Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went for a bariatric physical yesterday. I previously completed a six month supervised weight loss program, and I am back to where I started. I met with the insurance person, and since I already have most of the physical exams complete, she said I had just a few more requirements to do. Aside from the chest X-ray and blood work taken this morning, I just meet with the dietician twice, psychologist twice and fitness instructor once. From there it's a doctors visit, a pre- and post- op class, and surgeon consult. I may be cleared as early as - BAM - the end of October. YIKES

I am still in shock. I thought for sure there would be many months of additional hoops to get through. I guess I will believe it when I have the final approval in place. We are going to take a vacation to see family over Thanksgiving, so I don't want my recovery to interfere with that. Since I have an office job, Time off may be as little as one week. Everything is done laparoscopically.

I don't know if I will do RNY or sleeve yet, but the surgeon will be able to provide insight after reviewing all test results, etc.

Crossing my fingers, my toes, my eyes, my legs -- wait -- can't cross my legs just yet -- that I am cleared. I anticipate looking somewhat svelte for my 50th in May!

I had RNY three and 1/2 months ago, have lost about 85# and diabetes, BP, edema, other things gone or vastly improved. It is worth it. I am predicting being a normal weight by February at the rate it is going, first time since age 3. I am 64 and retired but there was no way I could have gone back to work in a week, even with a desk job. Try to get at least 3 weeks off, this is major surgery and your body will be in shock. I had to take major painkillers for about 10 days.

Thanks, John - and congrats on your wonderful progress! I will wait to hear from the surgeon before taking the word of the physicians assistant on time off from work. I am gravitating towards RNY as I know several people who have had it several years ago. I don't know anyone in person who was sleeved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with John. One week is too optimistic to return back to work.

I was pretty much back to "normal" after five days. I could have gone back to a desk job after a week. Everyone has a different rate of recovery, so you could go back in a week or need longer it is hard to predict.

@@luvhermitcrabs Great News!

Congrats!

Congratulations!

The work thing is a bit tricky. Depending on how you recover and tolerate pain you could make it back in a week. I went home on wed. Took my last pain killer on Thursday. So 4 total days on pain meds.

The hardest part was the total concentration to get my Clear liquids in that first week. I sat with it right by my side and had to literally focus and sip constantly and I was lucky to get half of what I was supposed to in.

When I went to full liquids the next week it got even harder. And by then I was very week and found myself napping every day for about 3 weeks.

For me, it was not the pain. It was how tired and weak I felt. About the start of week four things got much better and I was functioning fairly normal but still not getting enough Water or Protein in.

I had RNY in early July and am just starting to be back to normal. I ended up pulling an internal staple the 2nd cause I thought I ok to bend and clean, laundry, ect. Just be careful for the first month.