Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys, my name is Nichole and I live up in Northern Arizona up on the rez. I'm getting my band done on July 9th and am getting excited. :whoo:

I'm keeping a blog for myself at ngorman1025.blogspot.com and if you want to check it out, you are more than welcome!!

Dr DeBarros is doing my surgery and I was lucky enough to have my insurance cover 100% (minus co-pays) of the surgery. They will also cover all of my band fills.

I've had some problems with some people I have told about this surgery. Mostly my parents and a few friends. I'm doing this for myself and my health first and all the other good things after that. When I told my mom I was thinking about having it done, she asked me if my husband was making me do this. With her responding like that, it's really made me not want to tell her anything that's going on. Have any of you had problems with your family/friends accepting that you are doing this?

I'm also wondering how you guys did on your 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. I'm on day 3 and I'm feeling like I'm always hungry even when I'm drinking the Protein shakes.

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks,

~Nichole

So far, I have not had any negative reactions - but I have only told my family (who are all very supportive) and a few friends. But I worried about that a lot when I made the decision to do this. What I would say to those who think this is cheating or the easy way out is this: "this is not easy, it is probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do. The surgery alone will NOT help me if I don't help myself. The surgery is a tool that will help me achieve my goals - just like this computer is a tool that enables me to communicate with others."

I was banded on May 14 - I started the process on March 23. My insurance refused to help, so I paid for it myself. You are fortunate your insurance is helping you.

I really don't remember being hungry or having any problems during the 2 week liquid diet. I do remember that, although I was not hungry, I was also not satisfied - I wanted solid food in my mouth. But it went so fast, and here it is now 7 weeks post surgery!

I am doing great - can eat (small meals - several times a day), and fit into my pants better. I can even sit comfortably (almost) in some chairs. I am flying to Portland in about a month - we'll see if I still need the seat belt extender! I have a long way to go -- but it has been a good start.

Good luck to you as you get ready for July 9.

I haven't gotten mine done yet still working on getting the money, but I too have heard the old "Oh that's the easy way out" Or if it restricts you from eating then why not just eat less. That's what my husband keeps saying. Then when I was upset because we can't find the money his "solution" was lets diet together. Well that kind of made mad because I have been there done that a thousand times. He has NEVER been on a diet, but sure could stand to loose a few pounds.

I don't plan on anyone knowing (if I ever get to have it done) except my mom, husband, and my best friend. That is it!!

Hey Everyone!

I hear ya. At first my plan wasn't to tell anyone but immediate family, either. Of course my husband knew, but besides that I only told my parents. Well, found out later that my siblings knew.... and if they knew.... well, soon everyone would know. So, now I'm just open about it because I figure most people know anyway. Most people have been supportive. A lot of people asking a lot of questions. But there have also been a few less than helpful comments along the way.

One person made the comment to me that starving myself wasn't a healthy way to lose weight. Of course, I made the comment that I wasn't starving and that the point was I wouldn't get hungry and I could eat less. Then that person said in their opinion that it was starving yourself and just disguising the body's natural desire to eat. So, in essence she was saying I was starving myself but just didn't know it.

Told my mother-in-law last week. We are going on vacation to visit her in a few days and I knew at this point I knew I couldn't hide it from her. I figured it best to come clean so I don't offend her when I don't eat her cooking! She said, "Oh, I've heard of that. What happens when they blow you up so tight you burst?" , and then started laughing. Never once did she ask how the surgery went. Oh, well. You can't live your life by what others think or how they behave. I know this was the best decision for me.

Nichole,

The two week pre-op diet was tough. Hang in there, it does get better. Mike told me I could have boiled egg whites or skinless chicken breast if I needed something to eat. However, I found if I ate anything, it made it more difficult and I just wanted to eat more. After about 3-4 days it became pretty much routine. Some days were better than others, that's for sure. Just remember to keep you eye on the prize (a healthier you!) We've all been through it. I know I can sympathize!

JMS,

Are you able to eat OK now after your fill? Do you seem to be having any issues? Do you feel restricted enough?

Phoenixwife,

I am lucky in that my husband has always been completely supportive of me and the lap-band. However, I still don't think he has much comprehension of how difficult a process this really has been (and continues to be). He's the kind of guy who cuts out Coke for a couple of weeks and loses 40 pounds. He's also never had a surgery. I love him and I am so proud he is my husband, but it does help to have this community of people to turn to for support. Those who don't struggle with weight issues or who are not familiar with the lap-band just don't have the same perspective. And, frankly, this has been a difficult decision to make. Surgery has been emotionally, physically, and financially draining, and everyday is a major life change for me. It's comforting to know I can talk to others who are (or have been) in my situation and can understand what I'm going through.

