Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

My name is Carla and I live in Toronto Canada. I am going to have my banding on Friday July 13th (good thing I'm not supersitious)! I am currently on the pre-op diet of skim or low-fat milk , yogurt and cottage cheese. I am also allowed coffee and tea, sugar free drinks such as Crystal Lite, sugar free Jello and that's about it.

I have over 150lbs to loose, and although I have been successful dieting in the past, I have always gained the weight back, I am hoping that this procedure will be a tool which will allow me to reduce my appetite - which is large - and stay on a healthy diet not only till I loose my weight, but to learn to eat properly for life.

I have decided to do this, and to get my weight under control once and for all because I have recently been diagnosed with type2 diabetes, I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea and sore knees and back!! I know I sound like a wreck but actually I am quite healthy, I exercise everyday and I do have a lot of energy, I just love to eat. I eat for emotional reasons mostly but I also enjoy food and I am a very good cook!! I enjoy baking and make up alot of recipes.

In my personal life I am single and have a Double Yellow Headed Amazon Parrot, two budgies and two cats. I would have more animals but I live in an apartment and do not have the room. I hope when I retire - several years from now, or if I win a lottery, to move to a house where I can have more pets.

I work right now supporting Police Computer Systems for several cities and for the Province of Ontario. I enjoy my work and especially like talking with the police officiers - although most are totally computer challenged!!!

Anyway - that is my story - I'm a little nervous about the operation, and scared about making such a big change in my life - how will it affect my enjoyment of life - but I believe in the long run I will be happier - and definetly healthier.

Carla

Carla, hi and welcome to LBT. Congratulations on your surgery date. It's coming up pretty soon.

I'm from BC and had my band done in Mexico a year ago. Haven't lost as much as I fantasized I would, but I've lost enough to get into smaller clothes and have people notice.

All the best with your surgery!

Hi Carla,

This sounds like my story!

"I have decided to do this, and to get my weight under control once and for all because I have recently been diagnosed with type2 diabetes, I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea and sore knees and back!! I know I sound like a wreck but actually I am quite healthy, I exercise everyday and I do have a lot of energy, I just love to eat. I eat for emotional reasons mostly but I also enjoy food and I am a very good cook!! I enjoy baking and make up alot of recipes"

I'm being banded on July 24th. I hope to be able to gain control over food and get off all the meds. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Renee

Carla,

Congrats on your decision...I hope that you will be happy with your band...It will be a life changing experience, but a good one...

Congratulations. I will have my 3rd doctor visit on the 13th. Hope all goes well for you. It is definitely worth it. My back and knees thank me daily!

Carla, you will love this site. I am hoping to soon be approve and have surgery in Aug. I have read tons of threads and really learned a lot. Good luck on the 13th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carla- I love this site, too. I have learned so much. Somedays I think too much! HaHa!! I am currently waiting on insurance approval. Any day now...

Best of luck to you!

Carla:

I just joined this site and am a newbie.. My surgery date is August 1, 07.. I am excited... And a little scared at the same time.

Kygirl

Hi Guys:

I am a new member. I have been overweight for over 10 years and my insurance has approved my surgery, after six months. I am very excited and very scared all at the same time. I think I will be fine all except giving up my caffeine. Please send me some encouraging words....

kygirl:rolleyes

Hey Everybody,

I am new to the group. I plan on having surgery at NYU and just finished my psych evaluation. Anxious-Cant wait!!! But, having trouble deciding on Dr.Fielding or Dr. Ren. Any suggestions? Also whats up with no caffeine???

-LIGHT ER NYC:omg::eek::)

Hi kygirl,

I was banded 2 weeks ago and I thought I would have the same problem with caffine because I drank coffee in the mornng and diet coke all day long. Start now to cut back. I started 1 month prior to surgery and now I don't even want coffee or pop. I am just fine with Water, crystal light and sugar free popsicles are my replacements.

those popsicles are a life saver.

Hope all of you awaiting the band good luck. I love mine.

s-weight.png

Banded June 21/07

By Dr Needleman at OSU medical center, columbus, ohio

Hey Carla,

Nicely put, I am trying to get insurance approval but I've struggled with trying to justify it when the fact of the matter is that I CAN lose weight, I have been able to lose 20-40 lbs successfully twice (at a rate of about 5 lbs a month) and I exercise, I don't mind working hard and getting sweaty - it's just the FOOD!

Mind you, losing 20-40 lbs is great, I'm confident and happy but I'm still as big as a house....I need to lose 120lbs and I have no confidence that I can do it on my own, especially with all the times I've psyched myself up, put a plan into action, started dieting and only to gain 3 lbs my 1st week! How frustrating!

Thanks everyone, what other people are going through helps me! You just can't talk about this stuff with your friends that are 103 and 107 and 123 lbs!