Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to prepare for surgery day?

Hi everyone! My surgery is August 3rd and I'm just now starting my pre-op diet. I'm super excited but I'm also really, really scared. I want to be really prepared for my hospital stay and the few weeks after while I'm healing from the surgery. Does anyone have any advice on what I should bring to the hospital and what I should stock up on at home? Or generally what I should expect? Thank you so much!

At the hospital keep it minimal and comfortable, I would suggest warm ups, since I was always cold, lots of pain first day but very manageable with the meds also much better the second day if you remember this

"Walk walk walk......." It helps with the healing, and effects of gas, but mostly the nausea from the sedation, I found that everything I tried at the hospital was too sweet and I really didn't eat for 4 days, ice chips were my go to and very cold Water, when o got home I was very lethargic and had to push myself, I slept for on and off for the first two days but had no problems going up and down the stairs, I had to push myself to start being more active and the pain was very minimal, I had trouble with nausea on and off the first week, but that cleared up, I preferred Tomato Soup to the broth, and the broth cubes were lots better, I also stocked up on my Vitamins, Protein, and water, and I bought various "MIO" type water enhancers from Walmart, also Crystal Light, Tea, and Powerade Zeros, I would also say I wish I had learned to SIP early on, it was tough not chugging my drinks for awhile, buyvsome straws, that will teach you to sip, good luck and if you need anything inbox me here, I believe in paying it forward, and if you don't make my mistakes it will be lots more fun for you !!!!!!

Edited by laguerr13

I spent a few weeks preparing (my op is on 23/07/15) and bought books on being sleeved and read them cover to cover, Protein drinks for my pre op diet - tried a few and maybe I have been lucky but I liked them all! I have bought plates, cutlery, freezer storage sets, and gas strips, liquid Vitamins, sorted out my meds with the GP (Dr) and made sure I could have them in liquid form for 3-6 months. I have made broth and its now in the freezer in ice cube sized chunks. Today I picked up a couple of new nightdresses and underwear.

I have been told not to use straws as you end up sucking in air with them. However one thing I have found here is, everyone does things slightly different and what works for one might not for another. So read, study, chat and THEN make your own mind up for yourself. Good luck with everything and please let us know how you are doing along the way :D

Kate

I only needed my pajama pants (so my butt didn't hang out of my robe when I walked the halls) my slippers, and my phone.

Find a Protein shake you know you will like and stock up. Don't make the mistake of buying all different kinds and find out you hate most of them. I still have protien drinks in my pantry I couldn't stand almost a year later! What a waste.

I was just released from the hospital yesterday so..

Don't take a lot of stuff to the hospital you won't need it. I took my face wash and toner because I am really serious about my skin care. I also took lip balm. Those were the only things I used that I brought, besides insurance card and drivers license, cell phone, kindle. I never used my kindle, if I was awake I was either walking or using my breathing thing. They gave me minty swabs for my mouth. You don't need a robe, they will give you 2 gowns.

Get your Vitamins ahead of time and all of your Protein. I am using the Vitamins recommended by my doctor and they arrived the day before my surgery. I am using watery like Proteins until I see the doctor next week. Syntrax nectar, 1St Phorm, and an unflavored Protein to add to broth. Also find broths that you like, you stock up on them. You will get tired of sweet. Everything I am drinking right now has the consistency of Water so it is easy to get down. I have no hunger so there is no reason to go with anything heavier. Having nice light Proteins will make it a lot easier to get your protein in.

I don't know if you are an active person now or not, but start walking and being active before surgery. When you get out of surgery and get to your room. Walk as soon as possible. It will hurt at first but you will feel better. It helps move the gas. Walk early walk often, you will feel better.

§ Start getting in better shape. I walked, lifted, and did as much as I could 5 times a week getting ready for surgery.

§ Started practicing eating slower for lunch.

§ Watched many videos, talked to people who had been through it.

§ Oh, but best work was preparing for the mental changes with my therapist and worked through this book: http://www.amazon.co...=bariatric book

§ I drank a great deal of alcohol so I weaned myself off and slowly cut the caffeine.

§ Followed the pre-op diet to the letter

§ Shopped two weeks before surgery for the foods I would need for the first two weeks.

§ Revised my will and power of attorney just in case something went wrong

§ Tried pureed meal ideas and Protein drinks before surgery so I had some meal plans.

Things I took that I liked: Laptop, earbuds, slip on shoes, pants with elastic, iPod with audio books, shorts. Oh, gas-x dissolving strips - take those.

Wish I had brought my favorite Isopure drinks, but found a GNC near the hospital. Keep the bag light.

Edited by OKCPirate

Get the things you will need for the first couple weeks ready. Have on hand what you are allowed to consume per your plan.

I only took my ID, insurance card, cell phone and a pillow for the ride home. I wore home what I wore to the hospital.

Clean up around home and get any laundry done immediately prior to your surgery. Hard to relax when you are staring at things that need to be done.

Good luck!

Wow everyone, thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice, especially bringing pants to the hospital because I would not have thought to do that! I really appreciate everyone's support. I had no idea that forums like this even existed, so it's incredibly comforting to know that there are people sharing this same experience. Thank you!!