Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four days out from my GB surgery. Looking for some helpful advice

First: packing list for the hospital. I know it isn't a long stay, but any suggestions for making it easier?

Second: Am I going to feel like walking as I get home from the hospital? I'm anxious to start after reading how good it is for recovery.

Thanks in Advance

I wish I had taken my own heating pad and ear plugs. Hospital provided both eventually - 4 hours after requesting and asking at least every hour.

About the walking - the hospital made me start walking on the first day post-op. Walking immediately after helps decrease the possibility of blood clots and alleviate gas. I experienced the worst of the gas on Day 2 post-op, but nothing too unbearable. I made sure to keep moving/walking, balanced with a lot of rest, when I got home (3 days post-op), and I was doing fairly vigorous gardening 11 days after surgery. Just take your pain meds like clockwork for the first week and make sure to drink Water as advised, and barring any complications, hopefully all will be fine! Good luck!

I bet I'm not the only one who took way more stuff to the hospital than I actually needed!

As for the stuff I did use:

I'm an avid reader and took a book with me (normally read two books a week), but found trashy magazines were better ... easier to pick up and put down because my brain is always a little fuzzy after an anaesthetic and I find it hard to concentrate.

I wore a hospital gown but my own dressing gown, and had some slip-on scuffs so it was easy to get them on when I went walking.

Moisturiser and lip balm.

If you have long-ish hair, take a headband ... you won't be wanting to fluff around with your hair after surgery and a headband will just keep it out of the way without any hassle.

I also took my iPad, so I could check emails, news websites and play games; and a pair of fingerless gloves because I always feel absolutely freezing after surgery.

Clothing-wise, soft, loose track pants, a comfy T-shirt and don't forget the big undies! You'll want them to either sit below your tummy, or be big enough for the waistband to sit above your incisions ... something I remembered from an earlier surgery.

As for the walking, you'll be up and about in the hospital ... short walks, that will become more frequent and longer and the days go by. Your first walk will likely be just around your bed (or from your be to the loo!), and you'll feel much more human once you've been up on your feet. Just keep plugging away with the walking once you get home and you'll be all good.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Best of luck to you, Cutwater.

I wonder if I go ahead and pack my bag now.....will it make the next 5 months go by faster ?