I can eat OK - as long as I remember to chew, chew, chew. And not eat fast. A hardboiled egg, sliced, takes about 15 minutes. Even a carton of yogurt takes about 20 minutes - if I try to go too fast, it backs up. So, I slow down, chew a lot and eat frequently. I do feel the restriction when my pouch is full -- and I am tempted to drink Water to wash everything down, but that will just defeat the purpose of the pouch -- so I wait and drink Water about 45 minutes after I eat.

I find that I get hungry about every 2 hours during the day, but can take care of that with a string cheese, or 1/2 carton of yogurt. It is not easy getting used to this eating cycle, good thing I practiced it before surgery for a month! Only then I ate MORE in each of my 5-6 times a day. :omg:

Hey gang! This is the first time I've had to check-in since I've been on vacation. So far, things are going pretty well. I am actually proud I've been eating pretty well. (Except for the 4th. Well, one bad day can be expected, right? I had some fruit salad that I know was full of sugar and a little piece of cake. Oh, and today I had a margarita! :))

I can tell that my swelling has gone down. I don't feel like I have much restriction. I do find that I have to eat every few hours or I am starving!

V, how's your restriction after your fill? Did I read somewhere you ate steak and corn on the cob? Seriously? Goodness, girl, I'm still shying away from hamburger meat! I don't think I'd even attempt a steak! I had a salad the other day from Subway that had sliced roast beef on it and I had to pick off the roast beef. It was too chewy and tough. The chicken, ham, and turkey went down fine, though.

Oh.... I have a happy story. I went to one of my favorite stores (that we don't have in AZ) to buy some clothes. I bought some shorts in a size smaller than I thought I needed in hopes they would be motivation to keep doing well. (Three sizes smaller than when I started this process.) Guess what? When I got back I tried them on and they fit! I couldn't believe it! I was soooo excited! I have no idea what my weight is doing. I haven't weighed myself since being on vacation.

V... when are you leaving for vacation? I hope you have a great time in San Diego.

I'm going to the lake all next week so I won't be able to check in. I hope everyone is doing well. I should be able to check in again tonight or tomorrow. I hope everyone is doing well!

Hey Shauna! I miss you! My fill left me with no restriction, as a matter of fact I called on Thursday and scheduled another fill for next Thursday!

We had a bit of an emergency in Rick's family. (everyone is fine) But the vacation is off. It is a long story I will try and find some time to e-mail you personally. So I have the week off and we will be back and forth to Prescott.

I'm glad you are having a great time. You should come back all skinny and tan! I'm thrilled about the shorts!! How fun!

I met NewLife (Karen) this morning for Breakfast and she brought a friend with her. We had a great time and laughed a lot. We met on the West side and I sure wish you had been here. I still have not heard anything from Mike. I hope he is back from his vacation Monday. If I don't hear anything by the time I see them on Thursday I'm going to give them a piece of my mind.

Anway, I just came in from the pool and I need to get out of this suite.. I hope all of you are doing well!

OK, I'm back from my vacation. Where did everybody go?

V.... Sorry to hear about the emergency in your family. I hope everyone is safe and well. Did you get your fill on Thursday? How is your restriction now? How cool you and Karen got to have Breakfast together. I am so jealous. I would have loved to have been there.

Nichole.... How are you doing? Did the surgery go well? It's been a week, how are you feeling? I remembered you last Monday!

I am down another 8 pounds after my two week vacation. Isn't that exciting? Who would have thought I could go on vacation and actually lose weight, instead of gaining? Here's the cool part..... I am now down 50 pounds since my first weight-in. Woo-hoo! :clap2:

I think it may be time for a fill. I am starving all of the time. I'm still good about eating only small amounts, but then I'm sooo hungry an hour or two later. And when I get hungry, I tend to want to eat the naughty stuff, you know? I'm a sucker for sweets. I'm going to wait and see how I do this week now that I'm back home and back to my regular routine. In some respects, I think it may have been a little easier on vacation because I had all of the extended family microscoping everything I ate plus I was just busy and on the go all of the time. Does that make sense to anyone? Anyway, I'll just see how I do this week and if I need to, I'll call next Monday for a fill appt. I know one thing, though. It sucks being too restricted. I don't want to go through that again.

Please give an update and let me know how ya'll are doing!

I can't believe that a week has passed since my surgery. It's been going great and the recovery is going very well. My incisions do itch, but that's a normal part of recovery. :) I've also lost 25 pounds since the beginning of June, so that's been the most fun to see. My clothes are already starting to get looser. But for now, they still fit me in the waist so they'll have to do. I haven't tried on jeans yet, but I'm sure that they will fit well too. :rolleyes: A couple of my incisions are right where my jeans will sit so I'm waiting for those to heal more before I attempt those.

Hey everyone!! Where has everyone been? I've missed chatting with you all!! :car:

So I drove to Albuquerque yesterday afternoon (2 1/2 hours away) to fly to Phoenix and meet my hubby there. I had my first post op appointment today and it went great. My surgeons partner actually did the appointment, but I ran into my surgeon in the hallway on the way out. He looked at me and said he could see it in my face.

