Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone fake their 6 months supervised weight loss?

I'm not asking for myself. I have a friend who's insurance requires six months of supervised weight loss. He can't afford the copays or WW fees. He's tried to lose, I've seen it myself. Just wondering what kind of trouble he's looking at. Again, not for me! I'm legit!

How can you fake it? Most insurance companies that require it want documentation and often that has to be verified by medical personnel . Can't he just see his GP? Cutting corners often just ends up biting you in the butt. If the copays are an issue he should let his doctor know.

WW wasn't even allowed for my 3 months diet. I just checked in with my dietitian 3 times. Yeah I'm not sure how he could "fake" anything unless he's typing up his own fake documents and in that case yes you could get in some serious trouble falsifying medical documents. Better just save up the money and do it the honest way.

Even if he did WW, he's still required to see his doctor monthly. The insurance will most likely want clinical notes. So it's not really possible to fake it.

"Faking" anything is not a great way to start out this serious life-changing decision. He's only cheating himself and his health. His long-term success at WLS would be very unlikely with that attitude...

How can he afford the surgery, but not WW or copays? ????

I had a 6 month stipulation on my insurance as well, but they HAD to be with a doctor or registered dietician. Also I am curious like the others, how is he paying surgery but not copays? He may want to rethink that plan. This is coming from someone who got a nice surprise $18000 bill from the hospital after surgery.

The only way I could see someone faking the six months is by falsifying the documentation and that's fraud which is a serious crime. I would hope that's not what has happened.

My doctor had a thorough history of my decades long struggles with my weight (e.g. past significant loss via WW, followed by regain+, etc.). He had a good sense of all that I had and was currently trying to lose weight. He then provided a plan that made it possible to do the 6 months without making me crazy or broke.

I met with the nutritionist at his practice 1x. One co-pay.

I went to my doctor's office for monthly weigh-ins for 6 months. Most of those visits I did not see him, thus no co-pay. He treats many bariatric patients and has instructed his registration staff and medical assts. to register us w/o co-pay and just weigh us.

When I did have true visits, he always interviewed me about what I was doing, but I never provided "proof". Good luck to your friend!

I have not had my surgery yet, however with all the information I have read, people I have talked to, information sessions I have attended and my list could go on...WHY would anyone even consider this? I may have fudged a pound or two to myself, but visiting with my PCP told the truth, and we worked from there. If anyone is considering "faking" information, not only are they breaking the law, but they are walking the failure path. This surgery and me is more important that faking something to obtain a REAL goal.

I can't imagine how you can fake it. The insurance company wants to see that straight from the doctor (my doctor's office submitted all that stuff for me).

And they also worked with me on the payments. As long as you have insurance that will cover the surgery (which your surgeon's office will look into for you) I can't imagine what the problem would be.

And, there are going to be tons of other expenses anyhow for all the tests you have to get done before.

So I find it an odd query frankly.

It has to be verified by the physician that the patient met with the Dr every month for 6 months, without fail. So, no way to fake it. And why would your friend want to? It's really a part of the process that is "necessary", and truly, the wait seemed long, but it really wasn't. As I look back, I regret nothing. Me being a rule follower is something the Psych honed in on, and made me a perfect candidate for the surgery. A cheater will likely fail, just my 2 cents.

Thanks. His insurance is covering the surgery 100% (jealous). They said he only needs WE or Jenny Craig. I'll give him feed back. I told him it sounded dangerous.