Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just started using my CPAP machine this week. The mask I have is very basic, and just has 2 soft plastic/gel pieces that I insert into my nose.

I haven't been able to sleep a night yet because the nose piece keeps falling out, and the sound of the air blowing elsewhere wakes me.

Can anyone help? Has anyone else had this problem at all?

~*Ash*~

Okay, your insurance should cover the changing of your mask withint something like the first 30-60 days. Don't wait. Contact the company you got your CPAP from and tell them that the mask is not right for you. It should be totally included that they will bring you back in and try on several masks until you get one that works. You don't want obvious leakage around your face (though some, like mine, do blow out in front of my face because that is the way they are made, but you should not have any leakage at the sides, etc.). This should all be covered by your insurance...but do NOT wait.

I don't want one that covers my whole face tho. I like the fact that it just covers my nose, it's just there's a little nasal piece you take in and out (to clean and what not), and I can't get it to stay in place. I've thought about taking medical tape, and taping it down... what'd'ya think?

~*Ash*~

I tried those nasal pillow/prong masks, and just couldn't make them work. The one I have now covers my whole nose, I really like it. It's also pretty quiet. It's a Comfort-lite 2.

To me the Comfort Lite 2 is too bulky and it falls out of place when I move in my sleep, but I know other people do like it. I use the Swift by Resmed. It has what they call "nasal pillows" that sit under your nose rather than going in. I find that I do not have any trouble getting it to stay put with the strap system they have.

But the thing is, CPAP masks are such an individual issue. It's hard to know what will work for another person. You just have to try some. Hopefully you can do that without having to buy them in the process.

As for sound of noise coming from that machine, that can be a problem. Talk to the equipment company about getting the quietest machine possible. This is also not a guarantee of success because they will push the brands they carry, but its a start. I have an older model Respironics something-pro with C-Flex. It's a very quiet machine and I still use it even though I have a newer model machine.

All things considered, though, keep trying. Once you get rolling with the CPAP it can be well worth it. It can help you sleep a lot better and make you feel better in general. Apnea is very hard on your body all the way around.

To me the Comfort Lite 2 is too bulky and it falls out of place when I move in my sleep, but I know other people do like it. I use the Swift by Resmed. It has what they call "nasal pillows" that sit under your nose rather than going in. I find that I do not have any trouble getting it to stay put with the strap system they have.

But the thing is, CPAP masks are such an individual issue. It's hard to know what will work for another person. You just have to try some. Hopefully you can do that without having to buy them in the process.

As for sound of noise coming from that machine, that can be a problem. Talk to the equipment company about getting the quietest machine possible. This is also not a guarantee of success because they will push the brands they carry, but its a start. I have an older model Respironics something-pro with C-Flex. It's a very quiet machine and I still use it even though I have a newer model machine.

All things considered, though, keep trying. Once you get rolling with the CPAP it can be well worth it. It can help you sleep a lot better and make you feel better in general. Apnea is very hard on your body all the way around.

It's not the sound of the machine. It's when the nose piece comes out, the air leaks (So to speak) rather than going in my nose, it blows outwards, THAT's the noise that wakes me up.

Other than that one little piece coming out, I LOVE it.

~*Ash*~

It's not the sound of the machine. It's when the nose piece comes out, the air leaks (So to speak) rather than going in my nose, it blows outwards, THAT's the noise that wakes me up.

Other than that one little piece coming out, I LOVE it.

~*Ash*~

It's good that you have a quiet machine, what is the make and model?

What mask are you using?

The trick is stabilizing the mask relative to your face/nose. I use a Breeze: Puritan Bennett | Product | Inquiry and the strap system it has isn't sufficient to keep it in place. My sleep doc added a velcoized "wrap" that crosses under the chin, over the ears and across the top of the head.

Once that was added the movement problem was resolved.

I haven't been able to find any thing similar to my mask online, and I have my paperwork at home. So I'll have to get back to you. All the one's I've seen similar to mine have a chin strap, which mine doesn't, I think that might help me actually.

~*Ash*~

Get with your provider of the machine. They should have MULTIPLE masks for you to try. Keep trying (use it about a week before you decide it doesn't work unless the initial fit is just ridiculous). These masks are not cheap, so you don't want to go past your exchange period and have to foot the bill yourself. I use a 2 prong nose mask. I wonder if you have the same thing I do. What is the mask name? Mine blows out (but not in my face, unless I really get my face squashed down in the pillow and smush the nose prongs. At first I thought it was a faulty mask, but they said it was supposed to be that way. My machine is absolutely quiet and the air escaping (correctly) from my mask I consider "white noise" which helps me sleep.< /p>

I haven't been able to find any thing similar to my mask online, and I have my paperwork at home. So I'll have to get back to you. All the one's I've seen similar to mine have a chin strap, which mine doesn't, I think that might help me actually.

~*Ash*~

Ash - where did you go for your sleep study test? Was it The sleep Center of Tulsa?

I was having major problems sleeping with my machine, they ended up giving me a chin strap which helped, but I would wake up in the middle of the night and take it off.

I went back and told them that, they ended up perscribing me Ambiem - I took that for about 1 week and presto, it helped me get used to sleeping with the machine. Now I can't sleep without it.

I'm worried I will have to give the machine up soon. lol. I'm down 70 lbs and the Dr. thinks another 20 lbs and I probably won't need it. I will have to do another test to make sure, but they think I will not need it once I get into the 160's.

I just started using my CPAP machine this week. The mask I have is very basic, and just has 2 soft plastic/gel pieces that I insert into my nose.

I haven't been able to sleep a night yet because the nose piece keeps falling out, and the sound of the air blowing elsewhere wakes me.

Can anyone help? Has anyone else had this problem at all?

~*Ash*~

Does your mask look like this: CPAP Machines and CPAP Masks for the Treatment of sleep Apnea I have the nasal pillow, and it would slide (the straps on the back of my head) off, then the air would wake me up as it was blowing all over my face.

One of the suggestions they game me is put my hair in pigtails and the straps under that. It worked.

They will really work with you to make sure that the mask is working out for you. I really believe that the machine is aiding in my weightloss, its boosting my matabolism up, its giving me more energy!

Does your mask look like this: CPAP Machines and CPAP Masks for the Treatment of sleep Apnea I have the nasal pillow, and it would slide (the straps on the back of my head) off, then the air would wake me up as it was blowing all over my face.

One of the suggestions they game me is put my hair in pigtails and the straps under that. It worked.

They will really work with you to make sure that the mask is working out for you. I really believe that the machine is aiding in my weightloss, its boosting my matabolism up, its giving me more energy!

Yeah it was sleep Center of Tulsa. And this is the mask I have (The link above just sent me to cpap.com) Opus Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask

~*Ash*~