Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I'm new to this but I'm ready for this!

Hello! My name is Rhonda and I am in the first stages of seeking a new way of life. I have my first doctor's appointment July 6 and I am so looking forward to getting closer to getting sleeved! I have BCBS of IL (ID# XOF) and was told by BCBS my surgery is approved contingent upon a medical review. My BMI is at a 47 however, I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc., all the illness that have been associated with being over weight. What are they looking for to grant approval? Will they approve my surgery? I am so scared they may deny it! Then what will I do?

I've always dealt with my weight fluctuating, yo-yo dieting and finally, recently, just throwing in the towel to fat defeat. After the birth of my third ( and last) child back in 2007, I never could really get the weight off for good. This brings me to my concerns in my present day. The girls are more active and I can't keep up due to my weight. I even feel bad for making excuses and having my son be the go to person for all physical activities. I am either tired.... really I'm embarrassed.

I'm not really nervous about the surgery but I am afraid of losing my comforters - chips and liquid calories from soda to nightly glasses of wine. I am ready to make the change and I realize it starts now, not the day after surgery.

Fingers crossed!

Welcome! We've all been there, and know exactly how you're feeling.

Having this surgery is literally blood, sweat, and tears, but it really is worth it if you are willing to do the work.

Good luck on the process and keep us posted!

Hi Rhonda and welcome. As @@Babbs said it does take work and commitment. We have all been there and some of us are still working at it and new to it.

As far as insurance sometimes they will also consider your BMI along with family history. You can contact your insurance yourself and ask for a copy of your coverage to see what they need to see. This may put your mind at ease or at least give you a heads up to find info for them.

Go ahead now and start moving yourself to a higher Protein, lower carb lifestyle. Then it is not a shock to your brain after surgery when those bad eating habits are all gone at once.

Good luck!!

I too was worried about the same things. I started in March and when I found out my BCBS required 6 months of omnipresent diet before surgery I was really bummed. Now I will be done with everything on August 19 th and will then schedule surgery. I think I needed all these months to mentally prepare. I immediately went off soda, caffeine and alcohol..... I've lost 36 pounds so far and am hoping to have 50 gone before surgery. This forum is a great way to stay focused. I'm not sure I would be doing as well as I am without it. This is a great supportive group. Everyone has been in the same place so there is no judgement. Just support

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it! Sometimes family think they are being supportive but it's not what you need. Thank God for forums like this!

Hi and welcome! I didn't have any precursors either and my BMI was 49. I am BCBS IL as well. I was sleeved at a BCBS center of Excellence so I was approved quickly after the 6 mos prep.