Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first group support meeting

:paranoid I'm not sure what to think. There were about 20 people in the support group. Every last one of them was gastric bypass. There was one bander in there, who hated it so much he had it taken out and had the bypass. Everyone was trying to talk me into bypass. I was kind of getting mad. Even the therapist was pro bypass. It really made me doubt myself, and I didn't feel accepted. Then when we went around the room, there were about 4 people there who originally wanted a lap band, but was talked out of it, and claim to be glad they changed their mind. I thought it was a little strange, and I didn't feel I had the support I needed. I was very discouraged and disappointed.:cry Why did all of you choose the band over the bypass?????????:P:help:

People rarely die on the table from Lap Band surgery--I can't say the same from Bypass. When a dad of one of the students at the high school that I teach at DIED..I knew that it wasn't what I wanted...also my sister-n-law had bypass and has severe malnutrition (vitamins, proteins)--losing her hair--but has gained back over half of the weight she lost--she has stretched her little pouch. She is a constant snacker throughout the day--carb addict.

Find another support group!

Less risk, faster healing, less complications. I was to tight last week went in had a slight unfill felt better and was able to get my Vitamins down. Could not do that with a by pass. I have seen to many people that have had trouble one way or another and gain the weight back.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck.

I can't imagine living life as a bypass person. The fear of dying. The complications.

I want to lose weight to enjoy this life as a healthy person. Bypass doesn't equal healthy to me.

HTH

I chose lapband because I couldnt deal with the thought that something might happen to me and my kids would be left without their mom. My luck isnt good enough to gamble with the odds of dying from bypass.

They probably chose it because they want to lose weight faster. The band is a slower process. If you look 2-3 years out it is the same outcome. The band is much better as far as safety goes. You just will lose slower. You may want to phone your surgeon and see if there is another support group in the area for bandsters. Good luck.

I don't call this 'SUPPORT'. I chose lapband (although I haven't had it yet) because I didn't want the risk and non-reversible consequences of bypass. Also, I need to lose about 115 pounds, don't know if this is enough to consider bypass, but I tell you I did not even CONSIDER it - guess I'm too big a chickenshit. I had a rough time choosing even the lapband, but I realize I NEED it; I cannot do this on my own, but I am sure I can with a little support - like the lapband.

My suggestion, for whatever it's worth, is to get yourself to a group meeting that IS a support meeting for lapband patients, or get your support here on the forum. That is, unless you are strong enough to continue going to meetings and be a SHINING EXAMPLE of how good lapband CAN be.

I just didn't want to rearrange my insides. I chose LapBand because it's adjustable, less complications, can be removed/reversed if there is a problem. If I start to gain weight, I can get tightened...what's left for a gastric bypasser when they gain weight? I absorb my Vitamins becasue I sill have all of my intestines...so many bypassers face life long nutritional obstacles. And on the vain side, WAY MORE bypassers lose their hair than banders. I'd rather lose more slowly and keep my hair!

I am NOT anti-bypass...I just felt banding was a better option for me.

I think if you look at before and after pictures of lap banders and then by passers...you can see a difference in the way they look. Yes, they both have lost weight, but one group looks healthy, their faces are not sucken in and don't have a gray color to them. I think we all know what group looks like this. I don't see by passers as looking healthy at all!!! Lap band patients lose slower, so what....who wants to lose all that weight and then gain it again. I would rather lose it slower and keep it off forever. I have a friend who is a by passer who is now wanting lap band because of the weight she has gained. Do your research and then choose what you want done.

Aubrie - I had the same problem when I attended my first support group meeting, everyone had Gastric Bypass. Well, I just started my own support group in Tulsa, we just had our 2nd meeting last night. It went good and I know as time grows, I will get more members to attend. I just posted it on yahoo groups under Oklahomabandsters@yahoo.com.

I bet yahoo has a group in your state - you could maybe find some people and start your own. I have mine the first Monday of every month and I have it at the Barnes & Noble coffee shop (its free). It is working out pretty good, I've had two meetings so far and they are so much more personable than the one my dr. has.

You all are so wonderful. I wish I could have Scotty beam you all to the same place and we could meet once a month. Sometimes I need the hugs and a pat on the back. I KNOW I will need that once I have the band. thus the support group. (My surgeon requires it) It's just not a good fit for me though. I felt like such an odd ball, and didn't like having to defend my decision.

1 in 200 or 1in 2000 who die from the surgery. I chose the 1 in 2000 because I like the odds better. My Dr was even pro. bypass for me. But I got what I wanted to get because I felt it was safer and more effective in the long run. Now he is in shock how fast I am loosing the weight. I also like proving the doubters wrong. Bypass people have a greater chance of gaining it back as where if a lap band person is gaining all they need to do is get a fill. Then there is all the crazy malnutrition problems with bypass that we don't have.

I am not going to say that Bypass is all wrong because it may be right for some and a more effective surgery for some , but it was just not right for me.

Thank You All So Very Much. I Went In For Band Consult, And Was Told I Would Lose More W/bypass. It Woukld Be Better. I Was Going W/bypass, Now I Have Made Up My Mind For The Band.

I'm sorry that your 'support' group - and I use that term loosely- didn't turn out so well. I chose the Lap-Band for the following reasons:

less invasive (than GBP)

reversible

adjustable

no malabsorption problems

I would NEVER, EVER consider GBP. That's just me. I wouldn't want them cutting and rearranging my insides. It seems so drastic to me. And one of the biggest turn-offs to GBP is that they seem to get that bobble-headed look...I think it's due to the rapid wt loss. Faster isn't always better. I have 3 family members that have had it done and again, I would never consider it.

:paranoid I'm not sure what to think. There were about 20 people in the support group. Every last one of them was gastric bypass. There was one bander in there, who hated it so much he had it taken out and had the bypass. Everyone was trying to talk me into bypass. I was kind of getting mad. Even the therapist was pro bypass. It really made me doubt myself, and I didn't feel accepted. Then when we went around the room, there were about 4 people there who originally wanted a lap band, but was talked out of it, and claim to be glad they changed their mind. I thought it was a little strange, and I didn't feel I had the support I needed. I was very discouraged and disappointed.:cry Why did all of you choose the band over the bypass?????????:):help:

I have not read all the responses so forgive me if you have answered this ... Was this a support group that your doctor sent you to ? Im assuming yes . I would think either way if your doc did or did not send you to this particular support group that you could A ask your doc if he can send you to a more lap band friendly group , maybe thru another doctor that does more lap bands ? Or B find try to find one on your own. Maybe thru some networking on here. See if someone would mind if you attended theirs.

I think its great if "banders and Bypassers" can have support group meetings together , but I dont think its right if either group is going to "bash" the other one or say one is right or wrong .

Everyone has their own reasons why they had their particular surgery .

For me personally , Bypass was never an option for me. From the the first time i heard of bypass it was just not something I ever pictured myself every doing and being successful at. When i first heard about lapband I thought " Hummm not having to totally re arrange your insides permantly appealed to me off the bat. The more i checked into it , the more I realized it WAS something I COULD do and succeed at . I think you have nothing to be ashamed of or made to feel bad about. You should own your choice .

I own mine and I will debate it w/ anyone who comes along . Bypass patient or not. Just as people who have had bypass i am sure come under fire they should understand why you should not have to justifiy your choice to other WLS patients. that group does not sound like a Healthy group for you to be in .

I have not once doubted by choice. ( Ask me after July 16th lol when i have the surgery ) but I dont think i will. Im the kind once i make up my mind that's it , i dont turn back and I own that choice.

HTH

Good luck .

Love

Mindy