Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 minutes before drinking? Really?

Hi all,

So I'm almost 2 months out of surgery and things are going great, have lost 25 kilos so far, not complaining in the least.

my NUT has raised a concern with a recent blood test of me not eating enough Protein, but nothing serious, so I'm making an effort.

What I AM having trouble with is the drinking rule. So last night I got some chicken and an eggroll (I was authorised to "eat anything" now), and I clocked it to make sure I was waiting 30 minutes. But I still felt full as if I had just finished eating. Also, I don't think I was eating too much. (100 grams of chicken with 2 tiny eggrolls, should be fine, no?) or perhaps I was eating fast again? I was chewing a lot too, so no worries there.

But then I went to a movie and was really thirsty. So in the movie I got some ice tea and sipped at it, but immediately felt like I was "dumping", even though the wait was at least 45 minutes if not more after meal. Is this normal at my stage? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Any insight would be appreciated, cos it is summer and sometimes, having known this issue, i'd almost skip a meal just to get a cold drink!

Thanks

@@punklandia - make a note of how the chicken was prepared. I had some ground buffalo recently that felt like it was stuck in my "restrictionator" (my new pet name for my sleeve) and caused me to kind of retch. I don't have that problem when I cook it at home. So if the food was really dry, that may be something you want to look at, and use Condiments to moisten down the road.

I have never done the 30 minutes before or after routine, but sometimes if I eat more than I should, I will get the foaming or need to retch if I drink too much. I'm at almost a year out, and it still happens, very rarely, but I do pin point it to too much to eat. Good luck!

I am technically allowed to drink 20 minutes after eating, but I usually have to wait at least 40. I am just SO full from the food that it takes that long for my stomach to empty enough for the Water to fit. I assume there wasn't any sugar in that tea you were drinking?

PS: 110 grams of chicken plus two egg rolls sounds like a LOT to me. I can usually only do about 4 ounces (112 grams) of chicken and nothing else in one sitting and I'm 11 months post-op. But since you are male, you might have a slightly larger sleeve than me.

Hi all,

Thanks for this. I might be rushing it, but it did seem not that much. Also, I am sure my sleeve will be bigger than a woman's - I'm 194cm (6"4'), so... But even if, almost 60 minutes of discomfort is normal if I screw up?

Be blessed

@@punklandia - like someone else mentioned...tea unsweetened???

the other culprit may be that you are eating too fast. I sit my fork down in between bites. the couple of times I have overdone it and ate one too many bites was when I was eating and NOT paying attention and putting food in my mouth - if you are eating more than about 20 minutes you also may be eating too much. Are you weighing out your food?