I was super excited because I finally broke the 240 mark, just barely, but I'm under that weight finally. I have just been elated all day because of that. I was feeling down after not losing anything for the last week and a half, but I did this morning, so that's the one that counts. That makes it 29 pounds for me since June 7th. :)

I have the new small AP band with the low profile port. I still have some pain in my port, but it's more of an annoyance than anything. And it mostly comes when I've been sleeping on my stomach. My Dr said this was normal and it will probably be like that for 6-8 weeks.

The other thing I learned from the dietitian today is even if I am eating what I'm supposed to every day and working out that until I get my first fill in 4 more weeks(although it will actually be my 2nd fill since they put a fill in these new bands during surgery), I probably won't lose anything. So for those of you in the same boat I am, this explains it. It's not that you are eating too much, it's just that the restriction we may ultimately need is not there.

Anyways, one more good thing that happened was on the plane yesterday. I still felt big, but when I put the seatbelt on, I almost jumped back up. I've normally had maybe an extra inch or so on the belt and never pulled it to tighten it because it would make it to tight. However, last night, I had about 8 inches on the seatbelt. I was so excited, and it's really helped my mood!!

Nichole,

Hi, my name is Julie and I'm scheduled for my surgury on 8/7 preop is 7/30 and I'm on my 5th day of liquid, which I've been sick for 3 of the 5 days so it hasn't been so bad yet. I like how much information you give into your process, and my mom actually lives up in Ft. Defiance also and works at the clinic in Saunders, she is a nurse practioner there. She is supporting my fully on this procedure and so is my husband. But I love to hear more about your recovery and your journey through this new life. Hope all is going well for you.

Julie

Hey, guys! It's been a while. I figured it was time for an update. How is everyone? (and where did everybody go?)

Nichole,

So glad to hear you are doing well! Isn't that exciting about the seatbelt? I can totally relate. I haven't flown yet since my surgery, but I can't wait just so I can prove to myself I can get the seatbelt on! :) Do you have a date for your fill yet?

Julie,

Congrats on your date! It is going to go by quickly. You are so close! How's the pre-op diet coming along? I'm hoping you are not still sick!

OK everybody. I had my first fill today. Yay! I have to say I was a little nervous but it went great. Dr. DeBarros is GREAT and I really appreciate that he actually spends time with you at your appointmements. (And, by the way, he's looking really good, too!) And, here's the best part..... 52 pounds gone since my first weigh-in. :biggrin1:

Shauna,

Congrats on the weightloss that is awesome! I'm feeling much better, down to the wire, schedule for 8/6 at 12:30pm. The pre-op diet is going good, I'm actually finding myself not hungary and forcing my self to do the Protein Shakes. I lost 13lbs from starting it on the 23rd to this past monday, when I went in and saw Dr. DeBarros, so I was shock, I hope I can drop of few more. I would love to hear how your recovery was and any suggestions you might have. I love to hear other peoples sucesses, so keep me posted.

Take care,

Julie

Julie,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Isn't it exciting you already lost 13 pounds so quickly? I lost 15 pounds during my pre-op diet; most of that was during the first week.

My recovery went well. I have to say, though, that I was a little surprised at how long the initial recovery took. I had read so many stories about how people went back to work within a day, left the hospital after an hour, etc. etc. etc. that I thought it was going to be a cake-walk. Don't get me wrong-- I suppose in the grand scheme of things it probably is a fairly easy surgery. It's just that I wasn't doing cartwheels on day 2. it took me about 2 full weeks to be able to sleep in my bed comforatably. It also took about two weeks to be able to sit upright at a computer screen for more than just a few minutes at a time. The area where my port is was really sore for those first few weeks. But now, nine weeks out, I feel like a completely new person and no pain whatsoever. Thank goodness.

Oh, here's one I didn't expect: Don't be surprised if you come home from the hospital looking 8 months pregnant and weighing 10 pounds more than when you went in. I was bloated and swollen for quite a while.

Suggestions:

*Buy some liquid tylenol and have it on hand before you get home from the hospital. After the first day or two, you probably won't need the strong pain killer but will probably want something. At least, that is how I felt.

*A heating pad could help w/ soreness and gas pains

*Keep a pillow in the car for the drive home and keep one near the first few days after surgery. If you have to cough or sneeze, it really helps to hold it against your abdomen.

*Some slip-on shoes or slippers for the hospital. You need to get up and walk but probably will be unable to bend over to tie shoes or put on socks.

I hope this helps. If I think of anything else, I'll keep you posted.

Hi Nichole! Your post really caught my attention because I'm in rez land, too! Well, not technically, I'm in Page, but we're surrounded by rez. Where are you? I'm loving reading your blog and progress, I'm still at the very beginning stages :wacko: