Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware And Be Aware-those Who Take Bp Meds!!!

<p>I was banded on 5-23. I was aware that there would eventually need to be some adjustments done on my various meds, including the three (Toprol, Diovan, Aceon) taken for blood pressure. However, I figured it would be after a substantial weight loss. I was wrong. I began being light headed this weekend, my sight was "vivid" and strange, I had "speckles" like before you pass out...I didn't feel "right". I attributed it to being hungry, but it didn't go away after I ate...I made the MISTAKE of driving 34 miles to my house Sunday and I should NOT have. Nothing happened, but several times I thought I might have to pull over to the side of the road. Because I was not "quite right" I was only partially aware that I was taking a big chance. I took my BP when I got home and it was about 62/46 on my cuff (which I assumed was wrong). Took it several more times and it was always below 90/60. Got up yesterday to go to work, and instead took only my Toprol. Even THAT was too much. BP through the day was extremely low, I was dizzy, speckles in the vision, etc. Went to the company nurse for confirmation and I was 88/50. Called my doctor and they fit me in immediately. I was heavily overdosed on my meds. I was cut back from 3 pills a day (including 100mg Toprol) to 50mg Toprol ONLY... My doctor said that you can need an adjustment after only a ten pound weight loss. (I have only lost about 20). Word to the wise folks on BP meds....be very aware of your reaction to your meds and stay in close touch with your GP. My situation could have easily been a disaster...passing out in the car, passing out at home or work and falling, etc.</p>

Thanks for the info. I will certainly keep that in mind when I finally do get banded! I would not have thought it would be so quick either. So glad you are safe and sound.

I'm glad you were okay and did not have an accident or worse!

This is a great thread and an excellent reminder to folks to ask about things like this. The Internal Medicine doc that works with my surgeon's practice stops all BP and "water" pills as well as oral hypoglycemics and then slowly restarts them if need be. His reasoning is just as you mentioned, it takes very little loss to have a huge effect on your system.

Thanks for posting this!

I have been talking to my GP about BP since before the band and it is the one thing she was the most concerned about keeping a really close eye on. I have to go once a month at first for her to keep tabs. I am 4 months post band and she already changed the meds twice to keep up with the weight loss. She tells me it is a good problem to have. But you are right, keep a close eye on it.

Good advice.......it was no time at all til I was off all bp meds and diabetic meds, too!!

I too was taken off my meds right after surgery...I was so low and very very low in hospital. I am still down 22 pounds since I started, but have not moved except up and down a couple of pounds, yet my BP raised back up. So I am back on the meds again. It is hard to gauge, but we need to be aware ourselves, and not wait for doctors to make the needed changes! Thanks for starting this thread! Good luck!

Kacee, I so glad to read this thread. This is happening to me too. Everytime I go to the doctor my b/p is fine, but at home it is way to low. Its been as low as 67/39. I think I need to get a new b/p meter that keeps track of the pressures, so I can take them to the doctor. Last time I saw him I told him, but he just went on to something else. I glad you got your problem fixed and hope you feeling better. This is the first time I have read when anyone else was having the same problem. Thanks for this thread, I now don't feel quite as crazy as I was beginning to think I was.

I was banded by Dr. Spivak and I think that folks who go to his support groups need to bring this up in discussion and emphasize this. I certainly will when I go in July.

I went the other way. Had the surgery and BP was so good for months I stopped taking my BP med (just one low dose).

Yesterday went to PCP for an unrelated issue and my BP is high (140/100). Guess it pays to keep an eye on your BP and see if it's on the way up or on the way down.

hi kacee,

thanks for posting this. i've been feeling dizzy lately. so i think i'd better check this out

i took myself off BP med and it went high. i put myself back on but now it's running low.

i know i know....my doctor needs to look at this. my brother always asks me what medical school i went to ha!

After my experience I felt like shouting it from the rooftops! It was a real eye-opener!

I too am on BP meds. I was about 160 over 90 i think before bp meds.

After my surgery i was 114/80 i think. I didnt take my BP meds for 2 weeks. Im on Lipsoil and Hydro something (water pill). I got a big headache yesterday and thought -- hmm better get back on em. So i took them this morning.

When i went to swim this morning my finger tips got really numb and cold and my toes too. Is this a sign of low bp? I need to get some way to test myself. Dont trust Walmarts tester and my arm is so big it wont fit anyway.

What do you use to test yourself? Can you give me a link?

MY GP cut my diabetic meds way back this monday I used to take 2500 per day and now just 500 once per day and I take starlix as well for the diabetes and I am doing great, my levels are so normal it is great and I take maxzide for HBP but it is the lowest dose so I will keep this in mind too