Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having gone through an extended approval process myself (took a year),and now just weeks away from surgery, my biggest hope is that someday there will be a standardization of the hoops wls candidates have to undergo.

They are so vastly different and confusing now, with no two alike, that I'm sure there are some people who just end up giving up. And that is so sad.

There has only been one other person I've read about having a one year "hoop" on this board! I think there should be one set standard!!!! A year is a long time---if it is medically necessary, provide the required info and keep going! I asked my "coach" provided/required by my insurance, "how many people have life changing weight loss after having 20-30 minute phone conferences once a month for 12 months AND no longer need the surgery?" She referred me to BCBS. ????

Why would she refer you to bcbs? I'm sorry I'm a little dense right now from a hard day at work and trying to get used to my new eating plan.

I had to wait also, BC/BS of IL. It was very frustrating because I only lost 5#'in that time and my pcp who was monitoring me was frustrated with me too. She said every time, "why aren't you losing weight?" I finally told her if I COULD lose weight on my own, I WOULD have lost weight already! She finally seemed to understand and became more supportive! Hopefully someday people won't have to go,through these hoops for WLS. No one makes you me go through psychologists or anyone for a hysterectomy, liposuction or a face lift.

It's MY body, I pay my premiums on time, and a six month wait was ridiculous!

Having gone through an extended approval process myself (took a year),and now just weeks away from surgery, my biggest hope is that someday there will be a standardization of the hoops wls candidates have to undergo.

They are so vastly different and confusing now, with no two alike, that I'm sure there are some people who just end up giving up. And that is so sad.

There has only been one other person I've read about having a one year "hoop" on this board! I think there should be one set standard!!!! A year is a long time---if it is medically necessary, provide the required info and keep going! I asked my "coach" provided/required by my insurance, "how many people have life changing weight loss after having 20-30 minute phone conferences once a month for 12 months AND no longer need the surgery?" She referred me to BCBS. ????
Why would she refer you to bcbs? I'm sorry I'm a little dense right now from a hard day at work and trying to get used to my new eating plan.

She is contracted by BC/BS---she didn't have the stats I guess. However, the MD office told me no one ever finishes the program!

Wow. I'm curious to find out how many people actually give up. It seems that those of us who are really motivated have found this site and keep doing research and get support from each others. I can't imagine how you could stay motivated on this long journey without this support! In one respect I can see why the insurance companies make us wait- it really gives you time to understand what you are doing and make changes. On the other hand, I think have gotten so much out of this forum than I have at my local NUT visits and program meetings. Thanks you, thank you, thank you!

Interesting thing.... I started getting dizzy over the weekend. I went to see my primary doctor yesterday and my blood pressure was 93/63. She was shocked that I had already lost 40 pounds and told me I should go off BP meds. I told her I couldn't because my insurance has a 50BMI without comorbidity and 35BMI with to qualify for surgery. If I went off meds I would not qualify. (This is crazy because I started at like 52BMI!) My last NUT appointment is Aug 19th and then all my prerequisites are over and I can get approval. I might have to stop losing weight for the next month....

50 BMI without a comorbidity is so ridiculously high. The majority I've seen is 40 BMI without. That is such a shame that you have to stay on the BP meds you no longer need just to qualify.

Mine is 40 without. I never would have qualified otherwise. It's heartbreaking when we're all trying so hard to get healthy, after trying and failing at every other option, before even considering surgery.

I'm glad that you're almost there. Congrats and good luck!

I had an appt for weigh in with Dr. She said the dr would like me to lose 7 lbs. I had already lost 4. She said if you lose 30 lbs you may not qualify anymore. So I stopped dieting. Now I feel like garbage. Next test is endoscopy on July 30 and then another dr weigh in again in August. I will get surgery date then. Looks like it may be November. Sorry bcbs I'm not giving up! I have a 46 BMI with comorbidies. I can't wait to do this and get my life back.