Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starch-free POULTRY dish for party?

I’m hosting a birthday party this Sunday at noon. Along with the requisite chicken nuggets & tatter-tots for the 4yos in attendance :biggrin1:, I’m looking for a poultry main dish without Pasta or bread or RICE as an essential element, though I’m not opposed to breadcrumbs or cracker topping since they don't get stuck!

I’ll BBQ as a fallback, but I’d really like to have in my repertoire a recipe for a crowd-pleasing, starch-free casserole or something. Ya know, a dish I can serve guests or bring elsewhere with a bit of pride… I'm not a big cook, especially these days, but I’m getting tired of chili & meatballs (in all their variations) as the only things I can prep simply & transport with ease!!

:help: Any suggestions for a Band-friendly, starch-free, poultry main course that won’t leave carb-lovers wondering what's missing?!?

i like pulled chicken in a crock pot. My husband loves to make sandwiches out of it.

I will just list it how I make it for us .

6 chicken legs or 5 thighs salt and pepper

3/4 bottle of fav BBQ Sauce

12 oz coke

chicken first

pour sauce and coke over chicken

8 hours on low

chicken falls off bone

edie

I love to make chicken in the oven, I dip it in buttermilk, (water works too) and then in instant mashed potato flakes. (Idaho are my fave, they come in a red box) Then bake as usual. You can make them any flavor you like, ranch, garlic, just about any dry seasoning added to the potato flakes works very well. It adds some carbs, but taste like fried chicken without all the fat and oil. ~Mandy

Both ideas sound delicious! :hungry:

I usually buy my pulled chicken BBQ in a tub at the grocery store, but making it with your instructions sounds easy. And, oh, how I adore KC Masterpiece!

I've never heard of potato flakes as breading, but like I said...I'm not a huge cook. I used to make a breaded ranch chicken, but it'd be too dry for me now. Do the flakes help keep the chicken moist?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I use the flakes all the time, the buttermilk helps with moisture. I have also used mayo. I add ranch dressing mix, and make ranch chicken. It's like shake-n-bake without the salt. ~Mandy

Hmmm, well, if it doesn't have to be fat free I might have a winner for you! This is loaded with fat, but is low-carb friendly. It seems like it might be band friendly, too! This is sooooo delicious, and my non low carbing friends loved it too!

PammyJo's Mexicalli chicken Bake

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

base

1 1/2 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast tenders (I cut mine in bite size chunks)

1 can (4 oz) of diced green chiles

1 can (10 oz) of diced tomatos w/green chiles (I used the Rotel brand)

Salt & Pepper (whatever amt. you're used too)

In a 8x8 baking dish lay the chicken tenders and top with the diced green chiles and the diced tomatos w/green chiles. Add salt and pepper. Bake for about 40 minutes (I like mine well done...but you can adjust to your preferred doneness, just make sure to drain off any excess liquid before adding topping) . While chicken is baking...prepare the topping below.

topping

4 oz of cream cheese (softened)

2 large eggs

1/4 cup of sour cream

2 Cups of Shredded cheese (Mexican 4 cheese blend variety)

1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin

Mix all the above ingrediants well

After about 40 minutes, remove chicken from oven and drain off any liquid. Pour the topping over the top of the baked chicken and spread evenly. Bake for another 10-15 mins. or until topping is set.

Optional: Garnish with chilled sour cream, chopped green onions and or avocado wedges.

For the whole recipe: 2396 Calories; 144g Fat (55.2% calories from fat); 236g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1156mg Cholesterol; 3654mg Sodium.

Zannie, I just read that you aren't a big cook. Well, neither am I and this is sooo easy. I have about four recipes in my very limited cooking repertoire and this is one of them!

Oooh, that sounds good too!

Day-to-day I try to watch the sat.fats, but when you cut out the carbs, you've got to replace them with something! For a special event I want Band-friendly more than low-fat foods. :biggrin1: