Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you still Vomit if get the Flu?

I'm scheduled to be Banded on July 24, and I was wondering what will happen if I was to ever have the flu or morning sickness? Can I still vomit like normal? If so, will vomitting cause the band to slip?

Thanks for the insight.;)

I'm scheduled to be Banded on July 24, and I was wondering what will happen if I was to ever have the flu or morning sickness? Can I still vomit like normal? If so, will vomitting cause the band to slip?

Thanks for the insight.;)

Im curious about this as well. I know its not the best thing to do . But people do vomit. I have Migraines and I sometimes vomit from migraines.

My doc gave me plenty of phenegran . But sometimes you cant help it

Mindy

I know my doctor told me if I get the flu, call right away and they will unfill me so if I do vomit, it wont hurt the band. NOW that you asked the question though, I am wondering if this was forever or just for a certain period of time.

Hello:

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything - but maybe you should get flu shots! Tell your pcp's you have the band, and you may be considered high risk - if the flu shots are in short supply.

Now as far as morning sickness - I'd be the last one to say you won't vomit. Days I never long for - ever.

LOL..the flu is actually upper respiratory infection so to guard against actual "flu", the shot is not going to stop you from vomiting. Most people refer to the flu as upset stomach, so I usually do too. But "stomach viruses" might be a better way to say it...

I was told to call my doc immediately if I ever got a stomach virus. Same goes for morning sickness. Apparently, they will try an anti-emetic first, then unfill me if necessary. Everyone's surgeon is different.

I had the flu 10 days after my banding...it is recommended that you don't vomit because it could cause slippage, but it came on me so fast I had no chance to take meds to keep the nausea down. Dr. Ortiz recommends getting a prescription from your local doc to take just in case. I had no isses with slippage from it though -- went back to TJ for my first fill specifically because that worried me, but all was fine. I think it is repeated wretching and PBing that will cause you problems, not a one time illness.

Twigs

LOL..the flu is actually upper respiratory infection so to guard against actual "flu", the shot is not going to stop you from vomiting. Most people refer to the flu as upset stomach, so I usually do too. But "stomach viruses" might be a better way to say it...

This always confuses me. Flu IS an upper respiratory tract infection so I dont see what its got to do with vomiting. Stomach bugs make you vomit and give you diarrhoea, flu doesnt (unless you're one who pukes with a fever). In Australia anyway, there's no way a flu vaccination would prevent stomach bugs. They're two entirely different illnesses.

But the answer to whether or not you can vomit seems to be some people can and some cant. Getting unfilled can be a good idea, but these things always seem to strike in the middle of the night and such for us, I can bet I'd not get to my doc for an unfill.

The kids brought home gastro three days after I got home from hospital from being banded, I hotfooted it to the GP and got a script for an anti emetic to prevent nausea and vomiting. I got the bug, felt shocking - had the fever and chills and general malaise and nausea but no vomiting, it worked. I think its wise to always keep someting like this on hand.

Since then we've had a bug through the house four or five times - 3 kids = lots of poo and vomit. Sigh. But I'm ridiculous with it, theyre not allowed to touch me, lol, disposable gloves to clean everything up, and then dont touch the gloves, straight in the bin, bleach bleach bleach and disinfectant spray all over EVERYTHING they touch - taps, toilet, doorhandles, couches, all over the outside of the washing machine, etc etc, dont touch ANYTHING of theirs, clothing, bedlinen etc to wash without gloves and I have actually miraculously avoided what is normally such a contageous illness.

I was looking for this exact question....I had the stomach flu last weekend. I hadn't considered asking the doctor what to do if this ever happened, I didn't think of it! I had such terrible stomach cramps and nausea, all night. I wanted to vomit, but couldn't. I didn't call the doctor - my clinic is 2 1/2 hours away from my house. And I knew the local ER would have no idea what to do. So I suffered for the next day. NOW I know that I need to have a script ready for the nausea. I am seeing my doctor next week, and I know I don't need a fill, but I will get a script for medication.

I just figured that I lost extra weight, so it wasn't all bad!