance, or Type 2 Diabetes is usually the reason for an Rx, but not always. Some Endocrinologist's like to prescribe Metformin to ladies with PCOS to help them lose weight even if their sugars and insulin are normal. There is even going to be a study done here in Oz to see the effect of Metformin on moderately overweight women as a diet drug.

I, like you, worried that PCOS would hinder my weight loss. But after banding, I realised just how much I was eating (when I compared it to how little I was eating post op). And I also realised, while my diet was OK while I was trying to lose weight (otherwise I did eat garbage) Even OK wasn't good enough. I had to do better if I wanted the weight to come off.

I overhauled my daily diet (the word "diet" in my mind now refers to how I eat. Not a period of time where I try to lose weight, then go back to my "normal" eating) Started exercising (just walking at first, later running and heavy weights) and I saw pretty immediate results. And the better I ate, and the more I exercised, the better I felt.

But basicly, these days my PCOS is managed with Low GI eating, and plenty of exercise. I went off my Metformin at about 6 months post op (maybe before that I can't remember) and I have had a perfect 28 day cycle since then. My acne has cleared up, no new hair has started growing, and my blood sugar and insulin are normal. What more could I ask for?

Chickie, thank you for the info. I will be looking up low GI stuff now! Did you say no new hair has grown or you have grown hair? I'm finding I'm thinning on top where my bangs are (of course the most obvious place!!) and I can see my scalp. It's so depressing.

Linda

Sorry, I was referring to the excess hair. I never really had a problem with the hair on my head falling out. I always had a very thick head of curls. I still do. The hair that grew where it wasn't supposed to (arms, chin, ect) has stopped growing.

Just out of curiousity what does PCOS stand for???

Thanks Chickie esp. for the link to wikipedia. Take care, Michelle