Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Sleeve on Wed.- a couple of questions-

Hey everyone,

I am scheduled for Wed morning and have a few questions. I have been reading about anesthesia for bariatric surgery and see that suggestions are made to intubate the patient while they are awake, or wait to remove the breathing tube until after the patient is awake. For those that have had the sleeve, do you remember having the tube placed or removed? Especially for those folks with sleep apnea- what was your going to sleep/waking up experience like?

Also, did they give you anything to calm nerves before they rolled you into the surgery room?

Needless to say, I am getting hit with the nerves now.

Thanks!

Was not awake to be intubated. Didn't know anything about it. I absolutely got the I don't care pill...lol

They put me to sleep before tubing me and woke me up after they removed it.

I was given a med for the nerves before the procedure. They said it would make me feel "good" for awhile but it literally last 2 minutes. Lucky for me tho the little girl across from me was given the same thing at the same time and hers lasted so I watched her be silly and that helped my nerves lol

I had bypass but I certainly wasn't awake for the intubation. I do remember getting the "happy juice" and hearing the dr say "she won't remember the last 30 minutes" as they wheeled me down the hall. I do actually remember not only the last 30 minutes but also the next 5 or so as I went in to operating room, but nothing after that until they woke me up in recovery. I have had about 10 other various surgeries and each time, the last thing I remember is them putting the oxygen mask on my face and telling me to take some deep breaths. The most nerve wracking part of surgery is the moments in between checking in at the hospital and the moment they finally give you the good stuff. If you are VERY anxious, they will sometimes give you a valium beforehand, but that has only happened to me once.

When I got to the hospital they had me get on my gown and i waited. The doc came and talked to me for a 15 seconds then the anesthesiologist for a couple minutes. After that they wheeled me in the back. they put the mask on me and told me to breath deep then i was out. I woke up and hadn't even know that my surgery was done.

I don't remember anything after they inserted the IV and started the good stuff. Versed is really good stuff. I don't even really remember going into the operating room and I woke up in my hospital room. The worst part for me was that they had trouble starting the IV. Apparently they put it in one place and moved it twice while I was in surgery.

Hey everyone,

I am scheduled for Wed morning and have a few questions. I have been reading about anesthesia for bariatric surgery and see that suggestions are made to intubate the patient while they are awake, or wait to remove the breathing tube until after the patient is awake. For those that have had the sleeve, do you remember having the tube placed or removed? Especially for those folks with sleep apnea- what was your going to sleep/waking up experience like?

Also, did they give you anything to calm nerves before they rolled you into the surgery room?

Needless to say, I am getting hit with the nerves now.

Thanks!

Hey, for the nerves, if it's really bad, they will give you something once they get your IV in. I wasn't nervous at all but they still gave me a relaxant (think this is standard, at least here in ROA VA) I have sleep apnea and they only intubated me once I went to sleep and took it out before I woke up...they WILL NOT place it while you are awake...please trust in that.....just try to relax as much as possible, in no time at all you will be on the other side and feeling better and better! I have not used my CPAP since my surgery and feeling great, don;t feel the need for it (nothing official yet) When I woke up (became aware) I was already in recovery, very groggy, but felt fine...nurse kept hollering at me to take deep breaths (need to expel all that C02) but I kept falling back asleep lol....by the time I was taken to my room, all was good, felt great, even moved myself to my bed from the gurney...the nurses were surprised...pain had not kicked in yet...but you get a pain med pump soon after...still I didn't really have all that much pain (high tolerance myself)

You will do great! Good Luck!!