Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain / metabolism changes

Hi all,

I'm a newbie... to the forum, not the situation. I had my surgery early 1996, dropped about 75 lbs initially, rebounded back about +10 lbs, and stayed there for about 12 years. Then all hell broke loose. I had an eye infection that sequestered me to a blackened room, in extreme pain for nearly a month... That's when my metabolism ceased to exsist it seems. I was in bed, not moving, so not burning calories, not burning calories, so had no energy or appetite, no appetite so not consuming any calories for energy ... etc etc, you get the picture. Since then, I have been steadily gaining weight (and also crested the dreaded 40 year-old mark). I've put on about 40 pounds and can't seem to shake it. I'm really not sure I know how to be honest. My surgery dropped the weight 'for me' I guess. I eat very little (my kids even mention it), and still hang on to the weight. I feel like the surgery hyjacked my metabolism to begin with... like my body adjusted to surviving on its surgery-given food allotment... then with the illness and age on top of it, it feels hopeless. Any suggestions?

Welcome!! Thanks for giving so much info!! Have you talked to your nutritionist or dr?

It's hard to say what will kick start your loss again as every body is different. Maybe try Protein Shakes again for a bit (3-5 days). Keep us posted and good luck!

First did you have a band, a sleeve, or RNY? Often time the sleeve stretched out to much or it could be your body has set itself into survival mode because it is not getting enough food/ nutrients. It sounds like your body needs a kick start. I agree go back to drinking 8 oz Protein Shakes for a week, but I Would only do 2 shakes and for your third meal I Would consume 2oz of tuna, chicken, or 2 hard boiled eggs no yolk and make sure you are taking your Vitamins and see if it jump starts you. If not I Would contact your surgeons office.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Actually, I was just thinking about doing the 2 shakes a day thing. Tomorrow morning, gonna start switching it up, and we'll see how that goes. Oh ... and it was a RNY surgery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
    • Doctor-Links

hgh kaufen  in unserer Online-Apotheke  
      Menschliches Wachstumshormon (HGH) ist ein kleines Protein, das in einem Teil des Gehirns, der Hypophyse, produziert wird. Es wandert in Ihrem Blutkreislauf durch Ihren ganzen Körper, um Ihren Körper wachsen zu lassen.
      · 0 replies
    • juliie

good morning all ,my np sent all my cleared requirements to my insurance for approval yesterday, so now just waiting for an approval and surgery date  
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Lost my Pup last month and struggled really hard for that first month. Stopped tracking intake and slid into old habits here and there. Also quit working out. Can't walk in the neighborhood because of all of the memories we shared. Losing my Pup is the most heartbreaking thing I've ever been through. My Pup was my world 💔
      Talked to my doc during my one year followup and they were not worried about my current status. They know, and I know, that I will get back on track.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches