Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluro (sp?) fill question...

After surgery the doc told me that my abdominal wall was thiker than he anticipated and thought that I'd most likely have to have fills under Fluro. I believe he is right, because I can NOT feel my port.

SO, question...is it easier for the doc to give me the correct amount of fill under fluro? In other words, will it be less likely for him to be "quessing" and therefore I would perhaps get the correct restriction the first time?? (crossing my fingers) I am SO ready for a fill but have to wait until 7/23.

having your fills done under fluro just makes it easier for the doc to see where the needle is going so that he don't have to dig around looking for your port, it will not have an effect on how much he puts in, or make him be able to know what your perfect restriction will be, it will still be trial and error, just as if had it done without fluro. you will have to get fills a little at a time, regardless of whether they are done under fluro or not.

hope this helps.

All you do is go into xray and they have a real time xray so the doc can see where the needle is at in relation to your port.

good luck!!

Yes, fluoro makes ALL the difference in the world. It makes fills easier IMHO as I have had them done both ways. Never again will I have a fill without fluoro.

Not only can he see the port and make it in a single puncture but you drink barium as he fills you and he can actually see how much restriction you have. You will be watching too. It looks a bit like a squirrel peeing. :) The more restriction you have the more narrow the stream of barium passing through your stoma.

It also gives you an idea of the restriction you had before the fill but the difference after the fill as well.

When you have a fill without fluoro you drink Water, the practitioner will ask if you CAN drink Water. Well, water is ... watery. Barium is thick. If you can see thick barium going through and see the size of the stream as it passes through your stoma you have a better idea of how much restriction you have. Think about it, water will pretty well go through anything.

Especially for newbies that don't really know what proper restriction is supposed to feel like. You don't need to worry about it, you can not only feel it you can see it with your own two eyes.

So yes, fluoro makes a difference in how easy it is to access your port and the quality of the fill as well.

As for not feeling your port... maybe you will be able to feel it later, maybe you won't. I couldn't feel mine at first but not -80lbs I can feel it without a problem. It's typically sewn into the fascia above a muscle and under a fat pad. As the fat pad decreases the port is easier to feel.

I go back to my doc next Friday. I need another "fill" but have been dreading it. Both "fills" have been interesting as the doc has hit the side of the "port" both times. I won't say it is painful...but it feels weird and scares the fire out of you as it moves suddenly. It is probably tilted to cause this. I think having the "fill" done with floro would be much better for me. I'm going to give it a try!

Fills under fluoro are usually more accurate because the doc can watch the rate at which the barium flows through your Band. Also, they're a good idea at least once per year (if you don't do them for all your fills) to check on your Band, esophagus, etc.

Having said all that, it's extremely rare for one to hit the mark on the first fill... whether done under fluoro or not. Many people find that they lose restriction quite soon after their first fill, so don't be surprised if you may need another one 8-12 weeks after your first. You should still notice a difference, though, with a fill than without. :)