Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings,

I was banded 2 years ago when I weighed 330 pounds and very unhealthy, now I weigh 178 and I am stronger and healthier than I have ever been in my entire life. I went from a size 28 to a size 10. I am 46 years old and my only regret is I wish I would have this done earlier in my life.

Hi Wanda,

I am new to the site too, and immediately identified with your post because my wife has a profile similar to your brief description from two years ago. You give me hope.

K's 40 years old; 300lbs+; has an assortment of medical issues; and struggles daily with joint pain and self-esteem issues. When we got married 4 years ago, I had no idea how much K suffered with aches and pains, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc...

We recently completed a 12-week weight loss/nutrition/exercise program at our local hospital, and we found the nutrition information and changes beneficial to both of us (I have high cholesterol and heart disease runs in the family). K lost a little weight, but it was very difficult for her to exercise because of the accompanying joint and back pain.

Wondering if you (or anyone else reading this) experienced problems with exercising once you reached your maximum weight (I know that's kind of personal). K's weight is preventing her from exercising, which to me, is an indication that we are really in a scary place. Sometimes I think K feels that lap band surgery is a cop-out, but I am beginning to really wonder if it is the "right" intervention for now (get some weight off, relieve those joints and back) and then we can refocus on healthy lifestyle issues around diet and exercise. Am I making sense? Anyone else out there want to comment?

I guess I am feeling really tired (frustrated? angry?) of people treating my wife like she needs to lose 20lbs before we go to the beach this summer. The "excessive" weight is, in a way, standing in the way of her "losing" or managing her weight. While gastric bypass scares the #@!* out of me, I think lapband surgery might provide us with a "leg up" to actually make some progress.

Sorry if I am ranting... but I think my wife and I are struggling to come to terms with the fact that surgery may be our last (and best!) option. How did you or others finally get to this place of making such a decision?:phanvan

- J

Hey Wanda, where in hawaii are you from and who did your surgery? My husband and I are getting banded this summer, at different times, by Dr. Fowler, let me know?? we haven't really met anyone here that lives in Hawaii. Mahalo

Get some of the weight off will definitely show results in movement, activity level and energy! My back pain caused me so many problems. Even though I have only lost 37 lbs since my banding 3/29/07, I can see a world of difference in the way I feel.

Congratulations on your success Wanda. You look maahvelous!

Jackson - i too have the joint pain = no real exercise scenario. That factor & my 28 yr track record of failed yo-yo dieting is what led me to decide upon the LB. The LB may not be for everybody, but after taking an honest look at myself, it's the tool I need to help catapoult me to a healthier, active lifestyle.

Plus, my 6 yr old son is kickin my a$$. :faint:

Your wife may be different .. she may be able to get past the dieting plateaus w/out the LB. I wish you best the both no matter what you choose.