Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This past week, 12 days post op, the Constipation is some I have never had. I am drinking as much liquids as I can getting 80-90 gms of Protein. Took Miralax, and suppositories. Anyone have or had this problem and what can you suggest. I messaged my doc for some immediate relief, but of course it is the weekend, and doubt I will hear back before Monday. Thanks for any sugfestions

Are you walking or working out? That helps get things moving.

How much Water are you drinking?

I wish I had a good answer for you. I am 10 weeks out and still really struggling with this but I haven't moved on to a lot if solid foods and have been taking pain med for a kidney stone. If you are taking pain meds, Dr can give u a prescription for something that helps with opioid Constipation. If not, someone else suggested here (from her Dr) to take a dose of milk of magnesia followed by 2 Colace about 3 hours later. That has worked for me some but sometimes not. I even tried acupuncturist which helped but I stopped going to see him. You might try Milk of Magnesia and/or Colace if you haven't. Sorry. Uts a very common problem and hands down the worst part of this journey for me

It is soooooo important to STAY HYDRATED. I found that the minimum 64 oz of Water was not enough for me and experienced severe Constipation and also dehydration of the discs in my back. Very painful. The high Protein diet is very dehydrating. Keep sipping and sipping and sipping (not during meals obviously).

Check the skin on the back of your hand. When you pinch it, is it elastic and bounces back? If not, you may be dehydrating. Be sure to have your doctor check this when you do see him. I understand dehydration is one of the most common reasons bariatric patients are re-admitted to the hospital.

@@sbg224 Drink some " smooth move" tea! You can find it at Walmart and health food stores. It's natural and WORKS! Drink some at night before bed and you should be good in the AM. Try it!

If all else fails, an enema may be helpful.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I am heading back to pharmacy to see what I can get. I am drinking plenty of Water and not taking any narcotics. I am not moving as much as I should, due to 2 bad knees and doc won't let me ride my bike yet. I sure hope something works, they did recommend benefiber, gonna buy some

Benefiber didn't work for me--I think it actually made my Constipation worse. I second @@Elode's suggestion of Smooth Move Tea. I've been drinking a cup every few days, and it's quite effective.

All good suggestions!

FYI, Benefibre can be constipating if you don't up your Water intake.

If you're uncomfortable, Milk of Magnesia can give you relief in an hour, and it's safe.

I just thought it was my imagination that Benefiber made me worse. Glad to see I wasn't crazy!