Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so my preop diet consists of full liquids for 1 week preop. But to keep the carbs below 40 a day. A can of Campbell's Soup has like 25g carbs. So I have 3 Protein Shakes, a can of soup, a couple sf jellos, some broth, and a Greek yogurt. Done. I'm so hungry I good eat part of my arm. I felt like I was going to float away yesterday w all the liquids and I'm only on day 2. Soooo, wonder why there is such a difference in everyone's preop diet? I would have consumed less carbs and less calories eating different things- like greens and skinless chicken breast. I feel bad for the people that need to do it for 2 weeks. I envy the people that get to have hard boiled eggs, and greens, etc. This preop diet is hard. I know why I need to do it and will do it. It's just super hard. :(

My doctor requires a 21 day pre-op diet for anyone over 300. That is honestly the part of having surgery that makes me the most nervous right now, though I have been told that once you are a few days into the pre-op diet it gets easier.

My doctor requires a 21 day pre-op diet for anyone over 300. That is honestly the part of having surgery that makes me the most nervous right now, though I have been told that once you are a few days into the pre-op diet it gets easier.

Omg 21 days! That's a lot! I shouldn't be complaining with 7 really. It is tuff though. Obviously I have a problem w food and hunger or I wouldn't be here lol

Me too! Pretty sad when the scariest part of surgery is having the willpower to get through the 21 day liquid diet beforehand because of just that very reason lol

Omg 21 days! That's a lot! I shouldn't be complaining with 7 really. It is tuff though. Obviously I have a problem w food and hunger or I wouldn't be here lol

Hang in there, pre-op diets are tough but so worth it. Plans vary from office to office and even between patients. It depends sometimes on the state of your liver. The more fatty the more at risk when they retract it for surgery. Think of all the pounds you will lose pre-op just gets you closer to goal. Good luck ladies, this too shall pass...then the post-op diet begins!!! lol

I can tell you that at week 11 post-op I barely remember the pre-op diet. Difficult as heck, but try not to dwell in the moment. Eye on the prize!

Okay so now I feel a little guilty that my pre-op diet isn't that bad... 2 weeks before surgery. He only wants me to lose 5-7 lbs pre-surgery so I won't go below my 40 BMI.

Breakfast and lunch - 2 high Protein, low carb shakes (min 20 grams Protein and 5 grams or less carb per serving).

dinner - 4-6 oz of skinless chicken or turkey; pork or lamb; fish or eggs. meats should be baked, broiled, grilled, roasted or braised (any way EXCEPT fried). Plus 1/2-1 cup non-starchy vegetables (green Beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers, spinach, kale, green peppers, or greens) or a salad of mixed greens (use the smallest amt of regular Salad Dressing -- non-fat dressing have more carbs).

OR 3 high protein meals (~ 4-6 oz of protein) per day.

Drink at least 64 oz of sugar, caffeine, and carbonation free fluids. Choices include broth, sf Jell-O, sf Popsicles, Crystal Lite, Diet Snapple, Water, propel (limit 1 per day), sf/caffeine free tea.

He gave me a list of shake products to choose from but when I ask him about 1 I already had that wasn't on the list, he said as long as it had 20 gr or more of protein and 5 or less gr of carbs, it is fine!!! His list named the product, said how much protein it had and even listed the average price and size it comes in. He also included a list of places to find the protein shakes!!

I am very pleased with Dr. Mailapur's instructions so far!!! I also received a ~ 80 pg guide with information for pre and post surgery, eating recommendation for post surgery, etc... Between now and the surgery I also have to complete a 6 hr. class that covers nutrition and pre-surgery information. Since I'm 6 hrs away from where I'm going to have my surgery, I'll have my class right before the surgery so I don't have to make a special trip for the class.

I haven't started the pre-op diet yet (as I don't want to lose too much) but I am NOT bingeing on stuff I won't be able to have soon... I'm ready to get going on this so I can be healthy again!! I'll try not to complain when I'm on it since some of you have it much tougher....

Soooo, wonder why there is such a difference in everyone's preop diet? :(

I truly don't understand why there are so many differences. My preop diet is one day. Full liquids, doesn't have to be clear.

I'm having more trouble with the fact that I've had to stop my daily anti-inflammatory since my surgery is in one week. My knees and feet are hurting me in a way they never have before.

Post-op is worse in the variations that different doctors and NUTs have:

1. coffee

2. NSAIDs

3. Alcohol

4. Water before/during meals

5. Ability to stretch sleeve

6. Carbonation

These are just a few of the various items that vary depending on who your medical team is. There are many more if you keep reading here.