Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could use some advice

I'm 7 days post op, got over the extreme pain post surgery and am getting into the swing of things.

Here's the problem.

I'm an extremely emotional eater. I get upset, food comforts me, brings down my anger, anxiety...but now I'm on an all liquid diet and for the last 24 hours I feel like I've been in a hulk-like rage. Now I think some of the things I have every right to be legitimately upset about (without getting into details) but I'm at the point where I'm tilting at windmills just to fight!!! I know I'm doing it and I can't. stop.

I finally took a sleeping pill 20 minutes ago (the doc said it was fine) so I can just stop raging.

Someone....please help. I feel like I'm on the edge of doing things that I can't take back with people I love.

The only thing I can think of....I do have an old old stash of Mary Jane. I was always able to control my hunger when I smoked back in the day. Do you think that could help to get me over this hump? I know part of it is my body desperately craving sugar and food and delicious french fries and a sweet sweet burger......but none of the relationships in my life will survive if I can't control this - I'm a teacher, I can NOT go off on my kids the way I'm going off on people now or I will flat out lose my job when school starts in 2 more weeks - I SHOULD lose my job, I'm not fit to be in public.

If you are a teacher I don't recommend ...

I'm sorry I guess this will be a hard topic but I hope you feel better the sleeping pill should help zzzzzzzz

I'm also an emotional eater and actually just finished crying my eyes out because I couldn't eat what my family was eating! It's hard!! But you have to find something else to do. I also put myself to bed and took some meds! I'm hoping it will get easier and I think it will! Let me know if you need a friend! We can get thru this together!

Have you tought about Wellbutrin? It's an antidepressant that helps with cravings

Edited by mimorison

It's not a bad suggestion to ask your doc about some kind of anti-depressant. I take Cymbalta, mostly for fibromyalgia, but also for the anti-depressant effect. I have been taking it for over a year already, and just got my sleeve Wednesday, but it's nothing to feel weird about. We all have these feelings sometimes that just seem to take over, and if you are getting them a lot, and they are clearly affecting your life and your health, then you have to do something about it. Keep your head up, make a few notes, then go see your doc. It may take a bit of tweaking to find the right drug or the right dose, but give it a try. Best of luck!

It's most likely the hormones being released into your body from your shrinking fat stores. Talk to your surgeon and see if they have a recommendation. I wouldn't recommend smoking anything since smoking impairs your body's ability to heal. Just try to stay away from any anger triggers. This too shall pass.

Susan

It is very common to have erratic emotions soon after surgery. As you are aware the way you have dealt with uncomfortable emotions up to now has been with food and that is no longer an option. That, coupled with the hormone changes that occur as you lose fat, this stage of post-op recovery can be difficult.

We all have to learn how to deal with stress and emotions in a constructive way without using food or turning to other destructive substances and behaviors.

So do you have a therapist? A therapist is invaluable for helping learn new and healthy ways to cope. So is a good support group.

In the meantime, until you find someone who can help, here are some ideas for things you can do:

Cry

Punch out your pillow

Take a walk

Scream

Take a shower

Write in a journal

Stroke a pet

Talk to a trusted friend

Take a nap

Sing at the top of your lungs along with your favorite CD

Dance

I am sure other people on these boards can give you some good ideas, too.

Just know that: 1) these initial mood swings will even out and things will get better; but 2) unless you learn some healthy ways to cope, you are in danger of sliding back into bad habits and/or developing new ones.