Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Barrett's Esophagus and GERD After Surgery

Hi All,

I have seen some people with these conditions before surgery, and know that developing more acid reflux after surgery is common, but has anyone developed serious GERD and Barrett's Esophagus? Going into the surgery I knew I had very minor GERD, but my doctor wasn't concerned. I'm 11 months out and am scared that it has changed this rapidly. I just had an endoscopy done today and found out the results, and am having them sent over to my surgeon (I currently live out of the country). Any stories or experiences in the meantime are welcome!

My GERD is a little worse post-op (I'm 11 months out). But I'm managing it well so far through diet and use of Ranitidine.

I did aggravate it badly a few weeks ago when I got stuck on a long road trip (as a passenger) without any Water. I drank about 20 ounces of (flat) diet Coke and yuck! Never mind about the carbonation -- the soda's innate acidity really screwed me up for a week. Won't do that again.

Live and learn. ;)

Hi All,

I have seen some people with these conditions before surgery, and know that developing more acid reflux after surgery is common, but has anyone developed serious GERD and Barrett's Esophagus? Going into the surgery I knew I had very minor GERD, but my doctor wasn't concerned. I'm 11 months out and am scared that it has changed this rapidly. I just had an endoscopy done today and found out the results, and am having them sent over to my surgeon (I currently live out of the country). Any stories or experiences in the meantime are welcome!

Have you had your symptoms worsen? Were you able to treat the gerd at all with meds?

My GERD is a little worse post-op (I'm 11 months out). But I'm managing it well so far through diet and use of Ranitidine.

I did aggravate it badly a few weeks ago when I got stuck on a long road trip (as a passenger) without any Water. I drank about 20 ounces of (flat) diet Coke and yuck! Never mind about the carbonation -- the soda's innate acidity really screwed me up for a week. Won't do that again.

Live and learn. ;)

I actually hadn't really realized that my GERD was so bad- I never really had it before surgery and afterward was on the prescription Prilosec for a few months. Pretty much since surgery I have a really loud kind of painful gurgle noises and I assumed it was just part of the process. But I got worried when recently it started happening when I wasn't eating or drinking. It really didn't feel like typical acid reflux but I wanted to be safe so I had it tested.

He showed me the pictures and you can see that the inside of my esophagus is really burned and he showed me where the Barrett's has developed. He also showed me three polyps that he biopsied. I'm just concerned because if I'm having these problems in such a short period of time, what does that say for the long run? I also have no idea why polyps would have formed. Ah!

Just as a brief update (in case this is relevant to anyone), my surgeon is urging me to consider a revision to gastric bypass. Right now I'm just sort of in a haze and haven't wrapped my mind over what it would be like to go through this whole process again. I have a family friend who is dying of Esophageal cancer at the moment, and it's horrific, so I'm taking my doctor's recommendation pretty seriously. Life's a rollercoaster I tell you!