Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Neuropathy numbness neurological complications after gastric sleeve.

I have Numbness in my body after gastric sleeve. My surgeon acts like he is baffled but I have found many medical journals referring to this complication. I am 3 months out and had vomiting and weakness. I couldn't hold down even Vitamins. Then I called my surgeon. There are no Bariatric surgeons where I li e so I had to travel the 6 hours to where my surgeon is. I was admitted for almost 2 weeks and given heparin shots and fluids. I got better with holding fluids down but the leg numbness started. I was realeased and went home. The numbness in my legs got worse. I bought a walker to walk. But still fell quite a few times. It got really bad. I called my surgeon he said I needed to see a neurologist. There is a 3 month wait to see one in my county. My surgeon told me to go back to the hospital where I got my surgery. Once I did the neurologist did a bunch of tests but said he came up with nothing. I never had any of these problems prior to surgery. I asked the neurosurgeon several questions. He refused to answer some of them and left the room and never came back before I was released. He basically said he didn't find anything out from the test. Some of the questions that I asked where 1) if I recently came into compliance with Vitamin intake. Would it show that I didn't Have vitamin difiecency. He said no. I also asked since I wasn't quite 3 months out would it be too early to diagnose certain neurological illness. He also answered no to this. I asked other questions some he didn't even answer. The whole conversation was very awkward. I left after this conversation. Upon returning home I got severe headaches from my spinal tap/ Lumbar puncture. So I got no answers from my surgeon and the neurosurgeon and I am in even more pain now. My numbness is getting worse. And I get headaches from the lumbar puncture when I sit up. I am not impressed with my surgeon or the neurosurgeon that I just saw. But I know if I go to the ER where I live there is nothing they can do for me since last time they gave me a reffferal. I honestly feel like I am going to die but there is nothing I can do. I am also worried about permenant damadge. Nobody can help me yet my symptoms keep worsening. Has anyone out there had neurological damadge from gastric sleeve? To me it seems like my surgeon is afraid of something like malpractice. He makes no connection with my surgery and these symptoms yet I can read medical articles about vitamin deficiency and neurological disorders. I would like to hear from anyone who has gone through this.

Edited by teecee

Not sure how recently you had the lumbar puncture, but if you have excruciating headaches when upright, it may be leaking. Sometimes the hole doesn't seal correctly and you leak spinal Fluid which leads to headache. I had to go to the ER for a "blood patch" which solved the problem immediately

Hoping you find a solution and can begin healing. This is quite scary to read as I go in for surgery tomorrow

Ugh, I'm so sorry you're going through this. In reading all the different studies and reports, it seems like Vitamin noncompliance or an inability to properly absorb is the main cause of peripheral neuropathy. How long have you missed your B Vitamin compliance, and have you tried to get B Vitamins through shots or sublingually to avoid malabsorption? I wish I had answers for you.

As for the headaches, while they are common after a lumbar puncture, if you are STILL having them days after, you need to get back to the hospital ASAP because you may have a leak that could lead to complications!

Edited by BarrySue

Have you heard of drop foot? I got it after my final procedure, google it, it might led you to the right answers