Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out, not losing weight?

I lost weight on the pre-op diet, but a week out from surgery I've only lost a few more. I'm down 17lbs, 13 of which was on the pre-op diet. 4 since surgery a week ago. And honestly I lost more than that the first few days (dehydration I imagine) and gained a pound or tow in the last two days. Should I assume this is just my body reacting to surgery, swelling, etc? In the first few days I was home my rings fit perfectly for the first time in a long time, but now they are tight again. I had a hernia repair too and had a lot of trouble getting fluids down do to swelling in the esophogus...they put me on some medication that helped and today is the first day I'm going to hit my 65oz of Fluid. The last two days it was around 40-45oz, and before that under 30oz. I got 60 grams of Protein the last two days, 40 the day before that, and less before that. Was on clear fluids the first 3 days. Now on full fluids, including cream Soups, yogurt, sugar free pudding, and of course shakes (they don't go down so well) and Protein powder added to things. Carbs have been between 39 and 65. Calories have been around 350-500, today I'm higher though, around 650. I was losing well on 800-1000 a day in pre-op, it seems crazy that I'm losing less now while eating less.

Your body will do crazy things after surgery. Dehydration, retaining Fluid, Constipation, shock -- lots of things could be taking a toll on your body. Stay off the scale for a while (like 2 -3 weeks at least). Adding stress to your situation won't help and it sounds like the scale is doing nothing but causing stress. There is no way your body is gaining fat on the amount of calories you are taking in, but you can't control the rate of weight loss. Pauses here and there are perfectly normal, particularly right after surgery.

Your body will do crazy things after surgery. Dehydration, retaining Fluid, Constipation, shock -- lots of things could be taking a toll on your body. Stay off the scale for a while (like 2 -3 weeks at least). Adding stress to your situation won't help and it sounds like the scale is doing nothing but causing stress. There is no way your body is gaining fat on the amount of calories you are taking in, but you can't control the rate of weight loss. Pauses here and there are perfectly normal, particularly right after surgery.

Thank you. My brain knows this, but I still need to hear it.

Losing 4 lbs a week in awesome! I am 6'2" and I am losing an average of 5 lbs. per week. Everyone is different so truly don't sweat the scale at this point. If you get to 3 months out and have only lost 4 lbs., then probably time to examine what is going on. The weight loss is no linear...I lose about 4 lbs and then stop for a period of 3-10 days, then lose 8 lbs, gain back 2 and then nothing for 5 days. I only weigh myself once a week now as my body is all over the map. The good thing is that the trend is down. I hope to be at my goal weight by Christmas. At your current 4 lbs...you will hit your goal weight in about 4 and 1/2 months. Keep your eyes on the long prize and ignore the short term fluctuations.