Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had my mind made up to have the gelastic sleeve surgery even spoke with my mom when I was back home a few weekends ago then yesterday and today we had another conversation she said she woke up in the night sick that I was going to have the surgery done ... So I asked her if I have the surgery done in the United States when she feel the same way and she said yes .... Now today I'm even questioning myself have I done everything to try to lose weight I haven't dieted in over two years .... I too have been a yo-yo dieter ..... I know the gastric sleeve is a tool to help you in losing weight .... Then my best friend said to me you're healthy you have no problems with blood pressure high cholesterol why do you want to add problems to yourself by having the surgery done .... Not sure if I should give this a go around on my own and try to lose some weight and see what happens I know at the end of the day it's all about me and what I want to do for me ..... How many of you have questions and yes and no have the surgery not have the surgery I know my family will support me in my decision my brother told me he'd pay for a month of weight loss anywhere I wanted to go that's sweet however we know that's not the answer .... Help feeling discouraged ....

I can empathize with your difficulty deciding if it's right for you. I considered the surgery years ago and then decided against it. I lost 80lbs on my own and then gain it back plus more. I always lost and gained back but the 80lbs was the most I have ever lost. Yo-yo dieting is very common among those who are overweight and can also be rough on the body. At 31 and 371lbs I decided I needed help and that if I could combine the surgery tool with my own ability to lose that I could do it once and for all. Though I don't have any health issues, I knew it was only a matter of time and I didn't want to wait until they came.... I was also tired of living life from the sidelines... watching people travel and do things I wish I could do.... or wish I didn't feel so uncomfortable doing. That is how I came to the ultimate decision that this was right for me.

If you have done your research on the surgery the surgeon and the facility and u are comfortable with it all do it if u want to no one can understand if they haven't been through this they don't have to live with being overweight and all that comes with it if u don't have health issues now that's wonderful however that could change and sometimes health issues aren't reversible even if u lose weight sometimes when the damage is done your stuck with it so ultimately you have to decide if others opinion or judgements are going to keep you from doing what u feel u need to do for yourself keep in mind you don't have to justify or explain this personal decision to anyone

How sweet of both of you... I have lost the same 40 pounds several times never getting under 200 ... I know this would be the push I need to help me get under 200 and loose down even more ..... I was going to put down the deposit which locks me in on the lower price for a year and I'm not even concerned about the extra 250+ dollars ..... I just think I still need to do some homework I was shooting for October midmonth .....so...

Ultimately the decision is yours to make but my only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. You are right it is ONLY a tool but for me it is a necessary tool. I have lost and plateaued over and over getting nowhere. For me this may be my only chance of succeeding and I for one have taken it.

Good luck with whatever you decide...it will be what is right for you.

Only your vote qualifies for that ultimate "yes" or "no" choice. And it's true you can be a healthy fat person, but not forever.

For me, my quality of life crossed over into unacceptable not long after I turned 50. That's when my body gave up and started showing its displeasure in ways I could no longer ignore. My joints hurt from morning to night with no reprieve. I'm having difficulty climbing the stairs in my home, and have to bite my lip to stop myself from crying out every time I have to rise from my desk at work. I ache just turning over in bed at night.

That's not living.

My body decided for me and I've never wavered from that decision once. My surgery will be on 07/29, and I can't wait! You have to be sure, there is no middle ground on this one.

You and your body have some serious discussions ahead of you. I'd listen with an opened mind if I were you.

Edited by The Candidate