Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously thinking of the lap band

I know this forum is for "post-operation" lap band patients but who better to ask then someone who has already had the surgery. I am seriously thinking about having the surgery for health reasons. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes. I have already met with the doctor, psychologist and nutritionist and am waiting to hear back from the insurance company. I have about 80 lbs to lose and just can't seem to stay interested in a "diet" for a long period of time. I love food, as I'm sure that a lot of you do and am afraid that I will regret the surgery if I am not successful with it or can't eat or drink the things that I eat now. I realize that this is the way that I should be eating anyway but I don't trust myself to stick to it. Has anyone else had these reservations? I know that deep down, this is the right thing for me to do but it is hard to be motivated after failing so many times. I have read some great success stories but have also read a few "bad experience" stories which scare me as well. Does anyone have an opinion or advice that they can share with me?

@@buzzly36 Your in the right place to ask lots of questions and get lots of answers as well as lots and lots of opinions. As with any surgery there are those that have complications and those that have bad experiences.

You will also find many people who have had no complications and amazing experiences. It is a daunting process thinking about surgery and if it's right for you. I know when I was first deciding on what to do, even at more than 100 pounds over weight, I still didn't think I needed to be SO drastic as to have surgery. I thought I could do this myself with some discipline a good diet plan and resolve. I dropped about 40 pounds and then picked it up again months later with about 20 more to spare.

I have lost and gained weight so many times I finally resolved that I needed the intervention that having weight loss surgery would give me.

I have been banded for 2+ years. I have not yet met my "goal" weight and I am one who has had a few medical complications along the way, but I will tell you this. I do not regret the surgery, nor am I disappointed in the surgery. I work at it every day, and the results are there. I am not looking to shed weight over night, and I enjoy socializing and eating foods with friends and family as well. I make modifications to those foods, and there are some things that I can not eat, but I also find that I don't really want to eat them so it's nothing I miss.

It is a life style change and if your not ready for it, the learning curve can be larger. I love being banded because it fits my life style. I am able to modify as I have needed for medical reasons along the way and I would not have been able to do that with any of the other surgeries.

My husband is also banded and that was the best choice for him for similar reasons. We are both very active and losing weight consistently, and more to the point have not gained back ANY of the weight we have lost as was always my failure in the past.

So my best advice to you is do your research. Look into all the surgeries, meet with Dr.'s and surgeons. Go to the free seminars and then with the help of your Dr. and medical team decide what is best for you.

hi i had my band fitted five years ago and was very happy with it for the first 3 years 10 months but i found out that soothing was wrong and the tube had come out of the port making the band usless. i was heart broken as i had done so well lost 4st 3lb taking me down to about 9st 10. i am now a year later still without my band. i got no help off the nhs and i thought i could control the weight myself. however since then i have put on nearly two stone but i am now considering having port replacement surgery and it will cost 2000 pounds on top of the 6000 the operation cost in the first place. i still don't know what to do as there is no garentee that it wont happen again and it is only covered for 28 days. its not as easy as people think it is just a tool to help you but if you like chocolate or alcohol these things will still make you fat. drink is my biggest problem its full off sugar. however on a plus side once you do see the weight come off and the comments you get are far more rewarding than food. let me know how you get on. regards tracy

Thank you for responding lisacaron and searock6tracy. I have read many of these forums but for some reason it is nice to know these your words are directed right to me. I know I have a long journey ahead of me and I know there can be some set backs but this is something that I must do. I just can't seem to do it on my own. I will continue to read, research and read more about this and make up my mind. This is the first time I have posted on here so thanks for listening/responding. It is encouraging to know there are people out there that I can discuss this subject with. :)

Many (most) of us are here because we could not successfully lose weight AND KEEP it off.

It is a personal choice to change your eating habits with WLS but so many of us are thankful!

I spent 50 years above my ideal weight. About 10 of those obese, before I knew I did not want to have the next chapter if my life involved with negative internal dialogue and failure on my weight control.

Research all avenues and chat with those that have gone before you

And best of luck... It is easier once you commit in my opinion.

I don't know if I would have believed that 8 years ago... We do change!

Hi Buzzly,

I too ask myself those same questions, I love food so much I'm emotionally attached to eating during every emotional phase of my life the the thought of being unsuccessful would make me feel just terrible

I'm going private and have scheduled my surgery for July 25th..after I made the call to book I just felt overwhelmed with questions like can I do this, it is the right choice for me?! Will I be motivated enough to see this through?! Joining this group and reading everyone's stories makes me feel at ease that I have made the right choice for me

I am confident that this will make my life undoubtedly better so I can for once feel a sense of happiness

I personally am VERY happy that I was banded. Life just got better and better and feels really good to live with a strong healthy body after so many years of being unhealthy. A year or so before being banded I slowly cut back on fast food and heavy meals, and switched to healthier homecooked meals. I even went on Weight Watchers for a year, lost a big 12 lbs. Whoopee ! Obviously , I needed help. Enter the the Lapband. I lost 50 lbs the 1st 7 months, and continued slowly to lose. Im 10 lbs from goal and I still eat normally, have little chocolate or WW

Sorry, operator error. I eat a little chocolate or WW ice cream every day, I m not deprived, I eat normally. My life has only changed for the better, not gotten worse . So the little bit of extra thought that I have to put into my band daily is time well spent, for me anyways. I hope all goes well for you and you make a decision thats the best for YOU . Good luck !!!

Hi there, getting banded was a big decision and the best I could have made for myself. I never considered anything more drastic -- at 52 I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before and I am some one who tends toward natural medicine. For me, the band has not posed any difficulties. I still love food, just in small amounts at appropriate intervals. I don't diet, per se, I just make good choices. Because if the band I am able to have a bit of something without triggering the impulse to finish that and then go find something else. I have satiety and that is so great, having the appetite monster off my back. If I wasn't so fond of wine and cheese I would be at goal now, but I'm happy taking it a bit more slowly now that I'm in normal range. We are on vacation and I needed a new bathing suit. Because my size 20 suit could fit two of me. I went into a job lots, pulled a 12 off the rack and it fits perfectly. It's a beautiful thing. Any one who is considering the band may benefit from the links below in my signature. I must have read the Dr. Simpson a hundred times to get it through my head that the band is not about restriction. And the Golden Rules helped me once banded to really understand how it works. It's all about the chewing and swallowing providing signals for satiety. Pretty fascinating. Good luck to you. Whatever you decide, the main thing is you are choosing yourself and your healthy future. Way to go!