Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

22 years old in need of advice

Hi everyone.

I'm 22 years old and having surgery on Thursday. I am 185 pounds and I couldn't be more nervous. I am having the mini gastric bypass surgery and really really don't know what to expect. I'm having the surgery for 2 reasons. One- my mother and father have always disapproved of my weight and this was a college graduation gift. The other is that I've had major surgery on my femurs and knees when I was younger, so this extra weight is no good for my bones.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm worried about post op. The foods you can eat and the portions sizes. I've never had an issue with over eating. I gained roughly 50 pounds in college between the late night studying and the drinking. I'm worried about not being able to socialize with others over dinner and drinks.

My doctor didn't put me on a pre surgery diet so I've been eating and drinking normally. Im worried about dumping syndrome and throwing up. Not to mention never being able to drink Water and eat at the same time or never eating certain foods again.

My parents don't understand how I am feeling and my friends don't think I need this surgery so I have no one to go to- this is coming from the friendliest and most outgoing person you can come across. In need of some comforting words and advice.

My only concern is that you haven't stated if you really wanted the surgery and if your heart and mind are not into it, doing things for other people is a noble endeavor that cannot be taken lightly, but you are about to undergo a life and body altering event that can't be taken back whether you fail or succeed, I am trying to be respectful and tactful because of your age, but at 51years old I learned many years ago that even people who may love you sometime unwittingly push things on others due to their own failures and shortcomings, a car or a ring is a nice present for a college student, this gift is more complicated, I in no way want to dissuade you from having your surgery, but if you are not ready mentally and emotionally you will not meet your goals, I had major reasons for doing my surgery and at 388lbs many problems attributed to my weight, but my incentive was to do this to be here longer for my wife and children, my wife is very loving and never pushed me in any way until I said I was ready to have it done, she stood by my side, advocated for me, worked out payments, and took great care of me after the surgery, take a step back and look at who you are and what you want from yourself, ultimately you have to live with and by this decision, not anyone else, it requires a change in diet, lifestyle, and many hours of learning about nutrition, exercise and limitations, it is a sort of rebirth, and just like learning to walk again can be trying at times, whatever your decision I wish you the best, if you ever need an ear or just wanna ask questions you may inbox me anytime, there is a lot to cover about the surgery and what happens afterward, I waited two years after I wanted the surgery to be sure I was informed and was absolutely sure that I would stick with it, BTW I have exceeded expectations and I ahead of schedule, I had surgery on June 10th and will hit 299lbs in a couple of weeks and may hit my goal weight of 198 by February............ But I WANTED THIS!!!!!

Edited by laguerr13

I want to change me life and I know this is something that can do just that. The work force is vicious- I believe I'll get a better job if I'm more fit. As bad as that sounds, I've already found it to be true. I'm the smallest person on my dads side of the family by hundreds of pounds and I wanna put a stop to the obesity before I can get any larger. Thankfully I am very active and have a personal trainer and love to workout- so with this I hope the weight comes off easier. Every diet I've ever tried has failed. Not because I over eat, but because my body doesn't respond well to fad diets.

Ok, that makes more sense

Lesson 1: learn to sip your Water, it will help, I don't know what you can do on a partial gastric, but as a sleever I had to learn to sip since my stomach only holds 3-4 oz, dehydration is your enemy

Lesson 2: the scale is a tool and not your nemesis, don't let it dictate your progress, and don't weigh everyday.

Lesson 3: learn about nutrition and read past the fancy print on foods, keep your carbs low, and your Proteins high.

3: walk as soon as you can after surgery it helps with nausea, cramps, and the effects of anesthesia.

I do weight training since my knees are shot, and I work harder than ever, about 3 x a week after a full day at work and about 1 1/2 to almost two hours, I allow myself rest on the weekends, don't get discouraged at any setbacks, even healthy people have them, and work on your mind as well as your body......... Hope that's a start its a wild ride and there's a hell of alot more to know....... See you on the loser's side

I want to change me life and I know this is something that can do just that. The work force is vicious- I believe I'll get a better job if I'm more fit. As bad as that sounds, I've already found it to be true. I'm the smallest person on my dads side of the family by hundreds of pounds and I wanna put a stop to the obesity before I can get any larger. Thankfully I am very active and have a personal trainer and love to workout- so with this I hope the weight comes off easier. Every diet I've ever tried has failed. Not because I over eat, but because my body doesn't respond well to fad diets.

I'm a few months away from my surgery....so I can't really offer any insight to that aspect.

I'm over twice your age and can offer a load of life insight. :P

I will offer a brief story: My sister and I share the same genetics. We both got the family curse. She had bypass when she graduated from college and began working. She enjoyed wonderful health following the surgery. She's had excellent health throughout her 20's and 30's. Fit, trim and healthy.

I went a different path. Fad diets....tried most of them. Initial results were good.....but there just wasn't a sustained benefit. Fads are just that....temporary. The very best results I've had were when I did the trainer-gym work. A balance of cardio and weight training was the ticket. I'm now......at over twice your age.......FINALLY going to do the bypass to help me get the weight off and be a powerful tool to keep it off.....along with the gym work and active lifestyle.

You are wise and will profit hugely from this by accepting this graduation gift. Take it and run with it.....literally. Enjoy a fit and trim 20's, 30's, 40's and every decade that follows. Other folks will be along to school you on the techinques to adapt to the surgery......but take it from this young guy trapped in an old guy's body......profit from this surgery and embrace whatever minor discomforts or hurdles it presents at the beginning. You'll reap the rewards for the rest of your long and fun filled life. :D

Edited by Dub

I am 25 years old and had my surgery last week on July 30th, 2015.

I understand what you mean about social situations. In my family, food brings us together. We all enjoy it and enjoy each other's company.

For me, I took a step back from being a social foodie. I'm lucky to have very few, select friends who are extremely supportive. Who understand that trips to restaurants can't be "our thing" anymore. My mom is a rockstar and my brother and sister are slowly coming around to not having a restaurant be a meeting place. That's been my biggest struggle.

Just remember that if you want this and want to be healthier, missing then weekly dinner/drinks night is worth it.