Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birthday during week 3 post-op...help!

It's my 25th birthday this wednesday and the first day I can have purees. I am very excited to have a scrambled egg for my birthday Breakfast, but I am not sure what to do for dinner/celebration. I don't want to go out to a meal and have a Soup or something puree while everyone else eats apps, main, dessert etc. If i had to, I know I could make it through but I dont want to put myself in that scenario.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe avoid the celebration and just go see Magic Mike or something fun that will get me out of the house but wont necessarily be centered around food.< /p>

Has anyone else dealt with this so early in the post op phase?

Yes yes yes! It's really kind of depressing but I wud do exactly your second scenario. I brought the best yogurt I could find and stuffed it in my purse lol when I went to the movies and bought a Water. That really helped...I have had to deal with about 5 big celebrations so far so it's been difficult????

That's what I did..... 1 week after surgery I had an important friend's birthday celebration and I had coordinated the event so i had to attend. Not everyone in the group knew about my surgery, only a couple of my closest friends knew. So we opted to go to a Comedy Club instead of a big dinner with drinks and Desserts. It worked out perfectly...... be creative. Don't put yourself in a situation to fail.

My surgery was right before Thanksgiving and Holiday events. I am a big fan of Maryland crab Soup so would have that or some other soup I enjoy and partake in the festivities. It was a lot of fun and food was not at the center. Hope you have a great birthday!

It's hard to get used to at first, but you are going to get to a point where food will not be the focus of every celebration and holiday. It's more about enjoying the moments and the company you're with. You learn to find other ways of celebrating that don't center around just food. May as well start now.

I think the Magic Mike movie night idea sounds just great! I'm old enough to be your mom, but can I go??

I might be old, but I'm not dead.

Thank you all for the support/suggestions! I know food should no longer be the center of celebrations, but making the transition is difficult - especially when it is still the center for everyone else. Movie night here I come :)

I am 3.5 weeks post op and my birthday was July 3rd. My family and friends all joined me at the drive-in movie theater that night. People brought their own food, and I happily watched Terminator and San Andreas with my turkey and cheese roll ups. Everyone had a great time.

Edited by got2bslim4me

I had my 10 year wedding anniversary 1 week after surgery, and was a little bummed, but I made it fun. I had chicken tortilla Soup at a Mexican restaurant (my hubs fav) and only ate the broth, and really enjoyed it, oddly enough! It will soon get so much easier. I am 2 1/2 months post op and things are really getting better! So happy with the weight loss, that everything else is minor! We are now trying to find a weekend to get away to actually enjoy our 10 yr anniversary soon.

Good luck and Happy Birthday!!

@@remzel

Yes, it is very difficult. But you'll get there.

That's why every time I hear someone say we "took the easy way out" I want to punch them in the face.