Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is plastic surgery inevitable?

I hope to lose 80-100lbs. I am self-pay. It is going to definitely stretch us to do LB, I do not see how we could possibly do PS. Is there any chance that PS just wouldnt be needed? It seems as if everyone who loses the amt of weight that I want to lose needs it, whether they actually DO it or not.

Wow, it's gonna depend on your body style (where does your fat mainly sit...belly, all over, etc.) and heavily on your genetic predisposition and your age and probably also how fast you lose too. I think a lot of the "horror stories" you hear about are tied in with gastric bypass where the weight loss is extremely fast and the skin and tissue has no time to adjust. Might as well not worry about it though. It will be what it will be and you can only be proactive to a certain extent. You've got the rest of your life afterwards to consider the possibility of PS. Good luck! (I'm 55 and keeping a close look at my double chin going away.....that's the first thing I will be tackling if I wind up with an "old lady turkey neck"...ICK!

I think kacee is correct...hopefully it won't be necessary, but no sense worying prematurely. I've also heard that if you have a large excess of belly fat left over that causes rubbing and irritation that your doctor could deem it a necessity, therefore insurance might cover a tummy tuck/lower body lift. I will probably be faced with this dilema myself, as I have about 160 total to lose.

DH tells me that skin is so very elastic, and that in time, it will re-adjust. I don't see how! I am exercising, one of the reasons being I've also heard this helps (underlying muscle tissue if nothing else)! Would hate more stomach surgery...the incision looks huge, and one C-section taught me how painful they can be. Let's hope for the best!

Maybe if I ever need another cesarean my handydandy OB will oblige...probably unlikely, tho, huh? LOL...

I'll take the need for plastic surgery over the need to lose weight anyday!

I wouldnt' worry about it until the problem presents itself. Everyone is diffrerent. I have seen people who have lost 60-80 who would be a candidate for some sort of plastic surg. and the other end of the spectrum, myself who has lost 220 pounds and have had no real issue with loose skin and would not consider it.

It is for me! I didn't work this hard to look like a Shar Pei dog! :)

But not everyone needs it. If you are a smoker, you'll likely want it. If you are over 40, you'll likely want it. If you have more than 50lbs, odds are, you'll want it.

The "need" for plastic surgery is defined differently by everyone. I'm down 85 lbs, with 55 to go, and there are a few places that I intend to have done. I don't "need" it. Saggy boobs don't hurt me in any way (at least physical pain, looking in the mirror hurts, sometimes). I don't have any of the skin rashes that some people get, which would make it a "need".

Depending on age, how much you need to lose, how long you were big, and how fast you lose, you could end up with a significant amount of loose skin, or you could end up how I think I am going to (other than the boobs, lol), which is a little "squishy" in most places. I don't think my stomach will be saggy (it's not bad now, at all), but it wont be firm without surgery.