Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't feel like I had surgery

I'm 9 days post op. I've had no complications, which, don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for. Aside from not feeling hungry I feel like nothing has changed. Is this weird or normal? I'm afraid that I'll eat too much at some point and stretch my pouch out because I don't even get the dumping issue. Anybody else have this?

I felt like the same. I am only 15 days out. You shouldn't have dumping this early if you are still drinking fluids only and not drinking anything high sugar. (Someone had to tell me this when I had the same question. :) ) I hope I never get it but I know some people hope they do. I learned today what eating too much might cause (and managed to stop just before), so trust me once you start with foods, you will know you had surgery.

Incidentally I asked my NUT on Wednesday if it was ok that I was drinking 8 oz Fluid per hour on average already and she said that was great as long as it was in sips. The first few days I could only get 4 oz per hour but right about day 8 or 9 it changed. Its a good thing. As long as I don't gulp and wait in between sips, I cannot overfill my pouch.

I am 11 days out and now that the gas pain is gone, I feel like I didn't have nothing done either. I'm grateful.

I chose to drink Water as I felt comfortable doing even before getting out of the hospital. After they forced me to drink almost 10 ounces of barium swallow all at once, less than 12 hours after surgery, they had a hard time convincing me to sip an ounce an hour. LOL! My doctor laughed when I said the same thing to her and agreed that 3-4 ounces every half hour, weren't going to harm my stomach.

I feel hydrated and not hungry most of the time. I'm happy with weight loss so far and just hope that when I switch to solid food that I FEEL my stomach.

DB

I'm having the same experience too. I keep wondering if my stomach is really the size of an egg or not because I'm feeling well. Kinda wish I could see an x-ray. LOL. I'm grateful this process has been good so far.

Until I moved to meat I never had any issues eating. No side effects no issues. My only issue now is that I need to slow down. I'm around 55 days post opp and just feeling the dif when I eat.

Just curious-do you all think that if you started surgery at a lower bmi that you may have had an easier recovery/no complications? I am just over the bmi that qualifies me for approval (with sleep apnea and gerd as comorbid conditions)...surgery scheduled for 1 week from tomorrow and I still don't know if I'm approved! But I am praying for a complication-free experience! I have things I want to do this summer!

My bmi was 43-45 I think. I think it depends on you and your surgeon how fast you recover. If you put in the work and start moving you'll move faster. I'm a pretty fast healer and only 29 years old so these are all factors of coarse.

My BMI was 40 no complications so far. I had surgery May 29th. I'm 30. Also, I didn't feel like I had surgery until I dumped for the first time on chicken salad. It was awful. I thought the same thing about the barium too

My doc said the better shape you're in before surgery, the easier your recovery. A month before surgery I purchased a Fitbit and increased my walking to 8000 steps per day (not always able to hit 10K). Try to get moving before - I believe it makes a difference regardless of starting BMI.

@@Mobeans63 - if it makes you feel better, I am 47 and was 43-45 BMI at surgery time and also have had no complications - until I tried tuna which didn't stay down. I think I just didn't chew it well enough - so still not a complication. And I wasn't someone that had been exercising a lot before. In fact, I am (was) Type 2 Diabetic, Graves Disease (thyroid disorder), had a stress fracture in my heal, blah blah blah. All to say, don't think if you are slightly older or have a slightly higher BMI or aren't as in good of a shape as you wish, that you won't have a complication free procedure. I am proof that is still possible! :D Best of luck to you! Just do exactly as your doctor and NUT tell you!