Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's All About Balance

This is kinda my synopsis of what I’ve gathered during my time here at LBT. It’s all about balance. You can’t go to the far-left or to the far-right. I apply this in every aspect of my life, so why not here w/my LapBand? Now, I’m not banded yet, but I’ve been busy doing the emotional, mental, and spiritual work…July 25th will just be the beginning of the physical part

Eating (once you’re onto solids…I’m not referring to the liquid/mushy phases)

As long as we’re getting a balanced meal—protein, veggies, fruit, etc., we should be fine. I don’t think we need to completely cut certain things out of our diets, just don’t go overboard w/them. I’m not telling everyone to go and stuff yourselves w/your favorite foods, but don’t feel like you can never have them again (unless of course your body tells you no). I don’t think we should be relying solely on Protein drinks/smoothies, either. Healthy, well-balanced meals should be what we’re aiming for.

Exercise (again, once you’ve been cleared by your doc)

This is an absolute must to be truly successful w/the band. To me, the band is a tool to help modify our behavior, particularly regarding food intake. It is up to us to modify our behavior regarding exercise. No one is asking you to be a world-class Olympian, but on the other hand…4 months out from surgery, I think we should have graduated from the leisurely stroll around the block.

My motto/philosophy will be everything in moderation…It’s all about balance. This has served me well so far in life, so…if it ain’t broke

So just wanted to share my $.02!!! Hope it helps someone!

My sentiments exactly.

The band actually takes quite a lot of personal commitment and behavioural changes, not the least of which is exercise. There is no surgical technique to make you get off the couch, off your but and get out there and exercise but its every bit as important as what you eat.

As for what you eat, well you can lose weight eating complete crap. I've done it many times, lol. Calories in v calories out, simple as that. But its up to you how healthy you want to be. Eating with a band is like feeding a child, you cannot afford to fill up your stomach with crap food.

My sentiments exactly.

Eating with a band is like feeding a child, you cannot afford to fill up your stomach with crap food.

I really love that. I have a 5 year old, and I'm really trying to teach her about fueling her body so she can do the things she wants to do. It's hard with all the crap directed at childrent, but I'm making progress. Both of her parents are heavy, and she's said, "I want to be a fat, like you two so I fit with this family." :omg:

I told her she can't be the fastest runner or get on roller coasters so she changed her mind, but YIKES!

I really wish it was a lesson my parents taught me. Alas.

Balance is a DAILY battle...I win some days, other days I lose...like yesterday! But today is a new day...I'll get on my bike or get to the pool and move this bod!

I DO however believe it will be easier to be balanced once proper restriction is acheived.

Balance is a DAILY battle...I win some days, other days I lose...like yesterday! But today is a new day...I'll get on my bike or get to the pool and move this bod!

I DO however believe it will be easier to be balanced once proper restriction is acheived.

But don't you think you are balancing even if you splurge on a holiday? Skinny people eat more on holidays too.

One of my challenges is trying to remember that perfection is not balance, it's impossible.

I usually shoot for about 600 calories a day. If I eat 900 calories in a day and 300 in another day, is that splurging or balance? Maybe I am justifying my 900 calories days but I really don't think so. I track every bite of food that passes my lips and it averages out to 600 calories daily.

BTW, restriction makes ALL the difference in the world!!

Gosh 600 seems so little and like it would be so easy for your body to start conserving on such a small amount. But again everyone is different and some folks need to eat less than others in order to lose.

But I do agree with you completely about balancing it all out. I think 900 one day, perhaps a couple of 500 calorie days and then it all balances out.

Gosh 600 seems so little and like it would be so easy for your body to start conserving on such a small amount. But again everyone is different and some folks need to eat less than others in order to lose.

But I do agree with you completely about balancing it all out. I think 900 one day, perhaps a couple of 500 calorie days and then it all balances out.

I'm of the opinion that conserving fat doesn't happen until someone is like little children in Africa. I've tried to find quality studies to back this one up one way or another but all I can find is calories in/calories out.

I've done really well on 600 daily. As long as I am not hungry and grazing all day I'm good to go on 600 but I know lots of people don't want to do it that way. I want the "fat" chapter of my life over quickly! I can't wait until it is over.

I'm of the opinion that conserving fat doesn't happen until someone is like little children in Africa. I've tried to find quality studies to back this one up one way or another but all I can find is calories in/calories out.

I've done really well on 600 daily. As long as I am not hungry and grazing all day I'm good to go on 600 but I know lots of people don't want to do it that way. I want the "fat" chapter of my life over quickly! I can't wait until it is over.

It does stink that there aren't more studies that speak to the effects of long term VLCD's. I think you are correct, as long as you are comfortable and not hungry, that's the key. Apparently you've been able to conquer that food monster and now can think of it as merely a fuel. I think that is part of what makes anyone successful who can lose weight and keep it off. I am still stuck (and probably will be) in the mentality of food as partly a social event. I'm much better than I was, but hope to be able to get to the "food is fuel" point.

I don't disagree about wanting the fat chapter over soon. My problem is I do wonder about what life will be like when I'm not exceptionally fat anymore. I have been at a minimum of obese since 4th grade (puberty), morbidly obese since HS and supermorbidy obese since my 20's. I have never been normal sized since I was 9. Prior to that, I was actually too thin. I hope I'll be able to handle it if and when I make it to a "normal" or merely "obese" BMI.

No, really I haven't kicked the food monster. I think about it all the time. When I want to eat but I'm not hungry I drink Water, go run for a bit, something to keep busy. Honestly, I don't think the food monster ever goes away I think we have to learn to deal with it vs. fighting it all the time. At least that holds true for me.

Now that I am losing weight I'm starting to notice things I had forgotten. The way I am treated, etc. Although I still FEEL like a heifer I'm treated very much like a lady. I'm helped faster in stores, I went to the Ralph Lauren store today and the difference today vs. a year ago is night and day. They couldn't help me fast enough. A year ago I had to beg for help. Same with the Docker store, etc.

Much as I hated being MO I have to admit, I learned a great deal about human behavior and I'm still learning.

It does suck the difference between how people deal with the invisible fat people.

Part of me wonders if it's a piece of how I carry myself, I mean I know it's the buttheads who don't see fat as equal, or see fat as less than, but there's also the "I'm in control of my universe" factor, where you can not help but notice me now. I don't think I had quite the same brilliance nearly 70 pounds ago. I know I'm more flirty and I smile much more.

I'll take some of the responsibility for fading into the background but only 20%. The other 80% belongs to people being rude. LOL